Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

"Man Vs Nature." Something Noticed About Diet.

A-Unit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So my brother introduced me to Man vs. Nature on father's day...and it brought up this post, and a few other bits of info behind it. For those that can't or haven't seen it, they drop this survival expert in different parts of the wild world and he shows people how to survive the grueling circumstances. It's a bit far-fetched...he has a camera man, he changed his clothes, he carries flint and a knife. Were you or I lost, we'd have no knife, no flint, and 1 pair of clothes. They do make relevant comments about how people have fallen into various similar situations, and had they known this they would have survived so IT IS COOL.

In the episode I watched, they dropped him in the everglades where he had to battle the high, sharp grasses, alligators, snakes, bogs, sink holes, bugs, lack of clean water, and much, much more. While traveling through the everglades, his ONLY source of nourishment was eating various meats/fat/protein found, i.e. frogs, turtles, fish if he could catch them. He went for fats and protein, and wouldn't excessively consume anything because it would slow his survival abilities down and make him want to sleep. Moreover, when he DID encounter 1 random fruit tree, he didn't down the whole tree, rather he used it as a garnish and ate it with the meat.

This ties into a recent post on the Anabolic diet. I have since bought the book, but was slow to slide over to going low carb for 12 days, then trying to be very diet intense. Normally I just stay active, watch what I eat, and make sure I emphasize high protein. But after watching the show and reading the book, I'm convinced it is the right path to go. I'm embarking on the new nutritional way in the coming days; I have only to list out my supplements and food stores. I am excited, since it will simplify what carbs I need. Over at
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=658379&pageNo=7 they have a lengthy thread on it, if anyone needs more indepth material. Truth be told, its been out awhile, its NOT atkins, and the book is a helpful guideline, so I'd find it. This isn't the only book talking about high fat/high protein, but it does take credit for being the first to say it this way. Moreover, it explains WHY in detail more than just "you lose fat and get big." To me, there's no point in a diet if you gain a body, and sacrifice your internal health.

Looking back on how early man would have eaten, they likely didn't[/] consume much in the way of carbs. First, after watching MAN VS NATURE, it wouldn't have been satisfying enough to keep MAN energized to do what he needed to do. When you compare a burger, some fish, pork, deer, cow, or any meat, to an apple, which would give you the energy and vitamins necessary to keep operating at high a level?

Second, how was early man TO KNOW what plants and fruits were ok to eat and which weren't? Breads and grains weren't readily AVAILABLE like meats, animals and fish were. Moreover, meats and animals and fish pack MUCH more nutrients and vitamins in 1 serving than plants do. Plants are also dependent on fats to digest certain vitamins, so even if a plant/fruit had A, D, E, K, it wouldn't be possible for them to be the ONLY viable source of vitamins without meats.

I realize our meats today are a bit less healthy than early meats, but so are the same plants/fruits just as unhealthy as our meats. Current plants and fruits see quite a bit of genetic modification as well as high levels of pesticides, all of which are as bad as anything done to the meats we ingest. You can go the free-range route, but that will likely be double what the cost of a basic supermarket retails them for.

The transition to breads/fruits/plants/carbs likely came bc 1) They last longer on shelves in homes. 2) Commerce makes big bucks off MAKING products, but how many varieties of meat/fish can you have without adding tons of sauces? Very rarely are business interests in alignment with those of people/humanity. 3) Storage. Sailors crossing the highseas couldn't keep meats for very long without them going bad. Whereas grains could be kept a long time. They could fish on the highseas, but that would slow things down. It's only when a people are static can foods other than carbs be consumed.

I'm going to do the diet, and record my own results. If you hit that link, and get the book, you can pretty much dial right into it perfectly. Also the link has over 250 pages or replies, comments, and advice, so there's a lot to filter through.

Good luck,

A-Unit

Falcon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
ah, Man vs. Wild... I've caught a couple episodes of it earlier. I'm wondering what happened to Survivorman? I liked that show too, and it seemed to be more realistic.

As for the diet thing, it is tough for us to compare with eating/harvesting habits of the past. Fruit back then had so much more nutrition due to the soil not being so depleted.

Actually the show Survivorman, which was also shown on the Discovery channel, went more in depth on finding edible things in the wild. A little off topic, but just wanted to point that out.

Good Luck, tell us how it goes.

Teflon_Mcgee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Deus ex Pianoforte said:
Oh c'mon, now. Yes, if you ripped somebody out of their bathtub and dropped them in the Everglades they wouldn't have any of that, but he's going from the perspective of a lost hiker/backpacker. Because of this show, I'm never going anywhere exotic without a knife and flint. :p

Let me know how the Man vs. Wild diet goes, though. Sounds interesting.

Most of the time he starts fires with no flint. I've seen him do it every conceivable way.

But at the very least you shuld always carry atleast a small (good quality) knife and one or two ways to make fire.

donjuanjovi

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Deus ex Pianoforte said:
Man, Bear Grylls makes Les Stroud look like a pansy imo. You can definitely tell who's been in tougher situations. They both did the "stranded in the ocean" episode, and Survivorman ended with the dude tossing a note in a bottle into the ocean from some random tiny island! Bear on the other hand, actually built his raft from SCRATCH, sailed out Castaway style, and got a boat's attention using only his knife and fingers.
Bear brings a camera crew. That just screams "I'm a pvssy". Les is the real man, he goes it alone.

Potbelly

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
what? how the FVCK does he get his thing filmed if he doesn't bring a camera crew? dumbass jovi. you call this former SAS guy a pvssy. he scaled everest. damn you're probably a ****in virgin with nickel sized balls u dumb b1tch faggot

donjuanjovi

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Potbelly said:
what? how the FVCK does he get his thing filmed if he doesn't bring a camera crew? dumbass jovi. you call this former SAS guy a pvssy. he scaled everest. damn you're probably a ****in virgin with nickel sized balls u dumb b1tch faggot
Wow, how do you know me so well?

