Mother gives back adopted son.

Upside

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100410/ap_on_re_us/us_russia_adopted_boy

SHELBYVILLE, Tenn. – Torry Hansen was so eager to become a mother that she adopted an older child from a foreign country, two factors that scare off many prospective parents. Her bigger fears came later.

Torry's mother, Nancy Hansen, said the 7-year-old's violent episodes — which culminated in a threat to burn the family's home to the ground — terrified them into a shocking solution: The boy they renamed Justin was put on a plane by himself and sent back to Russia.

Now, outraged officials in that country are calling for a halt to adoptions by Americans, and authorities are investigating the family. However, Nancy Hansen told The Associated Press that the motives of her daughter — a 33-year-old, unmarried nurse — were sincere.

"The intent of my daughter was to have a family and the intent of my whole family was to love that child," she said Friday.
I don't know what to really say about this. Aren't there any regulations that prevent this from happening? I wonder how the kid would have been treated if he came strait from the mothers womb with a proper father figure in his life...you know to set him strait.

taiyuu_otoko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
While it is horrible to send the kid back like that, I do believe there may be some truth that the adoption agency was trying to "get rid of him."

As harsh as it sounds, unless you are some hardcore mother theresa, adopting a kid that's older than one or two years old is gonna be filled with difficulties, especially if he/she is coming from a different country/culture.

I think that story has FAIL on many levels, and on all parties involved.

It also reminded me of this movie, which is the sickest/coolest psychological thriller I've seen in a while.

iqqi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This kid had FAS (Fetal Alcohol Syndrome) and if you don't know anything about that you better read up before casting any kind of judgement. Think akin to BPD, but with actual brain damage. Kids with FAS are FVCKED UP.

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
there is always a huge risk when you adopt , that no matter who you are, what your marital status is, no matter where you live, and no matter how much good you try to instill into that child... that he could grow up to become a murderer.
you have no idea what dna you are getting when you adopt.

now, i am not saying adoption is bad... but i am saying that you have no idea what you will get until you look back.

Stagger Lee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
iqqi said:
This kid had FAS (Fetal Alcohol Syndrome) and if you don't know anything about that you better read up before casting any kind of judgement. Think akin to BPD, but with actual brain damage. Kids with FAS are FVCKED UP.
Yeah Russian adoption passes off their FAS orphans and then gets all indignant that someone sends one back. What was the woman suppose to do fly there with him to Russia? She was well within her right to send him back.

BigJimbo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When I see guys in their 30's stuck in America posting on here I can't help but laugh. You only wish you would have been on that plane to Russia. I doubt if you would be dating single mothers or women around your ages. Just a hunch :rolleyes:

PRMoon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My mother works in adoptions in my home town of Maryland. This story doesn't even bring a tear to my eye when compared with the horror stories she told me about some of the things adopted parents do to children. I'm not going to say all adopted children are f*cked up but living your life going from home to home from a young age until adulthood can absolutely devastate ones psyche. It's the same with any broken home where there isn't any positive reinforcement for a child, they don't develop a sense of self worth. That's just the way the world is, like it or not.