Music? What's the big deal?

Vercetti

Don Juan
Reaction score
They call me wierd in a good way where i'm from cuz i don't act stupid and i listen to a lot of electronic music. And if you don't know what that is then look it up on http://www.mp3s.com

Why is music such a large portion of teenage social group and tribal activities?

Smooth as Anything

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Vercetti
Why is music such a large portion of teenage social group and tribal activities?
I don't think you really want me getting into this. Expect a post on it once I feel I've gathered enough knowledge and background to provide you with what I feel to be a solid article.

In the meantime, ask yourself, what else is there?

I am also going to make the assumption you live in the suburbs.

DarkfalconIV

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
OMG ur stupid. Look what you've started. Music is such a big part of social life becasue music is like a window.

I like rap. Not because its popular or feels good but because when I listen to it it touches my soul and I can relate to the stuff. Alot of kids find this in music too and thats why music is so importatn. Its a way of expressing our feeling and sounds through and audio fourm. Like art is a visual fourm.

Now theres music and pop music. Pop musci is no different than regualr music except for the fact that pop music has popular amrica supporting it wether its good music or not.So if you like "pop" music then your popular. THas the way I see it. I don't find music to be that important. Nobodys gonna shun you cause you don't like thier music. It just shows that you have different views and don't relate that well with each other.

Music is expression. Different feeling lead to different types of music. Therefor different personallities listen to different Music. Music turns into a personality sorter used by the popular.

Also music is very controversial because its a reflection of your feelings. SO dissing someones music is like dissing that person.

mesarectoverb

Don Juan
Reaction score
I listen to prog-rock and metal. Nobody gives a sh*t what I listen to but me, and I'm happy it's that way.

VampireKiller

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey man I listen to a crapload of electronic music. Music may be a pretty big part of teen society, but listening to electronic makes you unique. At one point in middle school I was listening to all the popular rock stuff on the radio, and at the time I loved it. I moved , and their was not a good rock station arround here. there is an independand public radio station that has an electronic show and that got me into it. I listen to drum and bass downtempo, and ambient most. well not that anyone else cares much about my musical preference anyway.

Point is, electronic music 0wns, and I wouldn't listen to anything I didn't like. Plus if you throw a party you can have some kickin' danceing music to play.

Vercetti

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by VampireKiller
Hey man I listen to a crapload of electronic music. Music may be a pretty big part of teen society, but listening to electronic makes you unique. At one point in middle school I was listening to all the popular rock stuff on the radio, and at the time I loved it. I moved , and their was not a good rock station arround here. there is an independand public radio station that has an electronic show and that got me into it. I listen to drum and bass downtempo, and ambient most. well not that anyone else cares much about my musical preference anyway.

Point is, electronic music 0wns, and I wouldn't listen to anything I didn't like. Plus if you throw a party you can have some kickin' danceing music to play.
You are wise. Infected Mushroom, hallucinogen, Simon Posford, and Violet Vision are just a few of my favs.

Mikelo2k

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
People consider me weird because of the music i listen to.

I like Techno\Trance\Dance... stuff like Ace of Base (old) and Infected Mushroom, somtimes Pop, and Rap too. And I find, that the type of music you listen to is a big deciding factor of who will become a good friend of yours, and what people think of you.

So most people (from my experiences) will judge you or at least think of you differently because of the music you listen to. ;/

MoAF

Don Juan
Reaction score
Music is beautiful... through sound we can express and relate powerful [and often deep] feelings and emotions easily. THATS the big deal. I listen to every concievable genere of music, and I truely believe it makes me a more worldly, cultured, and expressive/animated person.

Falcon - Rap/R+B is the most recognized music genere in america... pop was about a yr and a half ago then it transitioned. I don't know where you live, but all our radio stations [top 40's and popular listening stations] play about 40%rap 25% pop 15% dance and 20% other.

Rap touches your soul? Which songs? I LOVE:

DMX & Faith Evans - Baby It'll be ok and DMX - My Niggas

Just to name 2 ;).

Vampir/Cetti/Mike - I'm gonna DL those artists ya'all named ;). Dancing to teckno/trance/dance music RULES. If you have a file sharing program then DL:

ERIC RAVE DANCE

Its like 59k kilobites, its the most unbelievable dancing I've ever seen!

DarkfalconIV

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
That post was great.

When i mentioned 'pop' i didn't mean the gerne. I ment popular music.

A pop hit can be any gerne. A pop hit is a gerne almost all of society likes. At least popular society. Than thiers true music which touches your inner self. This can be pop music too. JUst i was distinguishing people who listen to a certian song ar artist to be deemed cool or popular from people who listen to music that touches them at the time.

As to radio I have no clue. Don't listen to it. It's to random of songs. Rather put in a good ol' CD. Or make up my own beat and lyrics in my head.

Smooth as Anything

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
^
I think he means 'genre'.

Vercetti

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by dElAvA
tribal activities?

What kind of high school are you going to?
Incorrect word use. I meant they band together in tight social cliques.

BWSL2

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Definately. You should see my school's drill team. I think they're ranked best in the nation or something similar, but it's weird to see them get in a giant circle and dance around all their trophies, chanting. I'll bet their thisclose to putting on war makeup.

Anyway, to answer the question, music is so important because A) everyone listens to something, and of course most people feel the need to compare/feel superior to everyone else, and b) if you live in the 'burbs, there's not much else to do. You're probably considered wierd because A) techno/electronic/whatever has the rave reputation, and it's got the whole trippy vibe to it (Not my thing, but nothing against it) and b) everybody else listens to what is on the radio. You don't follow suit, so of course something must be wrong with you.

Keep on listening to whatever you like, and you'll be fine. Music is only a big deal to people who make it a big part of their life, like musicians, or people with nothing else going on.

localboy_fmx

Don Juan
Reaction score
I think everything before the Black Album was great, and their latest single "St. Anger" is pathetic.

Smooth as Anything

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Anything Else :rolleyes: