Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Movado watches

squirrels

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A universe...where heartbreak and sadness have bee
I've always been of the opinion that a watch is the only piece of jewelry/ornamentation that a mature man has any business wearing. A nice watch can really set off any outfit, from business garb to a nice casual "club" get-up.

I've been thinking for a while about getting a new watch, but I haven't been able to justify spending a lot of money on one...there's always been something better to waste money on. ;)

Lately I've been thinking about re-upping my wardrobe in general, though, and have been looking at getting a new watch, something a little more upscale than the Citizen I've been rocking for the last 10 years.

I've always liked the look of the Movado watches...they're simple and elegant. I've never been able to get into ornate chronographs like Tags and Rolexes...just too damned loud, in my opinion.

I've been looking at the Juro and the Esperanza...something in that price-range. I'm not looking to spend a small fortune, so 1K is about as high as I'd dare go on a watch.

My question is for those of you who may have owned them...how did they hold up? How long does the battery last and did you have any issues getting them serviced? How did they hold up to normal wear? I know most of them have the sapphire scratch-resistant glass, which is good because I have a tendency to bump into things at times. :D

General opinions and, if you didn't like yours, what else I should look at that has similar style and price-range.

azanon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
squirrels said:
General opinions and, if you didn't like yours, what else I should look at that has similar style and price-range.
If I may, I'd like to give 2 opinions.

I'd reconsider your belief that watches are the only jewelry a DJ can wear. I rock a rope leather necklace sometimes that is a nice accent to certain casual dress. I always tuck in the necklace ornament, but the "rope" part of it looks cool around my neck. I also like platinum rings, and I'd probably consider one of those two for occasional wear if i weren't already wearing my wedding ring.

2nd opinion concerns your post: IMO, most of the movado watches I've seen look too damn metro. Unless you're in NY City, Seattle, or some other large, predominately liberal city, and/or don't mind the occasional man hitting on you, I'd consider something a bit more manly looking like a Bulova or maybe even a Tag.

squirrels

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
azanon said:
If I may, I'd like to give 2 opinions.

I'd reconsider your belief that watches are the only jewelry a DJ can wear. I rock a rope leather necklace sometimes that is a nice accent to certain casual dress. I always tuck in the necklace ornament, but the "rope" part of it looks cool around my neck. I also like platinum rings, and I'd probably consider one of those two for occasional wear if i weren't already wearing my wedding ring.
A lot depends on your style, I guess. I'm not really drawn to "ornamental extras". If I had like, a class ring or some kind of meaningful ring of if I was a holy-roller and had a cross necklace or something I wouldn't hesitate to wear it...as it stands, I don't, and I'm not about to wear rings or bracelets or charms for ornamentation on its own. Just not my thing. The watch is functional and gives just enough flash to provide an accent without saying, "I'm accenting".

2nd opinion concerns your post: IMO, most of the movado watches I've seen look too damn metro. Unless you're in NY City, Seattle, or some other large, predominately liberal city, and/or don't mind the occasional man hitting on you, I'd consider something a bit more manly looking like a Bulova or maybe even a Tag.
Kind of in the same vein...when I see elaborate chronographs, they just look tacky to me. Like something someone would wear in high school. Here's a relatively expensive Bulova:

http://www.amazon.com/Bulova-63B019...r_1_8?s=watches&ie=UTF8&qid=1296502257&sr=1-8

What am I going to do with all of those extra "precision" dials, really? It's the "stylish" equivalent of a calculator-watch, for chrissakes. :p

Here's one of the "less-loud" TAGs in that price range:

http://www.amazon.com/TAG-Heuer-WAF...1_39?s=watches&ie=UTF8&qid=1296502770&sr=1-39

I'm not keeping lap-times. I can tell time reasonably well without "40...50...60" around the watch rim and a tiny precision second-hand dial. If I need more "precision" I have a smartphone. Hell, I have two.

The thing I like about Movado is that the design is elegant and modern, yet simple. It says, "I'm not trying to launch a space shuttle by my watch, I'm just wearing a watch".

http://www.amazon.com/Movado-606042...1_35?s=watches&ie=UTF8&qid=1296503468&sr=1-35

No numbers or markings around the sides, no extraneous dials on the face, just, "here are the hands, here's 12, if you're not smart enough to figure it out, go f**k yourself". Just a vague, abstract sense of time.

