My Super Ex-Girlfriend: Terrible Movie (SPOILERS)

jack knife

Don Juan
Reaction score
I saw this movie last night. It was cute, had some good laughs, but most of all it showed me everything that is wrong with how the media portrays human relations.

Has anyone else seen it? If you haven't seen it and plan to, don't read what I'm about to say, because it will probably ruin the movie for you.

SPOILERS:

Luke Wilson plays the nice guy (AFC) who can't get a break with women. His friend Rainn Wilson plays the role of egocentric, don't-give-a-fuċk jerk, who claims to be a pro with the ladies and coaches Luke Wilson through the movie. This sounds about right to me, but then the movie fuċks it all up.

When Luke Wilson approaches Uma Thurman, he is nervous, cluttered, and unconfident. Then through a series of AFC manuvers, he convinces her to go on a date with him, but instead of taking her number, SHE TAKES HIS! Already Luke Wilson has lost his dignity.

Rainn Wilson, on the other hand, is seen in a bar with a smooth composure and a rehearsed approach. He is shot down and ignored. Toward the end of the movie he confesses that he hasn't gotten laid in years. Our jerk with an attitude ends up being a loser with the ladies.

Uma Thurman of course ends up being a super hero with amazing powers. She dominates Luke Wilson in every aspect of their relationship, especially in bed. Luke Wilson even states at one point that he feels completely emasculated by her and her powers (AFC!!)

My least favorite aspect of the movie is what happens when Luke Wilson is at work. Lukes boss, played by Wanda Sykes, constantly attacks Luke on behalf of his "sexual harrassment". Luke can't express any affection for Anna Faris, the girl who he secretly loves, without being humiliated. By the end of the movie Luke Wilson manages to friend his way into the heart of Anna Faris, who "finally realizes" how great of a person he really is.

And then we have Eddie Izzard, who plays the part of Uma Thurman's arch-nemesis with a serious case of one-itis. He is hellbent on destroying Uma Thurman because of his massive infatuation for her. Of course since the movie has a happy ending, he ends up getting the one girl he desires.

This movie is completely contrary to my perception of men and women. I tried to explain why I didn't like this movie to a female friend of mine, and she called me stupid, stubborn, etc., saying how the nice guy always gets the girl and friendship is the way to a woman's heart and blah blah blah. It's no wonder men are so clueless these day with women with crap like this being drilled into their heads.

BuryYourDead

Banned
Reaction score
jack knife said:
I saw this movie last night. It was cute, had some good laughs, but most of all it showed me everything that is wrong with how the media portrays human relations.

Has anyone else seen it? If you haven't seen it and plan to, don't read what I'm about to say, because it will probably ruin the movie for you.

SPOILERS:

Luke Wilson plays the nice guy (AFC) who can't get a break with women. His friend Rainn Wilson plays the role of egocentric, don't-give-a-fuċk jerk, who claims to be a pro with the ladies and coaches Luke Wilson through the movie. This sounds about right to me, but then the movie fuċks it all up.

When Luke Wilson approaches Uma Thurman, he is nervous, cluttered, and unconfident. Then through a series of AFC manuvers, he convinces her to go on a date with him, but instead of taking her number, SHE TAKES HIS! Already Luke Wilson has lost his dignity.

Rainn Wilson, on the other hand, is seen in a bar with a smooth composure and a rehearsed approach. He is shot down and ignored. Toward the end of the movie he confesses that he hasn't gotten laid in years. Our jerk with an attitude ends up being a loser with the ladies.

Uma Thurman of course ends up being a super hero with amazing powers. She dominates Luke Wilson in every aspect of their relationship, especially in bed. Luke Wilson even states at one point that he feels completely emasculated by her and her powers (AFC!!)

My least favorite aspect of the movie is what happens when Luke Wilson is at work. Lukes boss, played by Wanda Sykes, constantly attacks Luke on behalf of his "sexual harrassment". Luke can't express any affection for Anna Faris, the girl who he secretly loves, without being humiliated. By the end of the movie Luke Wilson manages to friend his way into the heart of Anna Faris, who "finally realizes" how great of a person he really is.

And then we have Eddie Izzard, who plays the part of Uma Thurman's arch-nemesis with a serious case of one-itis. He is hellbent on destroying Uma Thurman because of his massive infatuation for her. Of course since the movie has a happy ending, he ends up getting the one girl he desires.

