Make your life as positive as you can

Disconnect

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
While this may be obvious to some, it dawned on me just a short while ago.
Furthermore, this may be more applicable to some than others, but hope it helps somebody.

Until recently, even on my journey to self-improvement, my life was still centered around a few negative aspects. My group of buddies were goths. I listened to Marilyn Manson when I was sad - the music made me angry at the world. My drawn art consisted of people with blacked out faces and white night gowns, gravestones, and the reaper. I did extensive research on school shootings because I was jealous of all the popular preps in my school, and hearing about other people's pain made mine easier, or so I thought.

These things don't help. In the long run, you are only digging your own grave.

So one day, I said 'Screw It', and tossed all of my art, all MM and Children of Bodom albums, stopped visiting all negative sites. Funny how it changed me. When I became sad, instead of turning it into anger by drawing or listening to hate music, I thought about positive things - all the things I am fortunate to have.

I looked at an inspiration book in the bookstore once. I forget the title, but the author told the story of his life, and his accident that left him paralyzed from the waist down. Confined to the wheelchair, he did not see a point in living at first, since his entire life was ruined. But life went on. He adapted, and found other things he never noticed about his life, things he was lucky to have. Found them, and treasured them. His life went on.

I realize how many people in this world are worse off than me, and getting mad over something as trivial as popularity suddenly lost its 'appeal'. So i thought happy when I was sad. The time periods between my fits of depression became wider, and eventually they stopped.

Today, as I walk through the cafeteria in my high school, I don't talk to the goths any more. I don't see what they are pissed off about anymore, even though I was one of them. Don't see, or don't want to remember, as once, it was part of my past. All I know is that we all constantly make a choice, and mine and theirs have nothing in common. The myth that people can affect our mood is just that: a myth. Only you can decide how you want your day to go :). I decided that when a superior individual crosses my path, instead of becoming bitter and jealous, I would take his way as a lesson, and use it to improve myself to become just as good, or better.

At one point, every person welcomes something into his life something that would bring him down. Goths chose to be depressed (the chem imbalance in the brain is a different issue). I chose another route. What do you have in your life that makes your day a little dimmer? Can you eliminate it? Tell us about it, and then tell us how you could solve this problem. :)

Jizamurai

Don Juan
Reaction score
word. Try listnening to some uplifting trance music to lighten up your mood. (Paul Van Dyk, Tiesto, that kind of stuff always puts me in great mood)

... i do know some goths that are actually pretty fun to be around and don't get others down.

lbfan1638

Don Juan
Reaction score
our stories are very similar...being positive has made all the difference

disciple

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with you.

I was in a potentially fatal car accident last year and was lucky to escape with minor injuries.

That changed my perspective on alot of things and I feel where you are coming from.

Live life to the fullest and enjoy the sweet moments because they are what make life a joy.

Sometimes just changing crowd you hang around with helps alot too because your friends are a reflection of you.

If you want to be positive then hang with people who want to be positive like you do.

Disconnect

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, today I was called 'Mr. Happy as always' :). Other people notice the difference, if not instantly.

Reaction score
Dude f*ck that. I listen to some of the most depressing music ever made and I'm still a pretty happy and outgoing person. You just channel the music in the wrong way.

I listen to Down and all they talk about is depression, cold turkey and ruined lives and I love it!! But out in the real world I'm always cracking jokes and telling beautiful women to stop breathing. But I must admit that Marylin Manson blows.

heyhey

Reaction score
Its not so much about listening to whatever music, its about doing what makes you happy and not doing what puts you down. But disconnect, I still think you should still talk to your "goth" friends, they could learn something from you.

Disconnect

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanx for the comments, guys! Talk to my goth friends? Oh, I've tried. It just feels like trying to teach a blind man colors. They (my goth friends), seem to lack any motivation whatsoever to do good in life. Failing classes, smoking weed... The happier you are, the less they like you, it seems. We just have nothing in common anymore.

Btw, I'm not dissing weed. I know some leaders at my school who do it regularly. And they still go to the best universities. I don't smoke weed because I'm building a body, and substances would just inhibit my progress.

Dimebag, you're right. It does depend on how you channel your music, but I channelled it the wrong way, and couldn't do otherwise, until I stopped listening to it. Rammstein's good for me now, since I have no idea what they're saying :p

Kidd

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I disagree with you on music my friend.

I listen to thrash/death metal/grindcore, which talks about some of the sickest **** imaginable, yet I am outgoing and cheerful.

Luscious

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Being positive is very, very important.

The past little while in my life, I got very negative at the smallest things and I'd let it get to me very easily, and I noticed that really affected my pulling power with the women.

I'm a big proponent of the theory that you must have your own life put together before you try to expand it by dealing with women.