muscles

search1ng

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm currently doing a x5 split where i'll hit each major muscle x1 a week.
monday - chest
tuesday - back
wednesday -
thrusday - legs
friday - shoulders
saturday - abs/arms

Anyway, so far i've been doing 4-5 exercises for 3/4 sets x 10-15 reps
is this a good set/rep range? Also should i increase the amount of exercises i do for each muscle group?

i'm 5'8, 75kg bf 12% if that helps.
been lifting for a year and a half or so now so i'm not huge or anything, just still looking for what will work best for me.

i don't know my max numbers but the numbers i do for reps on major movements would be

bench 75kg
squat 80kg
deadlift 100kg

thanks for any answers, clues or feedback.

simon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
At 165lbs you shouldn't be doing a 5-day split if you're looking to put on muscle.

Check out this routine and work with the goal of getting your lift numbers up to 500/400/300lbs and eating properly, and the muscles will come.

Smack

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
simon said:
At 165lbs you shouldn't be doing a 5-day split if you're looking to put on muscle.

Check out this routine and work with the goal of getting your lift numbers up to 500/400/300lbs and eating properly, and the muscles will come.
The perfect routine for him right there. Seriously, Iron Addicts is to weight training like this site is to women and relationships. The information there is pure gold.

LostAndConfused

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
simon said:

Hm, that routine looks questionable.

The volume seems extremely low. 2-3 sets of 5 for squats? 3 sets of 3-5 on bench press? Big compound lifts like those need higher volume.

The guy said it himself, the squats and deadlifts are the most important part of the routine.

Theres no doubt you'll make gains from the routine, but I suggest 5x5 Starting Strength over that...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

No matter WHAT routine you choose, MAKE SURE when you start off you work the form. The weights will come afterwards. Dumbell curling 25 lbs is better than curling 50 lbs and "swinging" the weights up. You'll build bigger muscles from the former and not injure yourself at the same time.

search1ng

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
yeah, I'm a big advocate of correct form over massive weights, so i like to know my form is as good as i can get it before i move on any further.

I've checked out most of the programs in the vault here at sosuave, I'll have a look at the program you guys gave me. Optimally i want a program that'll hit the muscles hard enough and make me feel like i did some exercise. It's probably psychological but i don't feel like i've done anything unless I've worked up a sweat.

At what weight should i be doing a split then? When i'm lifting much heavier weights?

thanks for any help and input guys! flamers please be constructive.

simon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
LostAndConfused said:
I'm glad you've got so much experience at the age of 19 that you're able to criticise what is an excellent routine set out by a very knowledgeable trainer.

LostAndConfused said:
The volume seems extremely low. 2-3 sets of 5 for squats? 3 sets of 3-5 on bench press? Big compound lifts like those need higher volume.
Why do they need higher volume?

LostAndConfused said:
The guy said it himself, the squats and deadlifts are the most important part of the routine.
So that must mean more volume is better?

LostAndConfused said:
Theres no doubt you'll make gains from the routine, but I suggest 5x5 Starting Strength over that...
That is a good routine for an absolute beginner but sooner or later you're not going to be able to progress squatting 3 times a week without waving the volume and intensity. The SIMPLE power based routine has allowed me to increase my strength every week for more than 7 months now.

simon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
search1ng said:
Optimally i want a program that'll hit the muscles hard enough and make me feel like i did some exercise. It's probably psychological but i don't feel like i've done anything unless I've worked up a sweat.
It's definitely psychological and you're going to need to get over it. If you're not tired or sweating after any of the days of the SIMPLE power based routine, you're not lifting heavy enough.

search1ng said:
At what weight should i be doing a split then? When i'm lifting much heavier weights?
Like I said before, work towards getting your squat to 500lbs, your deadlift to 400lbs and your bench to 300lbs. A high volume routine is pretty pointless until you've already got a good strength base.

I'd recommend the SIMPLE power based routine or Option B in EFFORT's 'Where to start' thread.

search1ng

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Also, i've had this nagging question at the back of my mind, how come some people have these really well built up bodies, very toned, has great muscle mass (brad pitt -troy, christian bale, ryan reynolds look, 300), and they dont lift very heavy? sometimes the weights they lift is lower then mine. Genetics?

If genetics are the case, then what happens if your genetics aren't that good at inducing muscle growth and or strength? Or has this got nothing to do with genetics.

simon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
search1ng said:
Also, i've had this nagging question at the back of my mind, how come some people have these really well built up bodies, very toned, has great muscle mass (brad pitt -troy, christian bale, ryan reynolds look, 300), and they dont lift very heavy? sometimes the weights they lift is lower then mine. Genetics?

If genetics are the case, then what happens if your genetics aren't that good at inducing muscle growth and or strength? Or has this got nothing to do with genetics.
None of them have great muscle mass, they just have a moderate amount of muscle, low bodyfat, pump sessions and good lighting which makes them look bigger than they actually are. They probably get that look by using a high volume routine to induce some sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, which they then lose when filming is finished and they stop going to the gym, since it isn't permanent. Heavy weights lead to a different form of hypertrophy which is more permanent.

You won't know how good your genetics are for strength or size until you get on a well-structured routine and diet. At your stage, if you aren't growing you're either not progressing in the amount of weight lifted or you're not eating enough or getting enough rest.

Smack

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
LostAndConfused said:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

No matter WHAT routine you choose, MAKE SURE when you start off you work the form. The weights will come afterwards. Dumbell curling 25 lbs is better than curling 50 lbs and "swinging" the weights up. You'll build bigger muscles from the former and not injure yourself at the same time.
Many people are simply not able to squat three times a week and make gains, or even not destroy their CNS. Despite it being the default recommended routine over at bb.com, it is not necessarily the most effective for all beginners, and 5x5 isn't even a beginner's programme!

search1ng

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Espi said:
Well, first off, I think that guys like Brad Pitt and Ryan Reynolds have never appeared "built up," nor have any of those those men ever featured "great muscle mass." Now, I do think that they possess (or have possessed) aesthetically pleasing physiques...but they've never had big and massive physiques, which could be one reason that they don't lift heavy.

Another thing is I wouldn't focus at all on how effective your body is at inducing muscle growth and strength. Focus instead on maximizing your genetics...regardless the sort of body or strength level that mother nature's given you, you're going to look really good and feel strong if you dedicate yourself to a sound fitness regimen.
Lift heavy, eat well, rest well and you'll get an aesthetically pleasing look? Honestly was never one for the bb look, and yes, i know, it takes years of dedication to get there, it's just not the direction i want to take my years of dedication. Anyway I'm going to start that simple power based routine by iron addict and see how it goes. I'll also be starting a progress journal for my weights and how i eat. Hopefully I'll get good results with it and be able to show a picture transformation from where i am, to even greater heights!

edit: btw, i kind of have bow legs. i heard deadlifts/squats can make the condition worse?

Last edited: