"She's Out of Your League"

You've said it a hundred times. Maybe a thousand. And every time you say it, you train your brain to freeze the next time she walks into the room.

Leagues are a myth invented by guys who are scared of women.

She's a person. She has bad breath in the morning. She picks songs she can't sing in the shower. She overthinks her own texts.

Walk over. Say something. The league dissolves the second you open your mouth.

Read more...

My Independence Day

imnexthere

Don Juan
Joined
Jan 9, 2003
Messages
165
Reaction score
0
Location
small university campus
Lately many of our older DJs on the forum have gone to their college orientations and as an incoming high school senior that has got me thinking seriously about college and what kind of life I want for myself in the future.

The way I see it there are 2 major choices that we must make as we leave high school. Our major and what kind of education we are looking for out of our college years and whether we want to go away or stay near our families. I wont be covering the 1st choice here because everyone is different and that is a very individual choice. What I want to discuss is whether to stay at home, find an apartment or live on campus and what it ultimately means about our sence of independence. I'll be talking alot about my situation and what I've seen. Maybe I'm wrong but then again....

I live in NYC and as a result have many outstanding colleges very close to me. This is both a blessing and a curse. It's great in that it would allow many to live at home and thus save a ton of money . It is a curse in that it would allow many to live at home and thus never actually grow up.

I have seen first hand what living at home during college years can do to a person. I like to call it the "high school plus" syndrome in that these people live like they are pretty much still in high school. They live, sleep and eat on their parents dime, they live in the same room that they have always been in and so on. While this is a great way to save money it's a ****ty way to grow up. Living like this in my experience does only one thing
sap one's will to succeed. And why wouldnt it? These people can just go to class and sit on their ass the rest of the day knowing that everything is taken care of and they are essentially treated like kids. My cousin graduated college after living at home and it totally ruined her. She went from going to a top high school, having tons of ambition academically to after living at home in "high school plus" for 4 years her life is pure ****. She doesn't care and has a crummy job and guess whatshe still lives at home surprise surprise when you are treated like a kid you dont want to grow up.

My other cousin who is the same age turned out totally different. She was a screw up in high school and barely got a diploma. Yet when she turned 18 her father told her that he would pay for college but she needed to "get the **** out of his house". So she did. It was a tough 4 years of her essentially having no money but now that she graduated her will to succeed is massive. She just finished her masters in psycology at NYU, got married, had a kid and is definately on the right track.

This brings me to my situation. Being that I am a hypocrite I want as much independence as possible while also having some money. Right now I have it easy. I have a great paying job that will by the end of the summer have given me just enough money to finish paying off my car and insurance for the next year but for college I have 2 options.

I can either go away to U.of Tampa ($17k + room&board /year) or Baruch CityHonestly Baruch College here in NYC ($7k/year). Both are great for what I want to do but both would give me vastly different living situations. Tampa would afford me the typical college dorm lifestyle which would be great and I think I would enjoy it very much. But it costs alot and a chunk of the $$$ would have to come from my pocket leaving me with no money because my awesomely well paying job is sitting in NJ. On the other hand I could go to Baruch and live in NYC. The tuition is cheap enough that my father has agreed to pick up the entire tab for me leaving me with pleanty of money. However, there is no way in hell that I will be living in my house. My house is a 2 family with a fully separate apartment attached. Would living in an apartment be enough to help be live on my own and avoid the temptation to go upstairs and have my parents take care of everything? Only time will tell.
 

“The 22 Rules That Flip the Script With Women… And How You Can Use Them Tonight”

Most guys accidentally kill attraction before they even speak. They assume they need a bigger bank account, a better physique, or smoother lines. They miss the point.

Female desire operates on a specific set of psychological triggers.  Break them, and you're invisible. Follow them, and you become magnetic.

I learned this the hard way. Years of freezing up. Getting friend-zoned. Watching other guys walk away with the girl I wanted. Then I discovered a set of 22 simple rules that rewired my entire approach.

Read more...

Eternal

Master Don Juan
Joined
Dec 7, 2001
Messages
5,511
Reaction score
10
A few things to think about:

- Don't limit your choices to only two schools right now. The more you look around, the better.

- Don't live in your house or apartment. Live in the dorms on campus.

- Personally, I'd go with the cheaper college because of smaller class sizes, less people, and easier to get along with everyone there.

- Apply to "Wingate University" in North Carolina just for the hell of it. I did and got a free t-shirt from them. :D

- Work as much as possible during this year. Grades and a job. You might be able to get a scholarship and save more money for yourself.

That's about it right now from me. Enjoy and watch out for tornadoes (inside joke.)
 

BWSL2

Senior Don Juan
Joined
Jun 2, 2002
Messages
356
Reaction score
0
Location
I don't know where I'm coming from
In the past, I've usually found that going the cheap route often gets you cheap results. Maybe the big payment now will give you much bigger dividends in the future. I don't know if that applies here, but it is food for thought.
 

Kingz28

Don Juan
Joined
Mar 20, 2003
Messages
45
Reaction score
0
Location
Ohio
You would be surprised. I went to a prep high schoolschool on the same campus as the college I now attend. My parents figured that since we lived so close, they wouldn't pay the extra money for me to live there. I thought it was gonna suck, and it sort of did for the first few months. I was smart though... I had a friend or two I knew from highschool that I would hang out with all day after class in the dorms, and soon enough, I knew just about everyone. Noone really even knew I commuted.. Eventually I found a friend that let me pretty much move in and live on the couch in his dorm. From then on I partied everynight after class, and slept on the futon in their room. It was great, I pretty much had free room and board.. So if you do it right, you can still have the "college experience."
 
Top