Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

My 4 day a week work-out schedule

Barbillus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Below is my workout schedule that I recently switched to 3 weeks ago. Offer suggestions and if you like follow it yourself, I think it is really effective. I apologize if I don't know the exact name for the excersie.

I go to the gym exactly 4 times a week. Due to my very busy schedule, I do not do a particular workout on a set day, because sometimes I just don't have the time to get to the gym on that particular day.

Workout Day 1 - TRICEPS: On this day I work my triceps for at least a solid hour, sometimes a little more. I first use the tricep machine, and then I use the cables. I do about 4 different types of tricep exercies with the cables. Then I do 4 sets of skull crushers, followed by doing tricpes with a dumbell over the head.

Workout Day 2 - LEGS/Shoulders: It takes me at least an hour to do my legs and shoulders. I use all the leg machines and basically kill my legs. Be sure to do calf raises if you want mass/definition, these are very key.
For shoulders I use the machines and do lots of shoulder pumps/thrusts.

Workout Day 3 - Biceps/Back: I am usually in the gym for about an hour and 15 minutes at least when I work these muscle groups.
I do all the typical bicep excersies with dumbells and the bar. When I work my back, I use all the back machines and do 3 - 4 sets on each.

Workout Day 4 - Chest/Tris: I am in the gym for at least an hour and a half on this day. I primarily work my chest. I do 4 sets on the bench, 4 sets with dumbells on the incline, and 4 sets on the decline bench.
I then work my trcieps at the end of my workout by doing skull crushers or something else.. but usually by this point, my arms and chest have no feeling in them!!!

Key things to remember:
When you build muscle.. you are ripping them apart and allowing them to regrow back again, but BIGGER and/or more DEFINED.
Allowing your muscles to regrow is very key. If you work triceps one day and chest the next day, your triceps muscles will not of fully recoverred from the previous day whilst doing chest. (When you do chest, you are working the triceps as a secondary muscle)
If you are slim like me, drink a protein shake IMMEDIATLEY after your workout.

Let me know what you guys think.

HOw did I develop this workout? 1) by reading this site and 2) By talking to people in my gym. I talk to everyone and I learn how to do excerices and also get a LOT of social proof by doing this.

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
my critique of your workout:

1. way too much machine work.

2. way, way, way too much triceps work. re-read your post and follow your advice about letting the muscles rest. Besides you don't even do 2 of the 3 bread and butter exercises for tris.. close-grip bench and dips. If you look below you'll see I suggest to give arms it's own day.. you only need to do about 6-9 sets for tris.. if the intensity is there.. trust me, you won't need anymore.. read my GUIDE TO BULKING for more info on reps and weight selection.

3. why aren't you squatting or doing stiff leg deads for the hams? Unless you have the lower back of an 80 year old, there is no excuse to not squat. Squats, not calf raises are the key to mass, and diet is the key to definition. Calf size is largely genetic, by the way. The leg press w/o the squat is for wimps.

4. Your back workout sucks. Machines will not give you width or thickness. Back machines should only complement a back workout not form the core of it. You'll never get a huge, thick back doing pulldowns and seated rows exclusively.

If you're not doing pull-ups (palms out), barbell (and/or) T-bar rows, and/or deadlifts you aren 't really working back. period.

About chest: fukk declines.. do weighted dips instead.

My suggestion:

Day 1 : Legs/ Hamstrings/ Calves

Day 2: Chest / Delts

Day 3: Back / Traps

Day 4: Triceps / Biceps/ 4arms

good luck,
D

TurfDawg

Don Juan
Reaction score
I work out 4 days a week as well. Here's my break down.

Monday: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps
Wednsday: Back, Biceps
Thursday: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps
Saturday: Back, Biceps

Monday Routine:

Bench Press:
145 X 10 reps
155 X 8 reps
165 X 6 reps
175 X 4 reps
185 X 2 reps
185 X 2 reps
175 X 4 reps
165 X 6 reps
155 X 8 reps
145 X 10 reps

Dumbell Press:
55 pound Dumbells 3 sets of 8-10 reps

Military Press, Barbell:
105 X 8-10 reps, 3 sets

Close Grip Bench Press:
95 X 8-10 reps, 3 sets

Wedsnday Routine:
Pull-up bar: 3 sets max reps, Palms facing my face

Barbell shrugs for traps: 185 X 8-10 reps, 3 sets

T-Bar Row: 45 pound Plate and 10 pound plate, 3 sets X 8-10 reps

Lat Pull Down: 120 pounds, 3 sets X 8-10 reps

Barbell Curls (My arms are usually pretty burned out by now): 60 pounds, 3 sets 6-10 reps

Thursday Routine same as Monday
Saturday Routine same as Wedsnday

I weigh 145 pounds and want to be able to bench 100 pounds over my weight. I been using this routine for like 2 years off and on and I love it, I haven't got bored of it. I need to start training my legs but I always put that off. Being in the military we are required to run 3 times a week in formation so I get cardio regardless. When I first started doing this routine my gains were rapid and than after a while my gains would come gradually. For the routine to really work well you should eat about 4 times a day. So far I've only been eating 3 times a day but that should change as I get more organized with my time. I would like to hear any criticisms about this routine.

[This message has been edited by TurfDawg (edited 11-20-2002).]

EMB82

Don Juan
Reaction score
Turfdog - why no lower body work? Are you content with chicken legs and no lower back power? Girls do appreciate strong legs.

Are you training for size or strength?