I can see what you're saying...it's got an "artsy" feel to it, which can seem effeminate. Dunno what to tell you...anything "fashionable" seems effeminate at times. I'm perfectly comfortable anywhere in jeans and a T-shirt. But it's not appropriate for all venues.

Beats being one of those toolbags wearing "Affliction" or "TapOut" T-shirts who have never even been near a cage, or the people who are STILL wearing those gay powder-blue striped fratboy shirts. :woo:

AAAgent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm not too big on fashion and jewelery but I know a little. I usually talk to my younger brother about these things since he's real big into fashion/peacocking but even i know about movado's.

Movado's are the cheapest of the luxury brand of watches. They usually don't come automatic either which is a pain in the ass to change batteries for one watch, if you're not a collector.

If you're not worried about what other people think Movado's look decent with their sleek designs. 3-5 years ago i was all about saving up to get a movado. My younger brother finally got one it was became kinda plain. It's really light, plain and after a while boring. The bigger watches like Omega, Rolex, etc. have some weight on them and are generally automatic. They don't break as easily and make you feel more manly. I'm not judging you or anyone who wears them, just the watch.

Watches are incredible a nice movado for $500 is alright to have for casual days. I think you might be able to get a casual Omega around $1k-1.5k if you shop around real hard. Also check out used watches.

squirrels

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
AAAgent said:
I'm not too big on fashion and jewelery but I know a little. I usually talk to my younger brother about these things since he's real big into fashion/peacocking but even i know about movado's.

Movado's are the cheapest of the luxury brand of watches. They usually don't come automatic either which is a pain in the ass to change batteries for one watch, if you're not a collector.

If you're not worried about what other people think Movado's look decent with their sleek designs. 3-5 years ago i was all about saving up to get a movado. My younger brother finally got one it was became kinda plain. It's really light, plain and after a while boring. The bigger watches like Omega, Rolex, etc. have some weight on them and are generally automatic. They don't break as easily and make you feel more manly. I'm not judging you or anyone who wears them, just the watch.

Watches are incredible a nice movado for $500 is alright to have for casual days. I think you might be able to get a casual Omega around $1k-1.5k if you shop around real hard. Also check out used watches.
Let's be honest...I'm no "balla". I can't afford to drop several thousand on a watch. My price-range is about 800-1K. I might be able to flex a little on that if I found something I REALLY liked. An Omega is probably out of my price range. A Rolex is definitely out of my price range. :eek: Plus, like I said, Rolexes tend to be visually "loud"...that's kind of the point, to shout to the world, "Hey, I can afford a Rolex". I'm not trying to front money...just a little class. ;)

That was one of the major concerns I had about the Movado, that they didn't have an automatic movement. I really don't want to have to be getting battery changes every 2-3 years.

What do you think of TAGs? What other brands should I be looking at, knowing that I don't like too much "flash"? :)

Ease said:
That's nice-looking, but it looks like something an older man would wear. Just my opinion.

azanon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
squirrels said:
The thing I like about Movado is that the design is elegant and modern, yet simple. It says, "I'm not trying to launch a space shuttle by my watch, I'm just wearing a watch".

http://www.amazon.com/Movado-606042...1_35?s=watches&ie=UTF8&qid=1296503468&sr=1-35
Squirrels, I'd bet almost anything we're from different parts of the U.S. I'll just shoot you straight on that Movado; if you wore that here, you'd be assumed gay. No if's, and's, or but's. I have a brother-in-law who wears watches that looks like that (and wears silk), but he's from Houston metro and is quite feminine in demenor (doesnt work out, doesn't play sports, etc). Rich people here wear Rolex most often TBH.

I don't mean that as an attack though. It could be a regional thing, like I said. I'm sure you could pull that off in N.Y. But if you're east of the missisppi, and south of the mason dixon line like i am, don't dare buy that! We buy tough, and dare I say, manly looking watches.

Beats being one of those toolbags wearing "Affliction" or "TapOut" T-shirts who have never even been near a cage:
If you've got the body, who's to know whether you have been or not. Buying Affliction/Tapout is the easy part; Looking good in it requires dedication. But knowing you're perspective on watches, I can fully understand your disdane for anything tough looking like an affliction shirt.

This whole discussion has me thinking DJing style is probably highly regional. Not just with looks, but probably with approaches too.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
no on the movado watch.

look... a watch is lke a good suit. if you don't have a watch, don't go get a cheap watch. you are better off going on the forums like watchuseek.com and getting a used one but get a good one damnit.