In answer to your question. He carries his own camera gear and sets up all his own shots.

Potbelly

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
donjuanjovi said:
Wow, how do you know me so well?

In answer to your question. He carries his own camera gear and sets up all his own shots.
yes because bringing a ****ing camera is SOOO realistic eh? having a film crew is obviously the best and will make for a better show.

Serialized3

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Deus ex Pianoforte said:
Because of this show, I'm never going anywhere exotic without a knife and flint.
Hah, you're a caveman. It's much easier to carry a couple lighters or books of matches than gamble with a flint.

Fats and proteins are the best survival foods, IMO. I don't ever go camping without a jar of peanut butter mixed with some honey for carbos. You can live decently for about a week off just one jar of peanut butter.

donjuanjovi

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Potbelly said:
yes because bringing a ****ing camera is SOOO realistic eh? having a film crew is obviously the best and will make for a better show.
Well I'm sure Les would love to do it without the camera, but I would imagine it would be difficult for him to make a television show without any video footage. Bear's a bada$$ no doubt. But being alone is a huge mental aspect of surviving. It would be a lot easier being stuck out in the wilderness for seven days if you had somebody to talk to. I think Bear is much tougher than Les, but Les's show 'survivorman' is more realistic.

Good luck A-Unit, let us know how it goes. I would try it, but I love my carbs too much.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A-Unit, I'm sorry the point of your thread was almost completely ignored with pointless male posturing and turning this into "the matrix sucks" "nuh uh, it's awesome and sooo deep!"

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A-Unit said:
I'm going to do the diet, and record my own results. If you hit that link, and get the book, you can pretty much dial right into it perfectly. Also the link has over 250 pages or replies, comments, and advice, so there's a lot to filter through.
A-Unit.

Good that you discovered something new to experience with. I'm a fairly believer that the Anabolic Diet is the way to eat for a Man. If you ask me, sugars are for women, but that's another story.

The Anabolic Diet is a primitive form of diet, it's back to the roots. From time to time, I do the switch to a carb diet, when I go on holiday for example. It sucks. Low energy, sleepy, filled stomach, uncontrolled insuline,...

If you need advice, feel free to pm me, I'm a veteran.

For the others, if you don't want to buy the book, read the thread on T-nation or check these posts:

10 Reason To Get on The Anabolic Diet

Why the Anabolic Diet works & How

How To Get Started On The Anabolic Diet

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
wayword said:
There's nothing wrong with unprocessed carbs like you find in Nature.

The problem is MODERN PROCESSED CARBS that cause insulin spikes and cavities.
Unprocessed carbs influence insulin too.

Carbs agriculture started 10 000 years ago. Men existed long before that. How natural are carbs compared to fats & meat is the question. Human body hasn't been able to adapt to the carbs when looking at the amount of obese people.

wayword

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
stronglifts said:

Carbs agriculture started 10 000 years ago. Men existed long before that. How natural are carbs compared to fats & meat is the question. Human body hasn't been able to adapt to the carbs when looking at the amount of obese people.
Barely. Most of those have very low GIs.

Look, racehorses and champion bulls are musclebound and low-fat...yet are vegetarian. And there's also vegetarian bodybuilders who obviously are not fat. Not to mention, many obese people today eat lots of meat and fat (McD's, anyone?). So, there go your theories that natural carbs = obesity and meat and fat = lean.

You want to go Atkin's? Knock yourself out. Just realize that he had arterial and heart problems in his last years...
Atkins had suffered a heart attack, congestive heart failure, and hypertension, before his death.

the 6-foot-tall Atkins

Thanks to his death certificate (as displayed at The Smoking Gun), we know Atkins was 258 pounds at the time of his death. Yet according to a copy of his medical records, as turned over to USA Today by the diet guru's widow, Atkins weighed 195 pounds upon admission to the hospital 8 April 2003

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
stronglifts said:
correct, although not in as much of a way. consider the insulin rise from a couple of apples vs a serving of cereal.. and you'd have to eat a HELL of a lot of strawberries to get a big insulin rush. lol. but in general I do agree with you.

A-Unit, you've yet to post anything even mildly bad.. keep it up mate!

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
wayword said:
Not to mention, many obese people today eat lots of meat and fat (McD's, anyone?). So, there go your theories that natural carbs = obesity and meat and fat = lean.
the thing is that McD's is loaded with sugar, and you get ****ty carbs from the bun/bread/sauces. the actual meat and fat isn't that bad. it's the combination of simple carbs + saturated fats in large amounts which lays down adipose..

wayword

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Warboss Alex said:
the thing is that McD's is loaded with sugar, and you get ****ty carbs from the bun/bread/sauces. the actual meat and fat isn't that bad. it's the combination of simple carbs + saturated fats in large amounts which lays down adipose..
Yup, if you eat simple carbs with fat (like say french fries)...that actually slows down the absorption and reduces the insulin spike. However, all that saturated fat and high calories alone are still going to make you fatter - insulin spike or not.

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
wayword said:
So, there go your theories that natural carbs = obesity and meat and fat = lean.
It's not my theory, it's Di Pasquale's. Check the book this thread is about if you want the facts.

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
wayword said:
Yup, if you eat simple carbs with fat (like say french fries)...that actually slows down the absorption and reduces the insulin spike. However, all that saturated fat and high calories alone are still going to make you fatter - insulin spike or not.
It's a caloric excess that makes you obese.