Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Masters of the Air on Apple TV

oc16

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Anybody else watching? While it is no Band of Brothers it is still pretty good.

I believe climbing into a B-17 bomber or B-24, B-25 took more courage than almost any other job in the US Armed Forces during the Second World War.

Sure, you didn't have to sit in a foxhole and go without hot food or a shower for days at a time like Army soldiers or Marines....but......

Imagine getting into a plane loaded with fuel, ammunition and bombs. The plane could crash at takeoff, collide with another plane while trying to get into formation, or get lost in the fog/clouds.

Once planes got into formation; they were usually about 5 miles up in the air. Temperatures were -50F (frostbite could happen at seconds) and you needed to be on oxygen at those levels. So, not only did you have to deal with the elements, you had to deal with anti-aircraft fire that shot shrapnel into the sky in every direction.

The planes had to sit there and take it unless they would be off course.

If the elements and flak didn't kill you, the hundreds of German fighters coming at you would. More Heavy bombers were shot out of the sky by enemy fighters.

Even if your plane was hit and you safely parachuted to the ground; you risked getting killed by an angry German mob who had to endure 24 hours of constant bombing raids. (The Brits bombed at night and the Americans during the day)

Read about the Russelsheim massacre.

Ever since I accidentally saw the movie Memphis Belle by accident in the movie theater at aged 13 in 1990; I have always had a keen interest in the battles that raged over the skies of Europe in World War II.

What brave men indeed!

Last edited:

9-3enthusiast

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
During WW2, my grandfather was an RAF navigator in Coastal Command.
Patrolling the seas around UK - attacking German shipping/submarines - minelaying - etc...
Would tell me his stories when I was a kid.
Did his training in Avro Ansons - then flew operationally in Bristol Blenheims, Lockheed Hudsons - Did 15 months in 519 squadron (Meteorological) in Lockheed Venturas, then the last 2 yrs of the war as navigator/radio op. in Bristol Beaufighters.
3 of his aircraft were 'brought down' by enemy fire.
One over the North Sea, pancaked onto the water then jumped into a dinghy while the plane sank - they were picked up about an hour later by a 'Sunderland' flying boat.
Another time, their engines were shot-up - they got back over land on one engine and had to put down in a field when the 2nd engine finally gave up about 40 miles short of their base.
The 3rd time they lost an engine and all hydraulics, so they had to belly-land on a Scottish beach because the wheels wouldn't fold down - had to have shrapnell removed from a thigh after that one.

Married my Grandmother in 1941 when he heard he was being posted to Gibraltar (just in case he didn't come back)
I have their wedding photo, which was originally taken in B/W and then colourised (as was the trend at the time)
(I've redacted their names for online privacy)

weddingpic.jpg

Bomber Command was another story entirely - Attrition rates in BC were ridiculously high - somewhere north of 70% were either killed or taken prisoner. Something like 45% being killed outright.

9-3enthusiast

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Ever since I accidentally saw the movie Memphis Belle by accident in the movie theater at aged 13 in 1990; I have always had a keen interest in the battles that raged over the skies of Europe in World War II.
I also developed a keen interest in military aircraft - primarily WW2 era - mostly thanks to my grandad - and have built a 48th scale replica of the Memphis Belle. (wingspan 2ft+)
I remember watching the movie on DVD, constantly pausing to sketch the dark-green camo pattern so that I could get my replica 'correct'.
And my ex-wife calling me a 'sad-nerd' for taking such lengths to get it just right.

My other main hobby (astronomy) is also thanks to my grandad - He could navigate by the stars - From the age of about 8, well into my teens we would often sit in his garden at night, passing a pair of binoculars between us as he taught me how to find my way round the constellations.

oc16

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I also developed a keen interest in military aircraft - primarily WW2 era - mostly thanks to my grandad - and have built a 48th scale replica of the Memphis Belle. (wingspan 2ft+)
I remember watching the movie on DVD, constantly pausing to sketch the dark-green camo pattern so that I could get my replica 'correct'.
And my ex-wife calling me a 'sad-nerd' for taking such lengths to get it just right.

My other main hobby (astronomy) is also thanks to my grandad - He could navigate by the stars - From the age of about 8, well into my teens we would often sit in his garden at night, passing a pair of binoculars between us as he taught me how to find my way round the constellations.
Thanks for the interesting story, God Bless your Granddad and God Bless England (Our cousins across the pond)

Yes, RAF Bomber command had 55,000 killed and a 45% death rate I believe.

Kotaix

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been watching it. It's probably second to Band of Brothers when it comes to capturing the realism and brutality of war. The acting is good, but the CGI has become off-putting in a lot of newer TV shows. It feels like I'm watching Sin City.

I got a chance to fly in Witchcraft, the B-24 that tours the US with the Collings foundation. If you ever get a chance to do it, you really should, it's worth every penny of $500. The experience of taking off in a plane that actually served in the war sent shivers down my spine thinking about how guys would fly those tin cans into combat, with a very real chance of dying in a fireball.

oc16

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been watching it. It's probably second to Band of Brothers when it comes to capturing the realism and brutality of war. The acting is good, but the CGI has become off-putting in a lot of newer TV shows. It feels like I'm watching Sin City.

I got a chance to fly in Witchcraft, the B-24 that tours the US with the Collings foundation. If you ever get a chance to do it, you really should, it's worth every penny of $500. The experience of taking off in a plane that actually served in the war sent shivers down my spine thinking about how guys would fly those tin cans into combat, with a very real chance of dying in a fireball.

I would definitely do that.