Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Managing/Leading

Murk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
TLDR;I’m going to be leading a team and building a business - never done it need tips/books to read. I’m more of a rogue loose canon, a joker and liability who is late a lot, not a leader, although I can change that.

Hello gents,

I find myself in a position to lead a practice within my field. I’ve basically harvested information, contacts, clients and basically built a network in a niche technology. I left my job 4 weeks ago and got a new one.

1.5 weeks in, I’m approached by a firm I was already interested in before but had no hiring capability to bring me in. They have lost their 2 senior people with knowledge in the technology, have 2 newbies with no clue how to build out the business.

Cut a long story short over a long interview process I’ve been offer a team/practice lead role. It’s a massive step up, responsibility, a challenge, pressure, basically everything I need in my life right now because I’m jaded and was thinking about long term plans anyway. I’ve never lead a team, I’m 30, but a young 30, in mind body and spirit.

I know there now needs a change of mentality, I must be the first in and last out, never late, no more than 3 beers with them, no more cocaine with or around work people, no more stories of which girl I banged last night or how drama filled and chaotic my life is. I basically need to inspire and allow people to look up to me and set the standard/president.

I’ve already told them I will lead by example and upskill them that way rather than officially “training” like classroom/board work because that’s not me and I don’t have training materials or methodology for that (just yet anyway).

Everyone that knows me is like, wow, wtf, they know me as highly intelligent and capable, great at my job, but a bit of a liability with craziness (drinking/ drugs/ outspoken/ rebellious/ yolo mentality). However I’ve already committed myself this year since turning 30 to sort myself out which I have done. I’ve been boring for a month, I’ve tidied and organised my bedroom and house, I’ve been sleeping early, no drugs, only a couple of beers or glass of wine and never been drunk drunk.

I feel ready to rise to the challenge and become who I am destined to be: I need some pointers!

I have management 101 and 1 minute manager to read, they were recommended from my friends last night in the pub. They said I can’t fvck anyone at work any more, first in last out never late, don’t be friend with anyone, keep them at arms length. Don’t let them lose respect for me by doing coke with them or getting smashed on booze after work.

Any books/tips? Thanks

Last edited:

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, it seems you could take a big step forward by not being an idiot. I.e. stop doing coke with co-workers and quit talking to them about your reckless social life. Keep yourself sharp and get to work on time.

Do those things, and we can start talking about being a manager. Being a leader is a mindset.

Murk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, it seems you could take a big step forward by not being an idiot. I.e. stop doing coke with co-workers and quit talking to them about your reckless social life. Keep yourself sharp and get to work on time.

Do those things, and we can start talking about being a manager. Being a leader is a mindset.
Considering I’ve already listed the above as being dropped out and not going to happen, your advice is basically echoing what I stated.

I’ll have to take that to mean I’m on the right track. I start next Monday, it’s happening whether you agree or not.

Will I have to be immaculate? I don’t really like to iron my shirts if I have a suit jacket on and my dryer gets most of the creases out my shirts. Maybe I just dry clean everything now. I need new shirts and shoes.

marmel75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There are a few things to know.

First understand that it is your role to lead the team, not do the work for them. This is where a lot of people end up failing. They feel they are better and more qualified to do the work than their team members are. You may be right, but you weren't hired to do the work for them, you were hired to get those members to your level, or as close to your level as they can be. That can't happen if they are not given the opportunity to do it themselves and make mistakes with you ther to guide them and coach them and help them improve.

People who try and do all the work themselves may succeed for a while but over time it leads to burn out and working a lot of needless hours doing things that you shouldn't have to be doing because your team doesnt know how to do them because you never bothered to train them how to do it. Don't be this person.

Secondly, people will usually give you what is expected of them. If you dont expect much, you won't get much. If you expect a lot you will usually get a lot, but then it becomes tricky to know when to push and when to let off the gas a little. Each person is different and what works for one person may not work for another. Learn what motivates each person and what buttons you can press to get the most out of them.

One of my favorite books of all time that has practical applications to almost everything in life is "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie. A treasure trove of knowledge and a book everyone should read at least once. It's extremely aplicable not just to business, but in every aspect of your life in interpersonal interactions(including women). I highly recommend reading it...and if you have already read it I highly recommend reading it again...ive probbaly read it 15 times and always seem to pick up something new i missed the other times I read it...

Murk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for that!

Yeah I have a copy of how to win friends it was my mums, I should prob dig it out and give it a read