Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Managing unhappy employees

Effington

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to manage a girl that was a very nice person but very difficult to work with. Since she was paid very poorly, she was extremely resistant to being given new work. Basically, anytime I would assign her something, she would go over my head and ask my boss if she should do it. Even though my boss sided with me virtually every time, it's a poor reflection on my behalf that the incident occurs in the first place. She is generally very personable, but since she was paid so poorly, was a total biotch when it came to workload, and she openly admitted it. She always kept saying, "I don't get paid enough to do more work..." The company wasn't making enough money to give raises, and even so, I had no control over salaries. In my opinion, it was a terrible attitude. I had taken on 10x the amount of work she did. Outside working hours, we were good friends and drinking buddies; I still talk to her regularly to this day, actually. I just couldn't stand to work with her

How do you manage people like that?

I thought she was an unusual case, but one of my best friends sounds like he's starting to turn that way. He just had his annual review at work, where he was given great marks; he received twice the standard raise, and was told by his boss's boss that they are going to start challenging him more, and basically are going to train him for advancement. However, he was pissed! He wanted a promotion and a lot more money now. Since he didn't get it, he doesn't want more work/responsibility, using that same line, "I don't get paid enough for more work..." I thought it was terrible! I told him if it was so bad, at least train on that stuff for your resume, and he said that the new stuff wasn't as impressive as what he already has. I thought it was crazy that he received one of the best reviews possible, and was upset.

So, how do you make those people happy?

To me, it seems like those people will never be happy. Even if you give them more money, they will only be satisfied until something else ticks them off. When I am given more responsibility I think it's a great thing. If they don't stay competitive with pay then the experience they are giving me will make it so I can get a big raise somewhere else, so I win either way.

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
How do you manage people like that?
By acting like a manager and NOT doing the:

Outside working hours, we were good friends and drinking buddies.
You see? She does not respect you. She lacks accountability.
The way I look at it...if they don't like their pay...they should leave and find a better job. That's a better option than losing a job and losing a potential recommendation.

I mean...would you ever recommend her to anyone?

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
From a currently unhappy employee I can tell you why it occurs (at least for my case)

The majority of work we do and the things we do at work we really enjoy doing. I really do like my job, it's interesting, keeps me busy, etc.

But at some point and this has occurred at two different places I've done this career, I start to take on more and more of the workload in relation to my co-workers. I know it is due to me and the fact I don't say no, but I also think I have a stronger work ethic than many of my co-workers.

At first it is a great thing, you learn a ton and are contributing alot. But after a while resentment builds. In particular I start a day knowing what I want to do, but I get tasks heeped on me from many people other than my boss. Why? Because they know I can do it, I don't complain, I'm the easiest choice compared to some of my co-workers.

It is my own fault, but it has forced me recently to say no or seem a bit negative because I'm busier than the other guys. I am starting to let them know it.

PRMoon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Tell her to find a new job instead of b*tching about the one she has. I tell my employees that everytime they act out by saying stuff like "I need a raise" or "why should I do this? Am I going to be paid more?" I demand complete and absolute loyalty to my word from everyone working benith me. I will take things under advisement and into concideration, but when I lay down policy, they all know to follow my lead without question. I'm their supervisor and not their friend for a reason. My superiors put me in my position for a reason and it wasn't to conform duties of work to the wants of the employee.

I know that sounds harsh but it's not. I run a tight ship but my employees love me. Their bonus pay and written tips wage is high for people in our sector and those that make it genuinly appreciate the people they've become from working under me. I've helped many transfer to jobs suited for their individual strengths which grew as they did with their time served.

I also know some people are not manageable employees. They somehow think that myself and the company I work for has some obligation to make their lives better with out pushing their limits or leaving their comfort zone. Like getting a job is like a meal ticket of some kind and they can just cruise to a better life. After I give them enough chances to prove themselves and compile satisfactory evidence to the fact they have no dedication to their work at all, I convine with the rest of the managing staff, and almost 100% of the time, they get fired. My bosses believe in me and know I place the general complacentcy morale of the entire staff and it's operations over the wants and needs of any individual.

That's how I roll.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
  1. Capitalize on the strengths
  2. Set realistic expectations
  3. Tell them what's in it for them
  4. Supply meaningful feedback regularly (the good and the bad)
  5. Make adjustments and reallign if necessary
  6. Follow through on your promises
  7. Be predictable

communicator

Reaction score
Plaque Wording Appreciation
You know when they have studied employees to determine what drives job satisfaction, money is never at the top of the list. Most of the time people list things such as appreciation, fulfillment and recognition as reasons why they love their job. Have you tried other ways of showing employees like this some appreciation? A plaque wording appreciation, like “recognition of excellence” or “employee of the month” are both great options. This is just one way you can sometimes transform a complaining employee into a content one, of course, there are a few people in the world that no “plaque wording appreciation” is going to help! There are those who simply love being miserable and sharing the wealth!!

Da Realist

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just got into a management position and I'm still learning the ropes. Two things I have stuck with are letting the other person see you working and to not add anything negative.

One thing I hated working at one job was a lazy manager. I understand there are duties to be done, but being in retail and basically brushing off a lady that asked you directly for help makes me mad. The same amount of time it take to ask someone to do something could be spent doing it.

So with that, let them see you doing something. If you have an order, it's because you can't do because you're taking care of business above their pay grade. It would be the same thing as your mom telling you to wash the dishes because she's cooking and you don't even know how to turn on an oven. Let them know that you are there to work and you expect the same from them.

