my ab routine please look at

AFK Protector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey these look pretty good. I found a similar routine at bodybuilding.com recommended by some DJs. However, the one you have is clearer since there are photos and whatnot. After the first day, I remember hurting like a little b1tch in my lower abs, which is where I was lacking muscle.

I think its cool and I thank you for linking me to it as I'll use it from now on.

NOTE: I'm not a fitness expert

One question for fitness experts, how often should ab exercises be done? bodybuilding.com says 3 days a week skippin a day between. Thanks in advance and to Timesforreal for the link.

JBalfour4

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by AFK Protector
Hey these look pretty good. I found a similar routine at bodybuilding.com recommended by some DJs. However, the one you have is clearer since there are photos and whatnot. After the first day, I remember hurting like a little b1tch in my lower abs, which is where I was lacking muscle.

I think its cool and I thank you for linking me to it as I'll use it from now on.

NOTE: I'm not a fitness expert

One question for fitness experts, how often should ab exercises be done? bodybuilding.com says 3 days a week skippin a day between. Thanks in advance and to Timesforreal for the link.
I'm not sure how often you have to do ad workouts, but I do 50 to 70 sit-ups a day with two heavy bricks on my chest almost everyday.

BTW thanks for the link

madgame

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm not sure how often you have to do ad workouts, but I do 50 to 70 sit-ups a day with two heavy bricks on my chest almost everyday.
You could use a heavier object (a weight plate or whateva) and put it on your chest. That way you would only have to do like 20 situps or so and u still get the same results (actually ull get rather better results). Im just telling you because a lot of ppl who only do situps and such exercises are really bothered by ab exercises because they think they have to do 50+ reps, tho the abs arent that different from all the other muscles (Most bodybuilders for example stay in the 4-8 rep range (or maybe 5-10..whateva) for all muscles, except for ab exercises and calf exercises where most of them do like 20-30 reps). Some ppl even say u shouldnt train abs any differently than your other muscles (thus less than 10 reps), but most do use like 20-30 reps (approximately).

Besides u could stop doing situps and doing crunches instead, which train the abs more efficiently. (i had been doing situps for years too and switched to crunches a few of months ago and I think its true when ppl tell u crunches are more effective than situps).

Charisma

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Abs are weird man, I got into heavy training again for an upcoming fight. And I have to do them every day except in the week-ends. I thought this would overtrain or something, but every morning I feel fine. We do 300 of em right now, all the way through, no breaks. And I have to see it's only now that I'm seeing results, which isn't even the goal atm ! I think you should just keep going untill you're almost burned out. For me that's a little over 300 I think.

Oh they are crunches btw. But it is true, I read in many articles you should train the abs like every other muscle. I don't know why we do it every day. But for me it's giving good results. We don't use any weights, too make it harder. And I feel great too !

NRM

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Abs are muscles that are always being used. You use them when you stand and walk and when you jump and play. That is why that it takes a lot more work to train them. If you're doing 300 crunches, consider it like endurance training, just as you would do high reps and lower sets with less weights. I feel that it's better to use weights for crunches and ab workouts just because you gain more mass than you would in less time just because you threw a weight to your chest. It works.

AFK Protector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys, I read that sit-ups can result in lower back pain and problems in the future. Just a warning. . .

Anyways, when I do crunches, my neck kinda strains after a while. I tried not doing them with my hands behind my head and just behind my ears, but still, I felt like I was straining my neck. Is this normal or am I doing them wrong?

I may be lacking neck muscles or something lol.

chim_chim

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Your diet and cardio is a lot more important than any exercises you can do when trying to get a 6-pack.

Lose Bodyfat ====> See Abs

Charisma

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
With crunches you can't harm your back, only with situps, so don't do them :)

If you feel a stretchy feeling in your neck, just do 2-3 crunches with your hands supporting your head, the stretchy feeling will fade away instantly and you'll be set go go for another couple of 10s :) And just put your hands on your ears or something, do never pull your head to help yourself, very bad !

Duke Togo

Don Juan
Reaction score
i heard that weighted crunches/ab work would give you more 3d abs and bulging, if you wanted flatter defined abs without the bulk or bulge you should do un weighted crunches, high rep, every 3 days, is this correct?

madgame

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i heard that weighted crunches/ab work would give you more 3d abs and bulging, if you wanted flatter defined abs without the bulk or bulge you should do un weighted crunches, high rep, every 3 days, is this correct?
No its complete bull****. A lot of people say this about other muscles too (high reps --> better defined muscles) though you cant influence the shape of your muscle you can only make it bigger by working it out. If you train with high reps youll work more of the slow twitch fibers of that muscle, if you train with low reps youll work more of its fast twitch fibers. Still there wont be a difference in size/shape. Ppl whol tell u things like that dont really have an idea when it comes to weight lifting and sculpting your body. They probably do weighted crunches and see that their abs are kinda pumped up after that workout which makes them look bigger and well more pumped up of course lol and thus they draw the conclusion, that their muscles will be less defined if they keep on working it out like that, though its bull****...

Reaction score
Originally posted by madgame
No its complete bull****. A lot of people say this about other muscles too (high reps --> better defined muscles) though you cant influence the shape of your muscle you can only make it bigger by working it out. If you train with high reps youll work more of the slow twitch fibers of that muscle, if you train with low reps youll work more of its fast twitch fibers. Still there wont be a difference in size/shape. Ppl whol tell u things like that dont really have an idea when it comes to weight lifting and sculpting your body. They probably do weighted crunches and see that their abs are kinda pumped up after that workout which makes them look bigger and well more pumped up of course lol and thus they draw the conclusion, that their muscles will be less defined if they keep on working it out like that, though its bull****...
So I can just do 3 sets of 20 then?

jive

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
This might be deviating from your question, but since I'm reading all this talk about abs and ab training, I thought I'd throw this in for those who are interested. I downloaded a book called Bullet Proof Abs, and there is some really interesting stuff in there about how ineffective normal situps/crunches are as far as strength training goes and a more effective way to do them. I'm not gonna explain it here, but here's the gist of it:
The Hardest Sit-up
do them at the gym...

PS. If you want to know, I got it using Bittorrent (sort of a p2p program, do a search) at http://hulong.servehttp.com:6970/ (mainly has lots of MMA videos to download, if you are into that). Also, it's about 33 MB so if you have dial-up, it might take a while...