Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Master Don Juan

PoachR75

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The Chosen just said that he just got master DJ status recently. So have I, after only posting for a couple months. I don't feel that I deserve this title yet. For the mods, I agree that it should be bumped up to around 300 posts. Anybody agree? I also offer to give up the title immediately if need be.

~The_Chosen~

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I say 500

You gotta earn that title with some quality posts.

------------------
~The_Chosen~ has spoken...

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is just not an act but a habit." - Aristotle

Judge a man by his questions and not his answers.

trickynick

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Then at 1000 posts we could have the title of Grand Internet Wanker Big Daddy Spooge Choad Master Geek.

------------------
You either own the game or it owns you!

PoachR75

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
(votes YES on that one)

Giovanni Casanova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by ~The_Chosen~:
I say 500

You gotta earn that title with some quality posts.

But no matter what, whether it's at 100 posts or 500 posts or 1000 posts, the system isn't judging quality. It's judging QUANTITY.

People around here know who the masters are, regardless of what is under their names.

------------------
CASANOVA

"There are only two ways of telling the complete truth--anonymously and posthumously."
Thomas Sowell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Plato

"Before we set our hearts too much upon anything, let us examine how happy those are who already possess it."
Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Paradox

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by trickynick:
Then at 1000 posts we could have the title of Grand Internet Wanker Big Daddy Spooge Choad Master Geek.

Oops trickynick...looks like you have earned that title. You have 1036 posts.

trickynick

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Paradox:
Oops trickynick...looks like you have earned that title. You have 1036 posts.
I was waiting for someone to point that out. I can't have that title since I am a mod though. Instead we can call me, Grand Wannabe Dictator Monkey Spanking Penis Monger.

------------------
You either own the game or it owns you!

Giovanni Casanova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by trickynick:
I was waiting for someone to point that out. I can't have that title since I am a mod though. Instead we can call me, Grand Wannabe Dictator Monkey Spanking Penis Monger.

That's what I called you before. Now that I have your permission, it ain't as much fun.

j/k

------------------
CASANOVA

"There are only two ways of telling the complete truth--anonymously and posthumously."
Thomas Sowell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Plato

"Before we set our hearts too much upon anything, let us examine how happy those are who already possess it."
Francois de La Rochefoucauld

~The_Chosen~

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Giovanni Casanova:
But no matter what, whether it's at 100 posts or 500 posts or 1000 posts, the system isn't judging quality. It's judging QUANTITY.

People around here know who the masters are, regardless of what is under their names.

Yea, very true of this system, other forums I attended had moderators keeping the score of posts. Spamming would make the poster go back to 0

I made a suggestion on this.

------------------
~The_Chosen~ has spoken...

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is just not an act but a habit." - Aristotle

Judge a man by his questions and not his answers.

CobraGT

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Moved to "Suggestions and Feedback" Forum

REd-xL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
How about a ranking based on the judgment of one's peers? If someone likes what someone else posts, they "recommend" him for MDJ status. Once that individual attains a number of points, they gain rank. As well, the number of recommendations should be visible to all.

Rx

------------------
REd-xL (20) California

How do you expect to catch some fish if you don't toss out your lure? -Jerome

trickynick

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by REd-xL:
How about a ranking based on the judgment of one's peers? If someone likes what someone else posts, they "recommend" him for MDJ status. Once that individual attains a number of points, they gain rank. As well, the number of recommendations should be visible to all.

Rx

Nice thought, REd-xL. However I still see that as something that could lead to arguing and complaining. Like I've said before, anybody who sticks around here long enough to make real progress should be able to figure out who around here knows what they are talking about. We like to encourage people not to obsess over the forum and that seems to me to be encouraging of an attitude of over-importance of this place.

DeepBlue

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Just recently there was a thread called "Master Don Juan" and I posted to that, but then someone decided to start a whole new thread about the exact same topic, with the exact same title. So, in the interests of consolidating things, I will post here, what I wrote there...

If anyone actually feels like they are a "master don juan" just because they posted a lot of comments, that is the type of person whose advice I'd want to avoid.
Having just come to this board I initially assumed the title was earned some other way, and I was dismayed to find out that it is based entirely on quantity of comments posted. Back in ASF where I posted for several years, there were some useless flamers who posted ten times as much as anyone else and we were trying desperately to get rid of those people.

My point is that if the title IS going to be used then it *will* have some clout, at least initially, with every new arrival.

Then they will go through the same process of being disillusioned as I was when they discover how the title is earned.

So if the title is going to be used, it does make sense to find a more meaninful way of earning it.

Ideally it ought to reflect how good you are with women in real life, but that is simply impossible.

An outright vote as to who gets the title could work, but that sort of thing can derail the focus of the board, and is liable to encourage too much cliquishness and politicking.

The most workable barometer, IMO, would be to bestow the title on those who have posted a lot of GOOD posts. That could come, indirectly, from a sort of voting process by way of the number of posts that got bumbed into the archive.