This movie is completely contrary to my perception of men and women. I tried to explain why I didn't like this movie to a female friend of mine, and she called me stupid, stubborn, etc., saying how the nice guy always gets the girl and friendship is the way to a woman's heart and blah blah blah. It's no wonder men are so clueless these day with women with crap like this being drilled into their heads.
you read to much dj bible, take my advice, if you havnt finished reading it, dont, your

madgame

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think there've been one or more threads about this before: hollywood says the nice guy wins and that women are all good at heart and want a good men and b/c of those movies (of which there are many more than just this one), people say stuff like they want to be themselves, even if 'themselves' isn't themselves but it's what they've seen in TV all day every day, thought it was true and were thus molded into so-called AFC's. Than they find out it doesn't work that way at some point in time hesitate to change their game plan, but finally do and years later 'themselves' is confident alpha males (in the ideal case ;-)).

Ace of Flames

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Everywhere you want to be.... I'm like a Visa card
You missed the whole part about it being... um.... fictional. Its entertainment value, not a dating guide. But anyway, I'll counter your points.

Luke WAS total AFC, but he dressed nice and is good-looking. He got up the balls to apporach a random woman on the subway, even if what he said wasn't the greatest. 90% is how you say it, 10% is what you say. Then he ran after the guy and got the purse. That's just a gentlemanly thing to do, not AFC or DJ. Hiding in the dumpster... ok yea, loser. But remember, its a comedy, so they have to do something funny. Then he gives her his number. In real life, bad idea. In the movie, however, think about it. She's a super hero! She's busy most of the time, so he'd call and most likely she'd be out. Also, keeping up her secret idendity and all that, so its just better if she calls him.

Now this is important to keep in mind. Uma's character is a total psycho! Did you miss this or something? Its conveyed throughout the entire movie. Remember the trifecta? Controlling, neurotic, crazy mood swings... all signs of a psycho.

Then there's Rainn. Yea, he had a whole set planned out for the barista chick, and he delivered it confidently. But look at him! Kind of a nerdy style. Also, he was persistant, which is good, but he kept bothering the poor girl at WORK, and I'm pretty sure the bar was always busy when they showed it. She was obviously really stressed out, and some guy hitting on you during a coffee rush doesn't help. Rainn had the mindset, but totally screwed up with his timing, style, and his line was over-the-top anyway.

Being dominated by the female super hero? Its a romantic comedy aimed at women. .....Duh.

Boss bugging him at work? That's serious stuff man. Messing around with girls at work is a slippery slope. You saw the movie. Just look at a girl's ass and you could get sued! Yea, that's a little exaggerated, but you still have to watch it. Some women will take you to court over dumb things like that, just for the money.

I think Anna's character liked Luke the whole time. You didn't get that impression? She clearly didn't see much in her bf anymore. When Luke got the date with Uma, it seemed to bother her. She let him off for "sexually harrassing" her. I'd say SHE was the one who secretly loved HIM.

As for Eddie and Uma getting together in the end, I think that's all Hollywood. The movie needs a happy ending, so everyone needs to get with someone. Plus, with the added super hero thing, they needed to "defeat" the villian somehow, and in this case, it was to turn him over to good.

Of course its contrary to real life. Hollywood is the OPPOSITE of real life. The point of a movie is to escape reality. If you rely on movies for all your dating advise, you'll never get anywhere, and that goes for both guys and girls. Your female friend is misled as well. Just sitting around as the helpless damsel and waiting for the cute guy to come along, like most movies, will have you old and alone in no time.

Delta

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i went to see it for luke's facial expressions alone! hahaha, the whole thing with the bed and then when she says that the only reason she didn't kill him was because she thought he would come back (the drink turn and then the little change in the eyes)... HILARIOUS.

also, SHE took him to be dj... remember when she was saying how she always had to rescue people but he was HER hero (because of the purse)... it was a trick of circumstance and her savior complex that did it. in this, it can be true to life - certain kinds of damage leads you to value certain kinds of qualities or even imagine them.

i believe critiquing hollywood is a valid endeavor though. sure, "it's just a movie" but no harm in talking about it.

after all, all are is an interpretation of reality and so a very common line of critique is how the interpretation departs from reality and why.

delta

jack knife

Don Juan
Reaction score
Ace of Flames said:
Of course its contrary to real life. Hollywood is the OPPOSITE of real life. The point of a movie is to escape reality. If you rely on movies for all your dating advise, you'll never get anywhere, and that goes for both guys and girls. Your female friend is misled as well. Just sitting around as the helpless damsel and waiting for the cute guy to come along, like most movies, will have you old and alone in no time.
I don't get my dating advice from movies because I know better. I feel sorry for people who don't know better and who actually believe in this kind of stuff. Like I said, when I tried explaining my interpretation of the movie to my female friend, she disagreed and said I was stupid.

I like the movie True Lies. What happened to movies like that one :confused: