Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Match/Yahoo! Fraud (Article)

TooColdUlrick

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
NEW YORK (Reuters) - It's not easy finding love in cyberspace, and now some frustrated online daters say they were victims of fraud by two top Internet matchmaking services and have taken their complaints to court.

ADVERTISEMENT

Match.com, a unit of IAC/Interactive Corp., is accused in a federal lawsuit of goading members into renewing their subscriptions through bogus romantic e-mails sent out by company employees. In some instances, the suit contends, people on the Match payroll even went on sham dates with subscribers as a marketing ploy.

"This is a grossly fraudulent practice that Match.com is engaged in," said H. Scott Leviant, a lawyer at Los Angeles law firm Arias, Ozzello & Gignac LLP, which brought the suit.

Match "promotes the policies of integrity to protect members, and yet they themselves, we allege, are misleading their entire customer base," he said.

The company said it does not comment on pending litigation. But Match spokeswoman Kristin Kelly said the company "absolutely does not" employ people to go on dates with subscribers or to send members misleading e-mails professing romantic interest. The company has about 15 million members worldwide and 250 employees, she said.

In a separate suit, Yahoo Inc. (Nasdaq:YHOO - news)'s personals service is accused of posting profiles of fictitious potential dating partners on its Web site to make it look as though many more singles subscribe to the service than actually do.

Yahoo spokeswoman Rochelle Adams said the company had no comment on the lawsuit.

The suits, which both seek class-action status, came as growth in the online dating industry has slowed, although Web matchmaking still remains a big business.

U.S. consumers spent $245.2 million on online personals and dating services in the first half of 2005, up 7.6 percent from a year earlier, according to the Online Publishers Association. That's a slower growth rate compared with several years ago.

At the same time, competition among online dating services is fierce, with some sites offering newfangled features such as extensive compatibility surveys to match up people with similar temperaments and outlooks.

ALLEGATIONS OF 'DATE BAIT'

The Match lawsuit was filed earlier this month in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles by plaintiff Matthew Evans, who contends he went out with a woman he met through the site who turned out to be nothing more than "date bait" working for the company.

The relationship went nowhere, according to his suit. Evans says Match set up the date for him because it wanted to keep him from pulling the plug on his subscription and was hoping he'd tell other potential members about the attractive woman he met through the service, according to Leviant.

His lawyers said Evans, of Orange County, California, was not available to comment, but described him as a working professional in his 30s.

Leviant said his client found out about the alleged scam after the woman he dated confessed she was employed by Match. The lawsuit also claims the company violated the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organization Act, a law best known for being used in prosecuting organized crime.

The Yahoo suit was filed last month by Robert Anthony, of Broward County, Florida. The suit, brought in U.S. District Court in San Jose, California, accuses the company of breach of contract, fraud and unfair trade practices.

Anthony's lawyer, Peter McNulty of the McNulty Law Firm in Bel Air, California, did not respond to requests for comment.

ER!C L!VE

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That blows. I've met a few guys and girls who have hooked up with a few different people from there and had fun or got laid. However, if this is lawsuit is legit, then match.com just shot itself in the foot.

lol I know you didn't like Match TCU. Maybe you'll be able to join in the lawsuit and get your money back or at least a few dollars of the settlement.

Have you heard of millionairematch? I know a 39yo guy in Cali pulling down some hot gold diggers off that site - ex models etc.

Thanks for the article:cheers:

Cheers!

Eric

john_1234

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
i'm sure this has been discussed b4 but since it's on my mind...
i used match.com several years ago. for the newbie, i think it's great practice. but if you're looking for an 8 or above, you will not find one. the best girl i went on a date on was a seven... and it takes a lot of time to land one because of the numerous rejections and follow ups. it's not worth it. its way better to improve yourself and go out and take action; you'll save more time and get way better looking girls. and if you're planning to meet someone you've met on match.com in person, make sure you have her send you several pictures first. some girls actually distort their pictures so they'll appear more attractive. sad cause they think their personalities can win a guy over but they have to realize us guys are mainly about physical looks. and lastly, eights and above most likely will not be on match.com because they already have a lot of options available to them. i heard the argument that some eights and above are tired of the bar scene or whatevers and want to try something new...like match.com! bull****.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This isn't anything new. We posted about fake profiles way back and this came up. The problem is that people believe whatever they read in the emails and the profiles attached to them. The sheer lack of qualifying skills by these people leads to their ultimate downfall online.

