Make Yourself Laugh First

DJDamage

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Have you ever noticed how hard some guys try to make a woman laugh with lame jokes and when she doesn't he ends up putting his tail between his legs and bails out?

Trying to be a stand up comedian will not work on women all the time because essentially you are giving her an act. This is a form of supplicating just like you do when you buy her dinner on a first date, you are showing her that you are trying too hard to please her.

I see those guys all the time, they have this nervous fake smile when they make jokes and are waiting for the woman to laugh first before they do. If the jokes are not funny they muzzle up and change the subject or take off.

Why don't some guys try to make themselves laugh first? Do you really need an audience in order for you to be funny? I am sure everyone of us on occasions laugh or smile when we are alone because at that moment we saw or rememberd something funny.

Next time you talk to a woman don't try to make her laugh, try to make yourself laugh first and not the other way around. Its more likely that if you find it funny and your sense humor was genuine then the chick will find it funny as well. In the end of it, if the woman is not digging your sense of humor, at least you can leave her with a smile on your face.

Disconnect

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think this is a great idea. Lauging yourself would put her at ease. But it would also make you more relaxed. Someone mentioned that lauging/smiling releases positive hormones. Not sure about that, but it feels good nonetheless. Every time I'm down, I just smile or force a laugh. Sure, it looks/sounds fake at first, but then you really begin to feel better.

Caveman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Reminds me of Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park.. Brilliant! No one in the movie laughs at his remarks but they crack me up...

DJDamage

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Reminds me of Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park.. Brilliant! No one in the movie laughs at his remarks but they crack me up...
That is actually not a bad example, however Jeff Goldblum ended up being very witty and sarcastic and he came out funny. We are laughing with him and not at him.

Jim Carrey as Loyed Christmass in Dumb and Dumber is the classic bad joke, nervous act and dumb sense of humor.

Loyed: That's a lovely accent you got there, where are you from?

HB: I am from Austria

Loyed: Austria Eh??!! (he has the fake "I am really intrested look" and then he tries to sound funny by using an AUSTRALIAN accent - not only its not funny its the wrong accent but he is too dumb to know it ) Well lets put a Shrimp on the Barbie!!!

HB: Lets not!

Then Jim Carry face turns sad and bitter and he sticks his head back into the limo car window and drives away.

Duke

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
LOL

That was a classic scene.

Good post, DJDamage. Also, take it as a sign of interest when the girl is laughing at your weaker jokes.

librito

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
this is my first post and I consider myself to be an AFC. Have you noticed that in almost all the comic shows on TV they have in the background a recorded audience laugh even though the joke was not funny or not funny at all? it is humane nature to laugh if someone else is already laghing becuase just by seing or hearing someone else in a good mood makes you fell better.
this is called group thinking. think about the following situations.
you are coming in to a building and suddently the elevator door opens and everybody who is inside the elevator starts to run at all speed and look terrified. you have no idea whats going on and have not had a chance to see but your first instint will be to follow the people who are running because they are running from something harmful.

I believe that the first one who has to laugh in a group is the joker because just like in a panic situation the feeling will spread around and if you are telling jokes you should be the first one to laugh.
in my lifetime there has being very few times when I've seing someone funny making jokes with a serious face an I've seing those only on comedy shows.

remember this,,, ""your feeling will be spread around""

Styles

Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree and I think I'll try this soon

For me it's much easier to make myself laugh and have her to feed into it,, rather than be the equivalent of a little dog doing tricks to please my master!

Originally posted by DJDamage
I see those guys all the time, they have this nervous fake smile when they make jokes and are waiting for the woman to laugh first before they do. If the jokes are not funny they muzzle up and change the subject or take off.

That in itself is funny just to watch.

Good post