Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Moving in together???

bignick79

Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok Don Juans,

My gf and I broke up over this topic. She lived with her mom (at 38) yes, that's right!! She constantly would have battles with her mom and wanted to move, so i suggested lets move in together (we had been bf/gf over 3 years). She said she didn't want it feel forced or that i was doing it to feel like i was "saving" her from her mom. By the way, she was unemployed at the time. I suggested that she just pay me what you paid her mom, I assumed it was like $400-$500(actually she gave her mom $700). I told her, i don't want that much, $400 or $500 is fine to help me with the bills and other expenses. My monthly expenses exceed $2,500/month (just for reference). She didn't like that idea one bit!! She didn't like the idea that i would dare ask her to pay rent! I didn't call it rent, to me, its contributing to our household, bills, household upgrades, etc. So that went nowhere, come to find out, she was insulted and hurt that i didn't trust her to contribute. How un-romantic it was of me to ask my gf for rent! I was turning us moving in together into a business transaction!

So before we could discuss this any further, she posted on Yelp, much like i am here, LOL, asking if i should charge her rent or not. Here is the post.

"My boyfriend of three years who makes over 100K per year,( his last bonus was 13K )and he owns his home, recently offered to let me move in. I am a recently unemployed sales rep, who on average when working makes high 40-mid 50K. My Boyfriend counter offers the move in with "you can pay the same that your paying now to your current roommate, I wouldn't ask you for anymore than that". I calmly said I would think it over, but feel just sick to my stomach. I feel any romance to the situation was out the window, we have spoke of children and getting married someday. Will he turn to me while I am in labor and say " Oh yeah, rents due!". I am not a girlfriend who just takes, for two whole years we went dutch and I still offer to pay and buy things with out being asked. Please also keep in mind I am recently unemployed, where is the helping hand here? OK YELPERS, LET ME HAVE IT...AM I WRONG TO FEEL THIS WAY?"

I would like to clarify that we DID NOT go dutch...she offers to pay on occasion and i appreciate that, but 90% of time, I PAY! Thats not going "dutch" as she puts it, but that ok with me, i don't expect her to pay half all the time! Also, she wants a helping hand...but,she neglects to mention the car that I helped her buy ($$$ for the downpayment) because she lost her job and her
company car not 2 month earlier. I think the term ungrateful fits really well here. She actually thinks i would charge her if she was pregnant!! Too much!!

We had a discussion after this and i told her another idea i had. I said how about you give me $400/month, of which, $100 will go to the bills (gas, electric) since you can count on those going up once she moves in, the rest we put in a joint savings account for the household. I told her, this is your equity in my house (since i wouldn't dare put her on my deed, i didn't tell her that, but you get the idea) i figured this would make her feel like she had a stake in our household. She respond with..."you don't trust me to contribute?" "You trust me to save my own money?" She totally missed the point. At this point, it was clear to me, she wanted to move in and she would contribute whatever she believed was fair. She pretty much ended the conversation there and said we would talk about it again after she got a job. Which she did about 3 weeks later.

Needless to say, the tension of this ruined our sex life and we ended our relationship last week after she told me she was going to go look at an apartment (that would probably cost her $900/month or more for a 1 bedroom)...she said i can't believe you'd just let me move away, where is this relationship going to go?? The light went on in my head at that moment, so we just ended it.

Maybe my approach to the situation wasn't exactly romantic, but my thought was that we should get the hard part of the conversation out of the way first. She said to me she wanted a fairy tale, prince charming to come and swoop her away. Am i wrong here? I feel like i did the right thing here guys, whats your take??

Big Nick

She makes you weak in the knees.

But she won't give you the time of day.

Here is how to get her.

MrNiceGuy23

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't think there's anything wrong with asking her to contribute. If you're in a serious relationship, and you do get married, you're both going to be paying the bills and upkeep on the house, so I don't see it being any different if she moved in with you. You're not her "landlord" but since she would now be living in your room, it's expected that she would contribute to the financial aspects of the home because the home is "hers" now.