I would personally recommend as a starter watch a TAG Heuer Forumla 1 watch. youc an get a used one for about 300-400 in really good condition used online. i have bought a few watches off watchuseek.

http://nardiab.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/burberry-watch.jpg

they make great clothes, they make **** watches.

TAG, Timex, Citizen,Seiko

http://www.google.com/products/cata...log_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CFoQ8wIwAA

that is a freaking great first watch.

it's the fashion snob in me but I don't consider myself well dressed if my watch ticks. that's tacky.

squirrels

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
I would personally recommend as a starter watch a TAG Heuer Forumla 1 watch. youc an get a used one for about 300-400 in really good condition used online. i have bought a few watches off watchuseek.
I didn't know there was such a market for used watches. Do people generally take good care of them? I'm nervous about spending money on something someone else may have beaten up.

TAG, Timex, Citizen,Seiko
I have an old Citizen Eco-Drive watch...had it for like 10 years. I got it new when I was just out of college. I like it a lot...I paid like $400 for it. I was under the impression that it wasn't really "prestigious" enough to wear as jewelry at age 30.

Bear in mind that I'm not a high-roller/businessman like you are, BB...I don't generally wear suits. I'll dress up in a shirt and tie occasionally for business functions/weddings or go out in a button-down shirt and slacks or nice jeans when I head out on a Saturday night. That's where I am. I just want an accent. I like my Citizen, but I didn't know whether it gave the accent I wanted or if people were looking at it and thinking, "hey look, a 30 year old man with a 20 year old's watch".

I honestly have no idea...and that's becoming more obvious as I read this thread. :p

azanon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
squirrels said:
Bear in mind that I'm not a high-roller/businessman like you are, BB...I don't generally wear suits. I'll dress up in a shirt and tie occasionally for business functions/weddings or go out in a button-down shirt and slacks or nice jeans when I head out on a Saturday night. That's where I am. I just want an accent. I like my Citizen, but I didn't know whether it gave the accent I wanted or if people were looking at it and thinking, "hey look, a 30 year old man with a 20 year old's watch".

I honestly have no idea...and that's becoming more obvious as I read this thread. :p
I categorize them in my mine as being more about "how dressy/formal" they are than by age. I actually do like that first one BB linked, but I'd probably only wear it when I have on khakis. A rough rule of thumb is thinner/animal skinned based watches are formal, and metallic bands with larger watch faces are more casual (like the second one BB linked).

So if you're going to be wearing it primarily casually, then something like a sporty TAG would be a nice choice.

squirrels

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
5string said:
Hear ya about chronos. But check out the Omega Speedmaster. My favorite.
You can get them online within your price range. First watch to the moon.

http://www.omegawatches.com/gents/speedmaster
I'm not seeing Omega Speedmasters for any less than 2 grand. Where are you seeing them in my price range?

5string

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
squirrels said:
I'm not seeing Omega Speedmasters for any less than 2 grand. Where are you seeing them in my price range?
Try ebay, craigslist and other sites that sell stuff. I got a used vintage Speedmaster for under 800.00 It was made in 1969, the year it went to the moon. A real classic. I'll check around for you.

Noodles

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've got an Omega Seamaster - http://www.omegawatches.com/gents/seamaster/300-m-quartz/22218000.

These are cheaper than the Speedmaster, and I prefer the look. A quick check online shows you can get them for $1500 in the US - http://www.watches-swiss.com/Omega-2221-80-00-Seamaster-mens-Swiss-watch-p7514.html. You might be able to find them cheaper.

If you're going to spend $1k on a watch, you might as well get one that going to last you a lifetime and that people will recognise - even if that means waiting a few more months to splash out.

AAAgent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd go with what noodles is saying and hold out for a better watch. The better the watch you get the better the investment. If you get a decent watch, it won't depreciate like everything else and you can actually pass it on if you take good care of it or you can even sell it.

Mr.Positive

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
AAAgent said:
I'd go with what noodles is saying and hold out for a better watch. The better the watch you get the better the investment. If you get a decent watch, it won't depreciate like everything else and you can actually pass it on if you take good care of it or you can even sell it.
This is good advise.

Squirrels, if you do not like flashy watches, you may appreciate the most expensive watch ever made. It's not flashy, nobody would notice you wearing it...:rolleyes:

http://www.mostexpensivewatch.net/

I do not wear watches, but if I did, my vote goes to the Omega Seamaster. That looks like a great watch, imo.