The second thing is to not say anything negative. Correcting is ok, but when someone is branded the idiot or brat at work, why should they honestly do anything other than what is expected? In a sense, the person is now being paid to be incompetent after that happens. My thing is to just keep things civil while not being afraid to say "great job." Go out of your way to find one good thing. It may sound mushy, but it's the honest truth. Two managers I have worked under recently would actually say something good to me and my co-workers if we did something worth it. My new one says nothing unless I screw up, so right now I'm at the point where I will take a chance on trying something out whether it drives her crazy or it works because I'm just not going to stand around around all day.

So to sum it up, let them see you work and keep negative stuff to yourself unless it is to correct a problem. But if all else fails, get them out of there! It's not your problem if they don't want to work and maybe them sitting in the dark because they're lights are turned off will adjust their attitude.

Rogue

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
communicator said:
Plaque Wording Appreciation
You know when they have studied employees to determine what drives job satisfaction, money is never at the top of the list. Most of the time people list things such as appreciation, fulfillment and recognition as reasons why they love their job. Have you tried other ways of showing employees like this some appreciation? A plaque wording appreciation, like “recognition of excellence” or “employee of the month” are both great options. This is just one way you can sometimes transform a complaining employee into a content one, of course, there are a few people in the world that no “plaque wording appreciation” is going to help! There are those who simply love being miserable and sharing the wealth!!
In order for that approach to work, the appreciation and recognition must seem to be genuine and authentic. The employee must not feel their labors are being exploited, through excessive hours, work load, and inadequate pay. A little piece of paper awarding a "recognition of excellence" in a toxic environment of distrust for management will be viewed cynically as a ridiculous insult and manipulation. The point is employees must already feel rewarded and valuable. A disgruntled employee will not be inspired.

AAAgent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i'm actually in a similar type of relationship except situation with my boss didn't go sour. My boss and I are cool. We play in the same basketball league/team which he invited me to, and we have the same of group co-worker/friends. I respect him at the same time i don't let our friendships get too close. He also never shows favourtism during work (atleast not imo).

When i managed my club, i had a bartender i hooked up with but work was strictly work. My dad was that way and he instilled it in me. Work is work, pleasure is pleasure. He never brought work home with him either. Sometimes you just gotta be mean.

If you're the boss, if you are telling someone to do something, they should do it. every position requires adaptibility, especially during these times and you should tell you EMPLOYEE that. You should tell your FRIEND that you understand how she feels because you feel the same way but you can't tolerate you employee's bad performance because it reflects bad leadership.

You need to show appreciation for you're employee's as well as lay down the iron fist. People need to be appreciated and will accept a lot of crap knowing that they actually mean/are worth something.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have found in my years running businesses, that people actually like to be pushed. People like to feel like they are doing something important. I am a pusher, but everyone who has ever worked for me, always likes working for me. I bring the best out of people, my goal with everyone I hire, is to make them as productive as they can possibly be, regardless of what or how mundane their job is. Also, I always pay people as much as I can. That's a principle I picked up out of the laws of success book. You pay people the most you can, and keep your prices as low as you can, you will never hurt for business.

While I am young, and especially when I was younger, women at work flirted with me a lot, no go. I did it one time, never again. I don't care how hot she is. She starts to think work isn't work anymore because she is getting the BB pipe now and doesn't understand what I do outside of work, has no effect on what goes on inside of it.

Most importantly, you have to earn the respect of your employees, by working your ass off. I will be damned, if I ever have an employee that goes home / to his wife/to her husband and says "that lazy SOB I can do his job". Never demand something out of something you are not willing to do yourself. If I ask you to have a project done on a Saturday I'm not going to be gone on the weekend while you are working.

I expect people to work. Don't make the mistake of letting me see talent in
I have a temper, but I am very fair and encouraging. I ex someone lol.

Drdeee

Banned
Reaction score
Well for me the reason is clear, people not necessarily unhappy with work or more work, but rather societal status or the hierarchy position they take in a group. Other workers bust balls based on how much alpha or beta you are, how much masculine or feminine you are, how good you look, etc.. It's done automatically, and most don't see it, after all how many are familiar with psychology or PUA.

At some point you stop giving a damn about the work so much, as your opinions are not listened and not preferred, and because idiots ride you.

As they say don't work too hard.

This said, it is vicious cycle that workers themselves choose to undergo. Don't like the work, quit. As scary as it seems, it's a right thing to do. But most of us, me included, choose to stay, because the pay is good, or because pay elsewhere will be crappy: it's the fear of unknown. Of course balls will be busted everywhere on any work, unless societal value is not changed. It's not the smartest or the most hardworking that is chosen, it's the better player.

What really works in my case is this threat. Especially the "ask not why, ask how" lesson.

A good leader is what really works. Good leader is an alpha. How often you see b[tches occupying top levels? This said alpha is born and raised, how often you see those b[tches taking leadership polishing curses? Healthy hierarchy starts with a healthy leader

macallik

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nothing will make the employees happy other than paying them the money they feel they are entitled to. I have quit a job before because the money was not right. I am all for the Benjamin Franklin's 'hard work ethic' way of living but it is also about entitlement and compensation for my work. If I feel exploited and indifference from the company regarding my financial situation (low wages) and/or my personal time (forcing extra hours down my throat) why would I not naturally reflect those feelings of indifference back towards the company?

The amount of $$$ you are paid is the only real evidence of how you are valued in a company. Sure, it never hurts to hear a compliment from the boss but at the end of the day, compliments don't pay the bills. Complaining that workers don't pick up EXTRA shifts means that the company has obviously not made it worth their time.