I wouldn't mind it if there were technically an *easy* way for all the regulars (regulars only) to assign a usefulness grade or "number of stars" to each post, and then that post would end up with some average rating.

For one thing, I'd click on the five star posts first when reading through old posts. Also the number of four & five star posts could serve as the the basis for any special titles.

Ultimately this is mostly for the benefit of newbies, because the regulars are sure to find out for themselves whose advice they respect and whose they don't. However, if you set it up this way it would at least provide an extra incentive for people to post GOOD stuff--quality, not just quantity.

Whew...that turned into a long post!

DeepBlue

ghost_x01

Don Juan
Reaction score
Personally, I'd leave the current system alone (or abandon it entirely). It has quite correctly been said (more than once) that after you've been here for a while you get to know who the good posters are. Or at least whom you think the good posters are. Frankly, those are the ones that really count anyway. And actually, it doesn't even take that long to figure it out who is good and who is blowing smoke out their....

I don't think believe a peer voting system would be of any great value either. And a mod voting system strikes me as too much overhead (see trickynick's post in DJ discussion about not having enough time to mod even under the current system).
http://www.sosuave.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/012174.html

Any peer system would be far too easy to skew the results and make yourself look far more credible than you technically are. If that system was implemented all I would have to do is create a bunch of user accounts and vote on my own posts with them (6-12 should be more than adequate for the task). I could also use them to knock down the ratings of the really good posters who ticked me off or have a better rating. Heck if I wanted to be really thorough I could even use different IP addresses for each account (look up proxy servers) just so they couldn't be easily associated. It really wouldn't take much effort (quite a few people go through far more effort to accomplish a lot less than that). Luckily all that would be very unlike me. But all you have to do is look through the discussion forums and you can easily pick out a couple of posters who would.

An alternative would be a timer-based system. But that again judges a quantity not a quality. So I wouldn't see any more value in it.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts on the subject. Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions to contribute for a better system.

G. Host

Galactus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Why do we need to call each other these meaningless titles anyway? It's no indicator of who we are, or how much we know. I've seen posters with the title "Don Juan", who have had some excellent advice, and "Masters" that apparently have their craniums lodged in their posteriors.

I just wish there was a separate forum for newbie questions ("Does She like me?", "What is kino?" "What should I do if she asks for sex?") so I can find the stuff that is at my level, and not have my posts knocked down to the bottom of the page in ten minutes by these moronic questions.

I believe there's a place for newbie questions, and we should try to help these guys, but the meaty stuff is getting lost in the shuffle.

------------------
"When people go to the circus, they don't want to see clowns. They want to see fvcking lions and tigers, and that's what we are."
-John Gotti

Aztec

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by PoachR75:

The Chosen just said that he just got master DJ status recently. So have I, after only posting for a couple months. I don't feel that I deserve this title yet. For the mods, I agree that it should be bumped up to around 300 posts. Anybody agree? I also offer to give up the title immediately if need be.
I agree with you, Poach. I too don't feel that I deserve that status yet. No one or nothing can mark you as a "Master" except for yourself. Only you can feel when you achieve that status.

But if we are going to try to be objective here, I'd say a total of 500 posts to include 2 sensible contributions in the Tips section.

------------------
"Don't think you are, you know you are."

-Morpheus-

"...You don't attack America like this and get away with it."

COLIN POWELL

[This message has been edited by Aztec (edited 03-08-2002).]

Aztec

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Regarding with my reply above. I'm even thinking about within those 2 "Tips" contribution, it should be long enough like in an short essay form. Not just "Pick up your butt of the chair and approach that chick!" That is a tip but not an intelligeble one. I think you get what I'm saying.

What do you think, Allen?

[This message has been edited by Aztec (edited 03-08-2002).]

Page

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've earned the rank of Master DJ.

It took me a year, but I've done it.

dead_romeo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
A newbie section sounds good, I agree that that advanced topics and begginers should be given equal importance, but first you have to seperate them.

------------------
"Conclusions arrived at through reasoning have very little or no influence in altering the course of our lives. Hence, the countless examples of people who have the clearest convictions and yet act diametrically against them time and time again; and have as the only explanation for their behavior the idea that to err is human." Carlos Castaneda - The Fire From Within

"Hell aint a bad place to be" - AC/DC

SoSuave.com

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'll definitely keep them in mind for the future. But since this software doesn't allow voting on posts, assigning titles, etc., we don't really have to worry about all the problems those would create right now. Maybe in the future.

Of course, everyone who has been around the forum for any amount of time knows that the title means nothing. It's certainly not indicative of knowledge.

Its purpose is mainly to reward those who contribute to the board on a regular basis. It also serves as a personal reinforcer, perhaps re-energizing those who may be getting a little bored or tired.

And although occasionally someone posts that he doesn't want the title because he doesn't feel he's earned it, most seem delighted when they realize they now have that title. They're happy about it.

And I'm just here to make people happy.