Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

My landlord's selling my apartment. Requests that I move out. Compensation!

jbbrain

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So my landlady is this 71 year old woman who wants out of the real estate game and is trying to sell her building, of which my apartment is a part.

She came over 2 days ago with 'some bad news'. Apparently she found a buyer and I'm going to have to move out she they can renovate the place and move in themselves. Something sounded a bit fishy with her matter-of-factness in her way of telling me. I asked her about my rights as a tenant, the fact that the new lease is automatically renewed July 1st and that that would only leave me 2 months to find a new place! To make a long story short I knew, without REALLY knowing, there had to be more of a heads up for this to be legit.

Anyways, so she agrees with me. Mentions that the new buyer has to give 6 month's notice (at least in Quebec Canada) before the lease is to end in order to kick the tenant out.

Rent is 2500 bucks. She offers to give me June off. I'm thinking of asking 3-4 months as she'll be walking into about 1,500,000 when this deal goes down. Is that fair or am I being a **** or too soft? I have no experience playing hardball with landlords.

Things to consider: I quit my job so I can work from home as it's a great environment. Not sure if I'll find something similar in 2 months. Paid over 10 grand for furniture that really suits the place well, again who knows if I'll need it all in my new place. Paid over 2500 to paint this place. Again, would not have done it had I known I'd be out in only a year etc etc.

Gaucho

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Ah, long time no see Brain. This is old Clooney.

Funny situation you are in, because I am in the same boat here in Australia. I have to be out of my place in 2 months. I am actually going to move in with family for a while and then look to buy a place. I vowed never again to rent becuase the same thing happened with furniture, making the place nice, and then the guy is just going to sell it now. Rent is actually generally a better economic result than owning and paying the interest on the loan, but things like this make you realise the stability and less stress of just owning a place and having no worry of being uprooted.

Anyways, in Australia, I have to be out in the 2 months (looked into the law), but unsure over there in Quebec. You can probably find a site online giving renters rights in your City pretty easily, thats how I found out for my situation here.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
the new buyer has to give 6 month's notice (at least in Quebec Canada) before the lease is to end in order to kick the tenant out.

You're lucky that you get that. Otherwise, your only rights would be those provided by the lease. And at the end of a lease, they can throw you out. Or you can move even if they beg you to stay. That's just how it works. If you want to stay for a very long time, negotiate a long-term lease.

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
the model lease i deal with on a daily basis at work states that the landlord will give a 60 day notice to the resident if the lease should change. this means that if we reword the lease or if we sell it and a new owner comes in , then they still have a 60 day notice. therefore if we sold our property, we would have a 60 day notice to the residents which would allow them to do a 30 day notice and move out and get their security deposit back before going into a new lease. once that time limit is up, the new owners would be making any existing residents sign a new lease with them and it is all out of our hands.