Mid's Weightlifting Journal

mid_au

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been lifting for a few weeks now and just finished my third workout for the week. I decided to take it a bit more seriously and post my progress up for comments and suggestions. :D

Just a couple of questions guys.. I havent gained any weight since starting but have gained strength and can see a difference in the mirror. Does this mean my body fat is lower? Also how can i gain muscle around my stomach on the sides? Do crunches work the side muscles too? I think this is the area which makes me look/feel a lot skinnier.

The Journal:

Start Date: 1st May 2005

Weight: 69kg

Goal Weight: ~85kg

Height: 5'11"

Programme: skinny-guy

Supplements: None yet (Soon i will be using Whey, Creatine, L-Glutamine, Multivitamins)

Weight Check: Once a week

My Current Progress:

26/4 2005 (Chest, Shoulders, Triceps)

Bench Press:

43kg x 10
44.5kg x 7
46kg x 4
47kg x 4
43kg x 5

Shoulder Press:

22.5kg x 6
25kg x 4
27.5kg x 2
30kg x 1
22.5 x 6

Shrugs:

53kg x 10
53kg x 10
53kg x 10
53kg x 10

28/4 2005 (Legs)

Squats:

45kg x 10
47.5kg x 7
50kg x 5
50kg x 4

Stiff-Legged Deadlifts:

53kg x 8
53kg x 8
53kg x 8
53kg x 8

Calve Raises:

53kg x 12
53kg x 15

30/4 2005 (Back, Bicep)

Wide Grip Pull-ups:

Reps: 9, 7, 5, 5.

One-Arm Rows:

35kg x 8
35kg x 8
35kg x 8
35kg x 8

Standing Dumbell Curls:

13.5kg x 6
13.5kg x 4
14kg x 3
13kg x 3

Bar Reverse Curls:

18kg x 8
19kg x 6

There are a couple of supersets i didnt include, but i might put these in future posts.

Cheers:cool:

Double

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
hey mid

you can do crunches to the side. but don't do this, it isn't good for the V-shape. normal crunches work them, too, but not that intense as cross crunches or whatever they are called in english:D you will look good on the sides anyway after you have gained some weight ****ING EAT

yeah probably your bf is a little bit lower and your central nervous system is more used to weight lifting which makes you lift stronger.

BUT WHAT IT MEANS IS THAT YOU HAVE TO ****ING EAT MORE!!!!!!FUCIN EAT LIKE TOMORROW IS A NEW ICE AGE AND YOUR BODY IS YOUR FOOD STORAGE

cheers

mid_au

Don Juan
Reaction score
Haha thanks Double! Yeah im starting to eat heaps more its hard to start off with. I should be getting some supplements soon so im looking forward to some big gains. Im in this for the long haul!

Oh and i'll stick to the crunches.

Double

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
good to hear man i hope it will be true. ALWAYS remember many do want to start getting a better body but few have the endurance to keep going. you have to work on the mind, too.

unless you have enough money i would stick to whey and multivitamin(dont forget some fishoil caps or flaxseedoil). whey is sooo much more important. creatine maybe works good for you maybe it doesnt yeh try it out. glutamine is espiacially good while cutting or when you have trained for a while. but protein and healthy food (like omega3 fat acids and vitamins/minerals) is all you need unless you want to become very big.

mid_au

Don Juan
Reaction score
Well ive been lifting for a few weeks now so im past all the beginner stuff. I have to admit i did skip a workout or two up to now but from now on it wont happen.

So you think creatine isnt worth it for the money? How much does it cost? I will probably just start off with whey and multi-vits and flax seed oil.