Lol at her yelp post, I like how she says she pays her "roommate" because she is too embarrassed to say mother.

Good idea breaking up with her, she sounds like a leech.

fuzzball

Don Juan
Reaction score
epic amounts of female logic here lol.

i do have to ask how she expects to have a family at the young age of 38!!! i know its possible to have kids at that age but that isnt exactly im going to have a family age either. you might pop one out at that point but being a mother at that point is also a bit more difficult too. she seems delusional. granted i am not knocking birth at that age as my mother had me at 41 or 42(which is why i know giving birth and raising a kid at that age is tiring) but i was the fifth and final child and it was clear in the marriage she was going to be a housewife and take care of the kids and the house. since that isnt going to be happening here what is she expecting to do stay at home and watch oprah like peggy bundy from married with children???

with that said since its clear she isnt going to be a stay at home mom your argument is completely valid. and she seems to be living in a fantasy.

also yes LOL at her roommate instead of mother.

sounds like she wants to move in with you and keep her 50k a year and have you pay all the bills which is again something peggy bundy tried.

bignick79

Don Juan
Reaction score
I was hoping to start a family and a life together. A shared household, working together. That's what I was hoping for.

Jules_Winfield

Don Juan
Reaction score
bignick79 said:
I was hoping to start a family and a life together. A shared household, working together. That's what I was hoping for.
You wanted to eventually start a family, but after 3 years you were still testing her. With her being unemployed, the history you two have and the money you make, you should have never ask her for a dime once asking her to move in. You should have moved her in and helped her get her career back on track. Your intentions toward her were not pure and she knew it.

fuzzball

Don Juan
Reaction score
Jules_Winfield said:
You wanted to eventually start a family, but after 3 years you were still testing her. With her being unemployed, the history you two have and the money you make, you should have never ask her for a dime once asking her to move in. You should have moved her in and helped her get her career back on track. Your intentions toward her were not pure and she knew it.
not really. you are wrong. there was no test....you move in you pay for some bills plain and simple.

that said this girl was clearly acting weird. if shes not going to stay at home and raise kids then her income better darn well contribute to paying for the bills. if she wanted to work then she better contribute to paying for the bills plain and simple. and the only reason she shouldnt work is if she has kids with him and since shes 38 at most she is likely to have one child with TC and that might not even happen so raising family seems like wishful thinking at best. im still not sure where this family thing the two of them have is coming from.

it sounds like this girl has peggy bundy syndrome.

Jules_Winfield

Don Juan
Reaction score
fuzzball said:
not really. you are wrong. there was no test....you move in you pay for some bills plain and simple.

that said this girl was clearly acting weird. if shes not going to stay at home and raise kids then her income better darn well contribute to paying for the bills. if she wanted to work then she better contribute to paying for the bills plain and simple. and the only reason she shouldnt work is if she has kids with him and since shes 38 at most she is likely to have one child with TC and that might not even happen so raising family seems like wishful thinking at best. im still not sure where this family thing the two of them have is coming from.

it sounds like this girl has peggy bundy syndrome.
I understand what you're saying, but she wasn't working when he asked her to move in. She found a job 3 weeks later. At that time she should be expected to contribute.

Packers2010

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jules_Winfield said:

lol femistist bullplop.

so he lets her move in with him and she gets a job when...?

like never!

bigneil

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, the roommate should pay a reasonable room and board charge. When I moved in with the Russian girl in NYC I paid $50 a night (and stocked her place with healthy food). That was the deal up front. Sex was negotiable after. I took a big risk because I would have had Blue Balls to write home about if she hadn't submitted. Don't go into it if she already said LJBF. When one person pays rent, the situation is balanced and a normal relationship can transpire in the meantime without one person feeling that the other might be taking advantage.

Jules_Winfield

Don Juan
Reaction score
Packers2010 said:
lol femistist bullplop.

so he lets her move in with him and she gets a job when...?

like never!
If he's unsure of the kind of women dating after three years, the problem his him, not her. What would he have done if her unemployment ended and she still didn't have work?