It's as simple as looking at the profile of the person who sent the email. They usually have no specific information in the profile. Literally any guy would fit into their compatibility range. Then look at the profile, if a guy can not recognize a fake or photoshoped picture, he'll probably fall for the 'fakeness' of the people he works with or bumps into daily.

I'm not advocating what these sites are doing, like I said it's nothing new. It's the same thing as these phone chat lines to talk to beautiful women. EVERYONE suspected that the women on the other end of the line was more than likely less than desirable. The difference with the Net is that you DO meet the people, well you do if you know what you're doing.

And by the way, New York has laws on the books that help protect customers in most of these instances. I don't know if there are other states with similar protection but understand that the laws can change from state to state.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
HBs might be on the Net, but they don't pay money for e-dating. Usually only less desireable women will pay money to a dating site. Maybe part of it is the psychological stigma of having to pay to chase men. These factors are part of why Myspace works so well as a dating site - women on there don't think of it as on-line dating.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Bible_Belt
HBs might be on the Net, but they don't pay money for e-dating. Usually only less desireable women will pay money to a dating site. Maybe part of it is the psychological stigma of having to pay to chase men. These factors are part of why Myspace works so well as a dating site - women on there don't think of it as on-line dating.
And you speak this from your personal experience, right? You've actually purchased memberships on pay sites and were only able to attract less than desirable women, right?

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
there are tons of ways to meet ppl online without paying to a dating service.

i signed up for just about everything out of boredom in the past five years and i refuse to pay extra fees.
i already pay to dial up , isnt that enough?

you can meet lots of folks just thru messengers or local chat rooms.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The chat rooms is where I've found the majority of the keyboard jockeys. Take Yahoo for example. How many of the chatters actually have a profile in the Yahoo Member section? Of those, how many have a picture? How the hell do you know who (or what) you are talking to?

I say that the majority of the naysayers of the Net are probably frequenting the free sites. When it's free, people can do whatever type of BS that they'd like. It's a bit different when someone is paying to use the service. They have a bit more invested. They are a bit more serious.

I will say that I also believe if more guys would take their ascension to DJism more seriously; actually buying the materials or taking classes that actually cost money instead of trying to download everything from a 'torrent'; would put forth more effort instead of making excuses. Everyone wants something for nothing and more times than not they get exactly what they paid for.

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
fransico we have a really great local board here called louisvillemojo.com
i wish all big towns had one of these.

racerX

Don Juan
Reaction score
Match & yahoo personals are big business & they will do anything to make more $$. If 500,000 people nation wide are paying $20 a month for yahoo personals, thats $10,000,000 a month! Multiply that times 12 months a year & you can see what a racket this really is. I am guessing 1/2 of the profiles are phony. Either they are created by bored 12 year kids or the website is faking them.

silverfox

Don Juan
Reaction score
I signed up on Match a while ago. There was an arty, blonde 8 I contacted - didn't hear anything. When I cancelled my subscription after a few months I suddenly got contacted by her.

The timing all seemed a little bit coincidental but by that time I wasn't bothered about seeing if she was for real.

There are a few profiles that reek of BS - the bored kids thing. There are also a few that I am sure are plants.

DonJuanMonk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's a waste of time for losers. You losers.
Myspace.com is also for losers. Only good looking people with fuked up brains who are losers go there. Losers.

Fuk good looking people.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by DonJuanMonk

Fuk good looking people.
Don't hate us because we're beautiful...

al77

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by racerX
Match & yahoo personals are big business & they will do anything to make more $$. If 500,000 people nation wide are paying $20 a month for yahoo personals, thats $10,000,000 a month! Multiply that times 12 months a year & you can see what a racket this really is.
Finally there is somebody who sees the real problem.
It is all about business, right?
And what kind of business they do? What do they actually do?
Help singles to meet other quality singles? This is a huge lie.
They DO NOT want single to meet other people, They want them to not meet anyone good ever. This is their gola of their business.
So they can collect the fees each month.

If they improve the servies and people start successfully meeting others, they will go out of business.
Until they chnag ethe rules of their frigging business, onling dating is going to be a very poor model of real world dating.