The inspiration for this journal comes from the other journals on here which i had a read through today. I'm sick of being the skinny guy dammit ! :mad:

cheers

Double

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The inspiration for this journal comes from the other journals on here which i had a read through today. I'm sick of being the skinny guy dammit !
same with me

yeh creatin is only a big hype IMO, it may help you a bit, but i highly doubt that it has a great influence on the gains. but different people different bodys

mid_au

Don Juan
Reaction score
03/5 2005 (Chest, Shoulders, Triceps)

Hey guys,

Heres my first journal update! I upped my weights and managed to lift them, so im pumped. I'll have another update in 2 days when i do my leg workout :cool:

03/5 2005 (Chest, Shoulders, Triceps)

Bench Press:

47.5kg x 9
49kg x 5
50kg x 4
51kg x 1
47.5kg x 4

Incline Dumbell Flyes:

15.5kg x 11

Shoulder Press:

25kg x 7
27.5kg x 4
30kg x 2
32.5kg x 2
25 x 3

Shrugs:

53kg x 10
53kg x 10
53kg x 10
53kg x 10

I need more weights!

Cheers :D

mid_au

Don Juan
Reaction score
05/5 2005 (Legs)

Did my legs workout today and felt sick afterwards as usual. I hate doing leg workouts! I also bought another two 10kg plates.

Here's the workout:

05/5 2005 (Legs)

Squats:

47.5kg x 8
51kg x 5
53kg x 5
55kg x 3
47.5kg x 7

Leg Extensions:

45kg x 15

Stiff-Legged Deadlifts:

65kg x 8
67.5kg x 5
70kg x 4
73kg x 3
65kg x 6

Hamstring Curl:

40kg x 10

Calve Raises:

65kg x 10
65kg x 8

Back and biceps update in 2 days! :cool:

mid_au

Don Juan
Reaction score
07/5 2005 (Back, Biceps)

Hey guys. Quick update, gotta run.

Cheers

07/5 2005 (Back, Biceps)

Wide Grip Pull-ups:

Reps: 8, 6, 5, 5.

One-Arm Rows:

40kg x 8
42.5kg x 6
45kg x 3 (bad form)
45kg x 3 (bad form)

Standing Dumbell Curls:

14kg x 6
14kg x 5
15kg x 2
15kg x 2

Bar Reverse Curls:

19kg x 6
20kg x 6

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Way to keep the gains coming. Keep it up man!

decisive

Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: 05/5 2005 (Legs)

Originally posted by mid_au
Did my legs workout today and felt sick afterwards as usual. I hate doing leg workouts!
Yeah, I get the impression that it's normal to feel like puking after a legs session, which is what happens to me.

Fvck mate, I just read your journal and you're putting me to shame!

I've only just reached 40kg, and that's only on my legs!

Enough lifting like a pvssy for me, I've now got someone to benchmark against!:D

keep going mate!

mid_au

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys!

Originally posted by decisive
Fvck mate, I just read your journal and you're putting me to shame!

I've only just reached 40kg, and that's only on my legs!

Enough lifting like a pvssy for me, I've now got someone to benchmark against!:D

keep going mate!
I just had a look at your journal, keep up the good work! its good to have some friendly competition :D

cheers :cool:

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
We told you you should up the weights decisive. =) Lift heavier but keep the form in mind.

mid_au! You seem pretty strong, keep hitting it hard like this.

mid_au

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Lifeforce
We told you you should up the weights decisive. =) Lift heavier but keep the form in mind.

mid_au! You seem pretty strong, keep hitting it hard like this.
Haha i dont look strong (yet :cool: )! I push myself pretty hard so hopefully it pays off with some good gains :D

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think your rows look very good. I don't think I could pull many reps with the 45 kg dbs on the one arm rows.

Grandor

Don Juan
Reaction score
The rows look good, but remember to keep good form.
It isnt going to help your lats any if you dont keep the arm holding the bench straight, and your back straight and looking dead ahead. NOT DOWN.

mid_au

Don Juan
Reaction score
yeah i dont have great form with my rows, im thinking of doing barbell rows instead.. will that affect my workout ?

mid_au

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Grandor
The rows look good, but remember to keep good form.
It isnt going to help your lats any if you dont keep the arm holding the bench straight, and your back straight and looking dead ahead. NOT DOWN.
After reading that i realise my form hasnt been the best.. might have to lower my weights :mad:

Cheers