Multiple Short workouts over few long ones?

green69

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
My main problem with the gym is that once I get there, after about 20-30 minutes I get bored and lose motivation. However, I have a car now and the gym is real close so I figured why not go 4-5 times a week with very short workouts? I can do about 3 exercises per workout, and that gives me a total of about 11-12 exercises total.

I'd much rather 4 workouts of about 20-30 minutes each, rather than 3 workouts spanning 30-45 minutes. Will I still have the same benefit?

Crissco

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
To my knowledge and experience as long as you keep the intensity high enough your good to go. I actually make my best gains on short intense workouts.

Flyer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I actually only do 3-4 exercise per session. Going to gym 3 times a week. Each session lasting about 1.5hours including stretching time.

Works fine for me - i.e. still making progress.

WC2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
IMO a lot of guys spend wayyyy too long in the gym when it comes to weight training. I see guys in there lifting for 2 hours.

There's no way your body NEEDS/CAN TAKE 2 hours of heavy lifting unless you're a professional.

45 minutes of high intensity (I'm talking 3 - 5 exercises, 3 sets each) lifting is enough to build mass.

Staying for any more amount of time can also be counter-productive, as your muscles need nutrients after you've worked them hard enough. This is why protein is recommended immediately after workout.