"She Made Her Decision Before You Finished Your Sentence"

Three seconds. That's how long it took. Your shoes. Your posture. The way you held your drink. Whether you looked at the floor or looked at her.

She already filed you away. Interesting. Boring. Safe. Bold. Before you even opened your mouth.

Everything you say after that is just her confirming what she already decided.

So stop rehearsing lines. Fix the first three seconds. Stand tall. Look up. Smile like you mean it. Walk like you belong wherever you're standing.

The words come later. The impression comes first.

Read more...

My Friends Just Buy Me Stuff, Don't Want Or Expect Anything in Return

davidcarr

Banned
Joined
Oct 21, 2018
Messages
164
Reaction score
47
They buy me tickets, they buy me drinks, they buy me food, just minor stuff. But once they ask, they don't even wait for an answer, they just buy it. So I have to accept or else it goes to waste. So I'm stuck saying yes. It's not like I hate what they buy me, it's great.

I can pay them back, but it's not mandatory. I try to do the same, buying food and drinks, but I've gotten multiple refusals. They're like 'I got this,' or my female friends will just walk away from the bar and drag me away. They don't even say 'you get the next round' or wait for me to pay for that next round, they just pay. Shrugs.

I'm starting to feel like a mooch. We're all at a similar income level I assume. We have money but we're not billionaires or trust fund babies.

I don't count nickels but I'm having trouble getting friends to accept these types of gifts in return. None of these occasions is a big deal in and of itself, but it's become a pattern. At least I'm staring to notice.

Maybe I should just jump the gun and pay next time and use their same strategy. :)
 

"I just moved here from Florida."

That sentence contains at least five follow-up questions she WANTS you to ask. Where in Florida? What brought you here? How long have you been in the area? What do you miss? How does it compare to here?

She handed them to you on a silver platter. And you said, "Oh cool. I come here every week. I love this band. Ummm... pretty crowded tonight."

She smiled politely. Nodded. And never texted you back.

I was that guy for years. Talking too much. Listening too little. Panicking about my next sentence while she was literally feeding me the answers.

Then I found 22 rules that fixed the whole thing. Rule number one: shut up and listen. She'll tell you exactly what to say.

Read more...

Serenity

Moderator
Joined
Aug 19, 2013
Messages
5,150
Reaction score
5,056
Age
35
Location
Eye of the storm
I too have friends like that. You have to think kinda backwards about this. Instead of everyone keeping track of how much they've paid others they keep track of how much others spent on them, just like you are doing now. It is a lot nicer to insist on paying rather than demand others to pay though. This works fine as long as everyone in the group has the same philosophy, it breaks down if one guy abuses it. So it is a trust based system where you trust the others to have a sense of wanting to keep it balanced by paying another time.

Although an exact record is not kept, the one guy that never pays or offers to pay will be noticed. So if you want to be a part it's better to contribute, insist on it especially if you notice you have been given more than you have given back.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

davidcarr

Banned
Joined
Oct 21, 2018
Messages
164
Reaction score
47
I think I'm reasonably conscientious about this.

Even if I decline however, they 'force' me to accept. Meaning like I said, they don't take no for an answer and buy no matter what.

I insisted on buying drinks for a female friend. She dragged me away from the bar. I actually owed her money. But she accepted a free drink from another female friend. So that was a head scratcher.

Next time I won't ask. I'll just buy.
 
Top