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
38 is way too old to have her hotness be her rent. If she were half that age and having a lot of sex with you, I doubt you would care about the rent. I know I wouldn't.

bignick79

Don Juan
Reaction score
If her unemployment ran out, now thats a different story. She was very well prepared for being laid off, she had been saving for 8 months, not sure how long her job was going to last. She had a company car that she knew she would have to give back, so with her savings she wanted to by a used car. I told her if she needed help with the down payment, i would help because i knew she would need to get around to find a job. I think that's a pretty big helping hand. Taking on a car payment when you know your unemployed isn't exactly a great idea, so helping her with the car and let her live in my house for free??? By the way, she had an 85 El Camino already, but that car sucks on gas, it runs and she just had it fixed. Her only reason to get the other used car was better gas mileage.

As far as what kind of woman she was, she was never a mooch and i had no doubt that she would contribute, but to leave something like this to just contributing whenever she felt like it. I don't feel like i was asking for a lot by her contributing $400/month to our future. She just didn't want a set number to pay every month and felt like i was being her landlord. BS! A household takes work and sadly, yes, money. It sucks but that's reality. She prided herself on being realistic and not living with her head in the clouds, but this was a fantasy land she was in. If she had her own place and I was unemployed and wanted to move in and i only contributed what i wanted, when i wanted, id be called a deadbeat if i had savings and unemployment....im just saying!

cordoncordon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am just going to assume that this has two sides to the story, as almost every thread on here does.

I think if you had worded it differently to her initially, you both could have gotten what you wanted. You, a little help with the bills and a furthering of the relationship. And her, a sense of security in the relationship and a sense of involvement towards the household.

What probably would have been best would have been to approach her with this.

"Hey hun, I know you are having some troubles with your present living situation, and to be honest this house is pretty lonely living here by myself, so I was thinking that you should move in with me. I think that would take us to the next step in our relationship, which I am really looking forward to, plus it would help you get out of the situation you are in. And since you aren't working ATM, don't worry right now about helping out with the JOINT household expenses until you get back on your feet with a new job, which I know is coming for you soon. Until then I expect BJ's on command (with a big smile on your face) and just do what you can to help out. When you get a new job then we can sit down and talk about the paying of the bills and such. Sound good?"

I think that would have given you both what you wanted.

Now, since I get the impression that deep down you really don't want to lose this girl, even though you are broken up now, I would still use some variation of that quote on her and see how it goes. I think you both are being stubborn and as a result, are going to throw something away that neither one really wants to do.

Good luck.

Jaylan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sorry she wasted your time OP.

Take this as a learning experience. SCREEN YOUR WOMEN. And screen them well in the early going. You should have known she was this type of broad in the beginning. I mean, you paid for everything in the early going, kept paying for most things during the relationship, and even bought her a car. YOU set the precedent.

You can avoid this crap by dating an independent woman and making sure thats the kind of gal you have from the jump. I understand that guys like you can afford to pay for most things, but you gotta stop that. Because you end up with lazy entitled women who expect to be able to hoard their own money and be paid for all the time.

And on top of that, these women start expecting all guys to be like that. She needs a reality check. Im glad you ended it. Find a well to do, generous, and independent woman. Itll be a great new experience

VladPatton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Once she protested your idea of moving in with you for a mere 4-500 bucks a month you should of hit the Nuke button right there. And I am glad you eventually did. You just gave her the ultimate wet, liquid, stinky, financial shıt-test ever, and she failed miserably. She is a child in a 38 yr old body with no desire to grow up and be with a man. Fück that immature bıtch, man; keep your money, your sanity, and chalk it up to life experience.

Eventually she'll start herding cats and live with her mother in cat shıt fumes. When people shoot down a legitimately good idea tat will benefit them they don't know what the fück they want in life. I'll let Dr. Sheldon Cooper have the final say in this:

http://youtu.be/BaM5B0MBAoA?t=45s