Muscle groups and which exercises go with which

Darth

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi,

I don't know much about the terminology/names of muscle groups, etc. but I was wondering if someone could lay out in simple terms which exercise improves what body part.

For instance I want to get bigger in the area of the arm from the shoulder to the elbow. Would that be closed hand pullups, hands far apart pullups, closed hand chinups, hands far apart chinups, etc.

Thanks!

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I always espouse doing large compound movements. This is because not only are these moves harder, but they use multiple muscle groups. For example, the deadlift is primarily a leg/hip/ass/lower back exercise, but when you have a few hundred pounds hanging off your shoulder girdle, your upper back will take a beating as well.

In my opinion your routine should be build around a core of these movements:

1. Squats: Works legs, ass, posterior chain, as well as core.
2. Deads: see above.
3. Chin ups: Depending on the grip there will be preferential recruitment of different muscles. Look it up if you want the details.
4. Dips: Recruitment will depend on orientation and hand width placement, and how you position your body.
5. Shoulder press: delts and back primarily.
6. Bench: Pectorals, triceps mostly... again depends a lot on hand placement and position.

The information you're requesting is easily available online. Why not do the search yourself and learn.

Darth

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks, that's a good resource.

So, doing pull-ups, chin-ups and push-ups won't quite cut it, I guess....

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Darth said:
Thanks, that's a good resource.

So, doing pull-ups, chin-ups and push-ups won't quite cut it, I guess....
Put in the right routine they will. Many folks modify them: weighted pull ups, push ups with 1-2 unstable points for example. It all depends on your goals.