Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Mike tyson returns to boxing

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
more buildup
is that around your Thanksgiving date in U.S. too?

genius
Yes, it is the saturday of Thanksgiving weekend. It is a great time slot. I know a promoter in northern Illinois who does only one mma event per year, always on that date. People are desperate for entertainment and bored of their relatives.

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You have to watch his fight against Joe Calzaghe. Jones got a taste of his own medicine in that fight. Man was he outclassed. I mean, outclassing the speed virtuoso Roy Jones is something not many fighters at that time could say about themselves.

Respect to Calzaghe but he fought both Jones and Hopkins past their prime and got floored in both fights. He did dominate Jones afterwards but the Hopkins fight was close and could have gone either way.

I also wouldn't compare him to Jack Dempsey.. Dempsey was a power puncher who threw bombs.. Comparing Dempsey to Tyson would be more accurate. Calzaghe more of quick handed high volume puncher and not so much a knock out artist.

HyenaPrince

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Respect to Calzaghe but he fought both Jones and Hopkins past their prime and got floored in both fights.
Calzaghe is only 3 years younger than Jones. The prime argument just doesn't do it. You don't know how it would've went 10 years earlier. Maybe he would've destroyed Jones. Roy beat Hopkins in 1993 and then lost to him two years after losing to Calzaghe in 2008. Hopkins even went on to win about 7-8 fights after losing to Calzaghe. How did he do that?

I also wouldn't compare him to Jack Dempsey.. Dempsey was a power puncher who threw bombs.. Comparing Dempsey to Tyson would be more accurate. Calzaghe more of quick handed high volume puncher and not so much a knock out artist.
Yeah Tyson emulated Dempsey on purpose. The comparison might be more accurate if you hold those two next to each other. I was referring to Calzaghe also being a bruiser. He dismantled his opponents with his stiff hooks that almost looked like slaps. Those reminded me of the Dempsey Roll. Calzaghe has a knockout rate of almost 70%, compared to Dempsey who had about 81% knockouts. I'd call them both knockout artists.

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Calzaghe is only 3 years younger than Jones. The prime argument just doesn't do it. You don't know how it would've went 10 years earlier. Maybe he would've destroyed Jones. Roy beat Hopkins in 1993 and then lost to him two years after losing to Calzaghe in 2008. Hopkins even went on to win about 7-8 fights after losing to Calzaghe. How did he do that?
So let me first say I think Calzaghe was a great fighter. Most people say Jones in his prime would have beaten Calzaghe soundly. I actually don't necessarily agree.... I think its possible Calzaghe could have won that fight but it most likely would have been via close decision... but I do think Roy Jones would have been correctly favored. I cannot see how he would have destroyed a prime Jones... no way in hell...

You cannot compare the Roy Jones who lost to both Calzaghe and Hopkins to the prime version of himself. Aside from age there is the residual effect prior fights have on someone. Roy Jones had already been knocked out twice by the time he fought Calzaghe and an additional time by the time he fought Hopkins again. Hopkins late success is a prime example of not suffering that residual effect.. He was a great defensive fighter who didn't take the damage other fighters have. That and a spartan lifestyle allowed him to be successful.

Yeah Tyson emulated Dempsey on purpose. The comparison might be more accurate if you hold those two next to each other. I was referring to Calzaghe also being a bruiser. He dismantled his opponents with his stiff hooks that almost looked like slaps. Those reminded me of the Dempsey Roll. Calzaghe has a knockout rate of almost 70%, compared to Dempsey who had about 81% knockouts. I'd call them both knockout artists.
I guess we'll just have to disagree. I don't have Calzaghe's numbers in front of me but I know he didn't score KOs or TKOs in his highest profile fights (Jeff Lacy, Mikkel Kessler, BHop RJones). I do think he hit harder than he is given credit for but I think its more the volume of punches he is able to throw versus the power behind them. I'd guess most of Calzaghe's knockouts are via TKO which stands for technical knock out (ref stopping fight, corner throwing in towel etc...) I know you know what that means but true knock out artists are able to amass a lot of pure KOs (knock outs). How many non technical knockouts does Cazlaghe have versus Dempsey?

