Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

maybe stupid question about shaving

snoop8

Don Juan
Reaction score
hey, i just end up shaving my face, and i noticed that there were still some tiny little hair even though i had passed the razor over the same place a lot of times, so i did it like instead of going up and down, i did it down and up and that kinda did the trick! but i just remembed somebody told me that if u do that, that ur facial hair was gonna start growning all crazy! like instead of ur facial hair going down, it goes up and down all crazy, so my question is, is that true? and also, wats the proper way to shave just using a razor and maybe a eletric shaver?

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's called "shaving against the grain", and it's rather common. Regarding "the hair growing out all crazy", just think about what the objective of shaving is - to get rid of hair. Who cares how it's going to grow out since you'll be shaving it virtually every day? Even if you skip half a week of shaving the odds are good you'll still only have a centimeter or so of growth... the only time you'll really start looking scruffy is after 2 weeks of not shaving...

Anyway, I use a Remington Titanium Smart System Self-Cleaning Rotary Shaver.

proScribe

Don Juan
Reaction score
eh i disagree i wouldnt shave the other way a whole lot... i mean what if it actually does fvck up your hair? You might want to grow it out eventually so i would stick to shaving with the grain

I dont have a dad but my brother tought me the same thing however maybe u should clean your blade more often while you shave for a cleaner cut. Also if its just a few hairs then going aganst the grain probably isnt a big deal but take it slow and dont get so crazy with it.

Unregistered

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've never heard of that. I shave against the grain and mine grows just normal.

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by proScribe
eh i disagree i wouldnt shave the other way a whole lot... i mean what if it actually does fvck up your hair? You might want to grow it out eventually so i would stick to shaving with the grain
Just out of curiosity, how old are you? How long have you been shaving for? Do you have any backing or information that would substantiate your claim... at all?

Let's review the facts - even if shaving against the grain caused the hair to grow out at odd angles for the first few centimeters, how much of a problem is that going to be? You're growing a beard. A beard is long hair. Long hair isn't going to be ramrod straight. As it gets longer it gets softer. When your beard gets long enough you'll start to use a comb on it.

By the way, how many people have you ever seen that you instantly thought "Wow, that guy must have shaved against the grain when he was a kid because his beard really looks like its going out at all angles!?" :rolleyes:

proScribe

Don Juan
Reaction score
for diablo

for the non-believers =P, the only source i have is my brothers advice but ill look for some on google, 2 secs plz..

"Shaving against the direction of hair growth gives a closer shave, but has two drawbacks:

It's a good way to donate blood, and
You run a high risk of cutting off a hair below skin level, causing an ingrown hair--the whisker grows into the surrounding tissue instead of out of the pore, resulting in inflammation and possible infection.
To avoid these problems, shave "with the grain" (that is, in the direction your hair grows.) Each person's facial hair has its own growth pattern. If you are unsure of the direction of your beard, let it grow for a day or two and you'll see it.

Professional barbers, by the way, usually first shave with the grain, and then re-shave going sideways. I asked Cecil if there was enough money in the Straight Dope Research & Entertainment Fund for me to go to a barber so I could report back firsthand, but no dice.

That was the short answer, and those of you with short attention spans can now click elsewhere. For those who care, here's some additional information about shaving."

so it would seem that you can cause an ingrown hair or something didnt read all of it heres link for u diablo

- from http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mshave.html

TheLibraryGhost

Don Juan
Reaction score
Disadvantages of shaving against the grain:

* Possible ingrown hairs
* Razor burn
* More likely to cut yourself
* Worse for your skin

Advantages of shaving against the grain:

* Closer shave (but sometimes too close, hence ingrown hairs)
* Don't have to give a **** about which way you're shaving

Basically yes, shaving against the grain isn't a good thing...but I still do it, the vast majority of guys probably do it, and the only real reason I'd stop is if I suffered from the above disadvantages and decided it wasn't worth the hassle any more. *shrugs*

It's up to you, put simply.

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: for diablo

Originally posted by proScribe
so it would seem that you can cause an ingrown hair or something didnt read all of it heres link for u diablo[/url]
What you said earlier was that it might "f*ck up your hair". If you'd asked if an ingrown hair(s) was possible then I'd have agreed wholeheartedly. Basically, shave how you want - when I use a non-electric razor I go against the grain and I've had no problems.

splinterkb

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Going against the grain gives you a reaaaalllly smooth shave.