Also, you should be able to go a lot heavier on the shrugs. It's a short-range motion... strap up and put on more weight.

I think your bench isn't going to improve much by pyramiding up and down twice a week on 3 meals a day.

Something that will help your pressing power would be to press 3x a week. On the first workout, only do CGBP. For the second, do military presses, and on the third workout, do inclines. Use the same grip and use 5x5 (using the same weight for all sets) for your set/rep scheme.

TurfDawg

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by EMB82:
Turfdog - why no lower body work? Are you content with chicken legs and no lower back power? Girls do appreciate strong legs.

I'm going to start lower body workouts, I didn't do them at first because I had no interest in doing lower body workout.

Are you training for size or strength?

I'm training for strength and size. I thought size would come along with strength.

Also, you should be able to go a lot heavier on the shrugs. It's a short-range motion... strap up and put on more weight.

The problem with the shrugs is I keep losing my grip, I'm going see if the gym I work out at has straps available.

I think your bench isn't going to improve much by pyramiding up and down twice a week on 3 meals a day.

When I first started this routine I got big real fast but I was eating about 4-5 meals a day at a time. I was like 125 when I started this routine a few years back and over time I eventually reached 165 and benching 230. When I got to boot camp I lost alot of mass and got real weak and as of now I am starting to rebuild some of that lost strength. This program is similar to what football players train to in the off season to build strength. Once your able to do every set on the bench on your own than that's when you move up in weight. It usually takes me like a month or longer to this. But once I start putting on more body weight it will be easier.

EMB82

Don Juan
Reaction score
Size and strength are different things... that's why powerlifting/olympic lifting routines are different from what bodybuilders do.

Straps are cheap. You can get a pair for $5. Of course, it's always a good idea to do some grip training so that you aren't using straps as a crutch for weak hands.

You should give some serious work on incline pressing. They help out your overhead and bench pressing. Plus, they'll balance out your chest development. Too much flat benching can lead to man-tits (as well as being hard on the rotary cuffs)

Loverman

Don Juan
Reaction score
If you really want to see some results: LESS IS MORE!

Go once, MAYBE twice a week MAX. And on that single day, lift the heaviest sh*t you can. Then rest for a good couple days. I worked out on Sunday for 2 hours and its Tuesday night, my muscles are still sore as hell, which means I won't be seeing the gym until next Sunday.

You get more by going to the gym less and making more progress on your body, believe you me.

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Loverman:
If you really want to see some results: LESS IS MORE!

Go once, MAYBE twice a week MAX. And on that single day, lift the heaviest sh*t you can. Then rest for a good couple days. I worked out on Sunday for 2 hours and its Tuesday night, my muscles are still sore as hell, which means I won't be seeing the gym until next Sunday.

You get more by going to the gym less and making more progress on your body, believe you me.
Generally, I agree but I think that once a week is too little.

What you are advocating is Mentzer's "Heavy Duty" system or a once a week "High Intensity Training" routine.

It's good as a plateau buster, mostly because you are hella overtrained coming in. But it's a flawed training philosophy for long term gains especially if you're natural. It's counter productive to follow that kind of training for over 2 months or so.. your gains will eventually grind to a halt -

Please remember that the main proponents of that style of training, the Mentzer brothers and Dorian Yates (towards the end of his career) used monster amounts of roids...

Barbillus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the critique guys (and Diesel).

I will be altering my workout to what Diesel suggested.

Thanks again!

Ricardo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Diesel the HIT, Mentzer method is still working for me after 4 months. (For the record I'm not using the exact methods he is, but I am basically keeping it to one working set per body part)

I am still gaining in strength. The other major bonus is my time in the gym is alot less than it was before.

I think it is worth a try for anybody. I will make a shift when I dont make anymore gains in it.

Prior to that I have worked out since 1994 on a variety of more high volume methods.

I think I have unusual recovery needs (I don't fear to say that I might be genetically weaker than others starting out, but this method plus my earlier training have made me one of the strongest guys in there at my body weight)

I do agree that you have to mix it up when your body grows accustomed to a training method.

One thing that is key is the frequency of training. Too infrequent per body part is bad. But this depends on your individual recovery which also depends on the weights you are using. (I think Mentzer has mentioned some really long intervals between training) I am currently doing a leg workout once every 6-9 days. (Generally try to keep it once a week if possible). For my upper body I am now going for every 4-6 days because I have some specific poundage goals that I hope to obtain sooner.

For me I will work this until I plateau.

In my mind the key for everyone is to monitor your lifts. Keep a log. If you aren't increasing the number of reps and/or weight you can do, then you are either training wrong, not eating right or not getting enough sleep. You will need to make changes to your program then.

dj blass

Don Juan
Reaction score
What many new guys have to understand that MORE IS NOT BETTER when it comes to lifting. Just because you spend 4 hours at the gym it does not mean you will grow. You have to remember that you dont grow in the gym, you grow in the your kitchen. Diet is key here, not spending 4 hours at the gym. I lift only 3 times a week. here my routine:

Day1: Legs/calves
Day2: Shoulders/Tris/Bis + Forearms
Day3: Chest/Back + Abs

Thats it, i dont spend more then 1 hour and 15 minutes at the gym each day. It may seem like im doing alot, but i only do about 4 sets for my bis and 4 for my tris. And ive grown alot more then how i used to train!

Also dont copy routines from FLEX or any other muscle mags. They are pro bodybuilders/powerlifters they have been training for years and eat a load of food. Not to mention many guys on those mags are on many different supplements, Steriods and other pro-hormones.