Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Moderation or abstinence

switch7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Last weekend I went out for drinks for the first time in 6 weeks. Before that I hadn't drank for maybe 3 months. Anyways the next day I had a hangover and did little more than nothing that day.

Today is my second day in the gym since then and again I have zero energy despite sleeping lots and eating well.

My level of productivity has also plummeted and I am now battling constant urges to surf the internet aimlessly or go on social media. I'm also craving for junk food much more than usual and finding it easier to get into pedantic discourse with others and chest beating..

These are all old problems that are rearing there ugly head once again.

When I live in abstinence of alcohol, my life seems to run smoothly and I actually start to get a kick out of being productive and living a mundane lifestyle.

I'm not an alcoholic in any shape or form but I can't do things by halves. If I go out for drinks it will be a heavy night.

This carries through into everything else I do .I.e. If I open a can of pringles I have to eat the whole can or none at all. If I find a new interest or hobby I will have to submerge myself deep into it and explore it throughly, or I will drop it completely. If I have a goal I will make plans for every detail or step of the way and spreadsheet it, otherwise I will not bother with the goal.

I cannot do moderation. Anyone else have this problem?

Reactions: Von

logicallefty

Reaction score
There are certain beers that I can drink only one of. Then others that if I have one I have to have six. I also relate to not having energy for 2-3 days after a night of heavy drinking.

IKO69

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Moderation. Abstinence never helps, you are only denying yourself. Life is supposed ot be fun why are you going to deny yourself the pleasures that come along with it? There are people who don't smoke, drink and keep fit and they suffer a heart attack in their 30's and are gone from this world. Then you have people who break all the rules and live until the old age of 90+. It's all the luck of the draw.

switch7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Moderation. Abstinence never helps, you are only denying yourself. Life is supposed ot be fun why are you going to deny yourself the pleasures that come along with it? There are people who don't smoke, drink and keep fit and they suffer a heart attack in their 30's and are gone from this world. Then you have people who break all the rules and live until the old age of 90+. It's all the luck of the draw.
well, there are pleasures to be had in life that are good for you. Like exercise etc.

Also I don't think life is supposed to be fun. In reality i'd say 80 -90% of life is struggle. 10% is enjoyment. But if you learn to embrace the struggle then you start to see the struggle differently, and you actually start to enjoy it in a weird way.

Billtx49

Reaction score
When I live in abstinence of alcohol, my life seems to run smoothly and I actually start to get a kick out of being productive and living a mundane lifestyle.

If I go out for drinks it will be a heavy night.

If I open a can of pringles I have to eat the whole can or none at all.

I cannot do moderation.
You answered your own question. You have a strong compulsise behavior. Recognize it and adjust your life accordingly to be the best you…

ChristopherColumbus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You answered your own question. You have a strong compulsise behavior. Recognize it and adjust your life accordingly to be the best you…
Yes, I'd agree with this. I was quite similar. I'd go out for a night on the town... and it always would end badly.... not just for that night, but in terms of my 'personal development', where I had the desire to become a stronger more resilient person.

What it too for me was a period of abstinence... to the point where I felt a change in myself. Now that my character has changed somewhat, I find moderation is not a problem.

as for those who say life is all about pleasure... 'eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we die', I say neither a Stoic nor Epicurean be. If I had to err to one side, it would be toward the Stoic, but then there are higher pleasures to be found than simply physical ones. If you consign yourself to hedonism, you may not have really lived.