Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

My 17 year old son is wearing a pink shirt...

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: My 17 year old son is wearing a pink shirt...

Originally posted by CLOONEY
And is he being a 14 year old boy playing with his friends? IMHO, a 14 year old boy should not be working this many hours!
My 14 year old has Oppositional Defiant Disorder. The second he gets bored he is the most miserable, rotten and difficult kid on the planet. He needs to stay busy and he loves working. He would work more hours if they'd let him. I didn't make him get a job...it was HIS choice. He's the one in charge of setting up his schedule and hours.

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well if your son needs work to stay sane, I've got some good jobs for him. The pay is $2 a day, plus $1 bonus if he works extra hard.

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My 17 year old son is wearing a pink shirt...

Originally posted by Wyldfire
My 14 year old has Oppositional Defiant Disorder. The second he gets bored he is the most miserable, rotten and difficult kid on the planet. He needs to stay busy and he loves working. He would work more hours if they'd let him. I didn't make him get a job...it was HIS choice. He's the one in charge of setting up his schedule and hours.
Is that an actual disorder? Think I may have it! I have to be busy 24/7!! Although, I was told I just have manic!

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My 17 year old son is wearing a pink shirt...

Is that an actual disorder? Think I may have it! I have to be busy 24/7!! Although, I was told I just have manic!
There is a conduct disorder called Oppositional Defiant Disorder...he's extremely argumentative, difficult, intentionally pi$$e$ people off and defiant beyond anything imaginable.

Most kids that have it also have another disorder or condition like ADHD or depression. My kid is one of the rare ones who doesn't have anything else. There's no medication or anything to help it, either. It takes a great deal of effort to deal with him at times. I have friends who have a son with the same thing. There are two of them and they have a horrible time dealing with their son. I'm doing pretty well all things considered. But then I'm trained in writing and implementing behavior plans...so I'm lucky there.

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My 17 year old son is wearing a pink shirt...

Originally posted by Wyldfire
There is a conduct disorder called Oppositional Defiant Disorder...he's extremely argumentative, difficult, intentionally pi$$e$ people off and defiant beyond anything imaginable.

Most kids that have it also have another disorder or condition like ADHD or depression. My kid is one of the rare ones who doesn't have anything else. There's no medication or anything to help it, either. It takes a great deal of effort to deal with him at times. I have friends who have a son with the same thing. There are two of them and they have a horrible time dealing with their son. I'm doing pretty well all things considered. But then I'm trained in writing and implementing behavior plans...so I'm lucky there.
Yeah, lucky for you. This sounds more like something he will grow out of though, no?

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My 17 year old son is wearing a pink shirt...

Yeah, lucky for you. This sounds more like something he will grow out of though, no?
No, not really. Some kids who have this will get worse and end up with full fledged Conduct Disorder (these are the kids that kill and torture animals). Luckily if my son were going to get that he would have already gotten it. Fortunately, my son is incredibly intelligent and he has the ability to control himself when he really wants to. I didn't tell him what his diagnosis was until a few months ago (he was diagnosed when he was 10 years old). I had hoped that by not attaching a "label" to him that he would have an easier time in school. I put him in a private residential school nearby for two years. The school knew about his disorder and he really thrived there. We tried to put him in public school in the 7th grade and I talked to the staff and made it very clear about how they had to deal with him in order to keep him doing well. Of course they thought they knew better than I did about how to deal with him, even though they had only just met him. To make a long story short...they really screwed up. They knew about the disorder as it was in his records. Idiots didn't listen to a word I said and he made them miserable. You can't get into a battle of wills with kids who have this disorder because the disorder feeds off conflict like that. He's starting high school this year and I've already met with everyone there and clued them in to how to deal with him. This time I sat him down and told him about the ODD. He wasn't very happy about hearing it as I knew he wouldn't be...but he's trying very hard to overcome it and at least keep it under control. He's old enough now to do research and understand why he is the way he is and do something to try to limit it's impact on his life. He'll be fine, I think. I'm pretty lucky in that his ODD is very mild compared to most kids who have it. His disorder shows itself almost exclusively through his mouth rather than his actions. He's not violent...just rude, mouthy, insulting, disrespectful to authority figures and will argue even if he agrees with you. He's not setting fires, fighting, stealing, lying or getting into trouble for anything other than his mouth. All in all I've fared quite well...especially as a single parent.

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My 17 year old son is wearing a pink shirt...

Originally posted by ( . )( . )
I probably could have been diagnosed with the same "disorder" when I was younger like every other 2nd Western child is nowadays. Turns out I just needed a good ass kicking and a strong male role model to bring me into line.

Just a thought.
All kids are defiant here and there. Kids with ODD go above and beyond what anyone would consider normal or even excessive. There is a diagnostic criteria that a kid has to meet in order to be diagnosed with this disorder. Fairly consistently my son's disorder has made even those who love him not be able to tolerate being anywhere near him. "Getting his ass kicked" would only further intensify his overblown sense of unfairness. That's part of this disorder, too. If these kids deem a punishmnet unfair they get 100 times worse than they usually are...and no amount of punishment makes them alter their behavior. It just makes them even more defiant.

Even though I'm a woman, my sons have gotten more male-friendly guidance from me than most boys with fathers living at home ever get. My boys were taught from an early age how to stand up to and resist the negative messages feminism has instilled upon society. They have a damn good head start. Believe me...he doesn't need those things to "straighten out"...he needs good solid behavior management/modification and very clear limits and consequences set for him...as well as him having the desire to control himself.