Mark Cuban

chevelle

Don Juan
Reaction score
There is no doubt about it, this guy is brilliant. He is living the dream, and having a lot of fun doing so. He makes being successful seem so easy and attainable.

I notice that a lot of people write to him, and ask for his advice or professional opinion. He discusses in great detail, that most big companies were started without funding/money. They were started on shear hard work and sweat. Dell, microsoft, and his company for example.

I have a lot of good ideas, but they all require funding to start up. Last time i checked, running/owning a website isn't free, and neither are patents?

Can someone who understands business, please explain his logic? I would love to be an entrepreneur, but am lacking from the knowledge of "how to start." It gets frustrating, knowing success is achievable but seems so far away!

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
chevelle said:
...I notice that a lot of people write to him, and ask for his advice or professional opinion. He discusses in great detail, that most big companies were started without funding/money. They were started on shear hard work and sweat. Dell, microsoft, and his company for example....
I agree that these companies, including Apple, weren't started with a ton of capital but the sweat is really overrated. For example, the instance that made Microsoft extremely viable only consisted in the sweat of wondering if they could buy the rights to an operating system after selling a concept to IBM which weighed heavily on those rights. Notice, the sweat had no labor associated with it, it was just marketing. Truly successful entrepreneurs do not work for their company, they promote it. Get the idea? ;)

blueguy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
chevelle said:
I have a lot of good ideas, but they all require funding to start up. Last time i checked, running/owning a website isn't free, and neither are patents?

Can someone who understands business, please explain his logic? I would love to be an entrepreneur, but am lacking from the knowledge of "how to start." It gets frustrating, knowing success is achievable but seems so far away!
The greatest establishments in history rose to power because they identified a small problem that could be exploited on a small scale and consequently used to acquire resources to further exploit that same problem on a much grander scale. Simple as that.

Start small.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
blueguy said:
The greatest establishments in history rose to power because they identified a small problem that could be exploited on a small scale and consequently used to acquire resources to further exploit that same problem on a much grander scale. Simple as that.

Start small.
Examples?

chevelle

Don Juan
Reaction score
I find it ironic that successful people refuse to help the little guy-- and no i am not talking about handouts or free money.

If i ever make it big, one of my main goals/objectives will be to help others accomplish their dreams and aspirations. Why not share the wealth and good fortune, if life has been good to you?

Have any of you ever met a generous wealthy person? I honestly haven't and i lived in Naples, Florida at one time...:D

azanon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
He's ... interesting, but I think just as much.. lucky. His selling broadcast.come when he did was likely as much luck as it was anything (which I believe was in 1999; right before the dot.com bust).

Cuban thinks the stock market is a scam/gambling. So did my uneducated grandfather. I think that's why his eventual savings in his older age was modest at best.

So as with any advise, take it with a grain of salt. He's definitely gifted and intelligent in some ways, but he's dam* lucky too.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
chevelle said:
I find it ironic that successful people refuse to help the little guy-- and no i am not talking about handouts or free money.

If i ever make it big, one of my main goals/objectives will be to help others accomplish their dreams and aspirations. Why not share the wealth and good fortune, if life has been good to you?

Have any of you ever met a generous wealthy person? I honestly haven't and i lived in Naples, Florida at one time...:D
A wealthy person who owns a company that employs others has done more than his/her part in helping others.