HyenaPrince

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So let me first say I think Calzaghe was a great fighter. Most people say Jones in his prime would have beaten Calzaghe soundly. I actually don't necessarily agree.... I think its possible Calzaghe could have won that fight but it most likely would have been via close decision... but I do think Roy Jones would have been correctly favored. I cannot see how he would have destroyed a prime Jones... no way in hell...

You cannot compare the Roy Jones who lost to both Calzaghe and Hopkins to the prime version of himself. Aside from age there is the residual effect prior fights have on someone. Roy Jones had already been knocked out twice by the time he fought Calzaghe and an additional time by the time he fought Hopkins again. Hopkins late success is a prime example of not suffering that residual effect.. He was a great defensive fighter who didn't take the damage other fighters have. That and a spartan lifestyle allowed him to be successful.

I guess we'll just have to disagree. I don't have Calzaghe's numbers in front of me but I know he didn't score KOs or TKOs in his highest profile fights (Jeff Lacy, Mikkel Kessler, BHop RJones). I do think he hit harder than he is given credit for but I think its more the volume of punches he is able to throw versus the power behind them. I'd guess most of Calzaghe's knockouts are via TKO which stands for technical knock out (ref stopping fight, corner throwing in towel etc...) I know you know what that means but true knock out artists are able to amass a lot of pure KOs (knock outs). How many non technical knockouts does Cazlaghe have versus Dempsey?
Yeah he mainly has TKOs. Dempsey literally fought for his life. His story is also pretty fascinating. He hadn't eaten for days before his fights sometimes. F*cking beast.

Calzaghe had disgusting punching power. Later in his career he didn't put all his weight into his punches. I believe he landed twice the amount of punches against Hopkins, and also outdid him in power punches.
I'm a big fan of Jones. He was an assassin in his prime. Of all his opponents, Calzaghe delivered the most punches in a bout. Nonetheless, Jones scored more powerpunches. Which doesn't surprise me.

It would be interesting to see him against Jones in his prime. If a post-prime Jones could floor him in the first round, we can only imagine the bloody battle they would've had.

mrgoodstuff

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

When some of the previously "undefeatable" guys get knocked out, they lose a lot of their power and sharpness and some guys it may never return to that point, and others might need a few warm up fights. It really is a mental ELEVATION thing. All that "HIGH" thinking, really does perform better.

I think a prime Cazlaghe would've much bigger Issue with a Prime Roy Jones. But he is a really tough guy, and his volume punching and lack of fear would be an issue.

mrgoodstuff

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Until I can see all abs with thin skin, and around 215-220, I'm going to think he's too "fat", too "big" where he proved his fighting weight was 215-220.

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah he mainly has TKOs. Dempsey literally fought for his life. His story is also pretty fascinating. He hadn't eaten for days before his fights sometimes. F*cking beast.

Calzaghe had disgusting punching power. Later in his career he didn't put all his weight into his punches. I believe he landed twice the amount of punches against Hopkins, and also outdid him in power punches.
I'm a big fan of Jones. He was an assassin in his prime. Of all his opponents, Calzaghe delivered the most punches in a bout. Nonetheless, Jones scored more powerpunches. Which doesn't surprise me.

It would be interesting to see him against Jones in his prime. If a post-prime Jones could floor him in the first round, we can only imagine the bloody battle they would've had.
Yeah unfortunately a fight we can only speculate on. My favorite Calzaghe performance was against Jeff Lacy. Lacy was the undefeated power puncher and was odds favored to win. I think a lot of people saw him knocking Joe out. Calzaghe put on a clinic... also showed his toughness... I remember him saying in his corner "he can't punch for shvit" lol

mrgoodstuff

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Roy Jones said he will be more prepared and more amped up because it's Tyson and he can get hurt. So he'll be prepared.

mrgoodstuff

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Some old training vids showing his practiced fundamentals were exactly what he employed on people

BMX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You can leave boxing but it never leaves you. Shiet. I started up again in 2018 at the ripe age of 30. I also heard Joe Rogan mentioning some of the older UFC guys resurging their careers after dabbling with TRT. It's a game changer.

christie

Banned
Reaction score
Well that was pretty boring. They both looked old, fat, and slow.
I watched a little bit on a blurry yt channel, I'll keep looking for more footage.

I was impressed with what I saw.

Makes me rethink dating older men. I never thought I would, but I realise now I've been prejudiced/age-ist.