Meditation Matters

suavedave

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I see threads on working out, but how about meditation?

Right now, I do Taichi and this helps a lot by allowing you to observe the mind as it functions in daily life. What I found is that the mind can be very distrated and think about a lot of things-- not concentrating on the present moment. Taichi allows you to glimpse at the mind's flunctuating state, and then in a controlled environment learn to be more fully present with what you are doing.

Another self-improvement technique I use is meditation. I try to do this every day (on the way into work) and at a meditation center. I block off the entire trip to work (about 1/2) and I just forget about sarging and everything else. I concentrate on BBS (Breath, Body, Sound) and remain peaceful and serene. This does wonders for the rest of the day. I go to the meditation center 3 times a week (sat: 3 hours, sun (1-2 hrs) th (1 hour) sometimes wed (1-1 1/2 hrs). Absolutely great recharger.

Finally, meditation in action: Pick up the book The Art of Mindfulness by Thich Nhat Hanh. Something I do in daily life is to remain centered on my breath as I go through my activities. So, if I'm walking, or doing something I maintain a bit of awareness on my breathing at the same time. This helps me keep centered. It works when using the computer as well, to allow the energy to remain inside and not allowing it to be drained out in the activity. Try it!

Julian

Banned
Reaction score
This has always interested me but i havent gotten around to it. Sounds like a good way to focus ya energy ya know.

suavedave

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
meditation

It is... but you need balance. I am seeing more and more that to be the KING ... you need to do both. Of the two I prefer meditation, but PU has it's advantanges. Enjoy the best of both worlds!

B9

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, i do mediation, not not much formal, like sitting in proper posture and such. Just whenever I find time, even if only a few minutes and even when i do stuff. Not so much objectbased meditation as you (that is mainly what in Buddhism is referred to as Shamatha or tranqulity mediation), more just being aware of whatever arises in the mind (Vipassana), increasing the quality of awareness by detaching from the factors (attachments) of mind that condition and steer our minds normally.

Thich Nhat Hanh is good. Very down-to-earth in his presentation. I found what people like Linji , and Hongzhi Zhenjue to be especially valuable to me.

A more apparoachable guide might be:
The Power of Mindfulness

fan27

Don Juan
Reaction score
What is a "meditation center" like? I live in Florida and have never heard of a "meditation center".

Thanks

Paranoid

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
There was a thread before on meditation.I'll link it up with this post.

Meditation.Try it.

There are many forms of meditation but in the end all one hopes to achieve from meditation is contentment with themselves.

Vipassana do have meditation centers in the US and other parts of the world.A meditation center is a place where meditators can meet up and continue with their regular routine in meditation even if they have to be travelling from one place to another(but this depends on whether the place they have to travel to has a center or not!). Also, these centers provide a 3-day course for beginners which could be tried out.

Metta.

Demon of the Fall

Reaction score
Hmmm well I know a lot about meditation and related things, I've been practicing it on and off for about 4 years now. It really does do wonders for you and I encourage everyone to try it. If you guys want to relate this to DJ-ism then meditation can make you totally calm and in control, I find that after I meditate I'm much more social and I just project this calm attitude that attracts people... Of course it's a much deeper experience but I won't talk much about it, just try it for yourselves.

As for Tai-Chi, I used to do it for about a year and a half and I really want to start doing it again though it's not possible at the moment. It's a great technique for really knowing your body, it's a weird idea but I remember making out with this girl two years ago and I actually applied what I learned in Tai-Chi... See, there's this exercise you do that helps you enticipate your opponent's movements, you basically learn to feel more with your hands and know what the other person wants/going to do... Haha I guess I applied it to more than just martial arts :p Basically the more in-touch you are with your body, you become more sensual...

Damn, I really need to get back doing this $hit :)

suavedave

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree B9. Thich Nhat really influenced me a lot. The Miracle of Mindfulness was a great book. I love Linji and I will check out the other fellow you mentioned.
I think anything of this sort will help. Screw new age ****... There are like 200 buddhist centers here in Vancouver alone. Hey guys -- great way to meet women... + soon.

dave134 -- I am sure you want a teacher. Try to find a Zen abott in your area... or better a roshi (master).

Paranoid. I am sure Goenka is an extremely good teacher. His mindfulness practice is great (and free).

Demon of the Fall -- I agree, Tai Chi is great. I am hoping to get into it more... it's super good to balance meditation with activity. Let's be dedicated. :)