Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Lying on your resume

B

BlueAlpha1

Has anyone ever landed a job or promotion by using fake references, exaggerating about tenure, or listing defunct or totally made up companies on your resume? Did you ever get caught doing this or did you get away with it?

The reason I ask is I'm having a lot of trouble breaking into a new industry. All my relevant experience the last 5 years has been in the wireless sales industry, which I hate and am trying to break out of.

I have a bachelor's degree and many job postings indicate that a BA is a way to meet the requirements absent 2-3 years experience , but it's been hard getting the interviews and I've been rejected a few times.

Not to mention Indeed tells you how many people have applied to a job and it's not uncommon to see 400+ applications for barely median income jobs. It seems mathematically impossible to beat out a few dozen candidates with all the experience they want, which also explains why I can get a call back for a wireless sales application in a day and give the interview in my sleep.

How do you get that first job if nobody will give you a chance other than fabricating your resume???

Tenacity

Banned
Reaction score
Has anyone ever landed a job or promotion by using fake references, exaggerating about tenure, or listing defunct or totally made up companies on your resume? Did you ever get caught doing this or did you get away with it?

The reason I ask is I'm having a lot of trouble breaking into a new industry. All my relevant experience the last 5 years has been in the wireless sales industry, which I hate and am trying to break out of.

I have a bachelor's degree and many job postings indicate that a BA is a way to meet the requirements absent 2-3 years experience , but it's been hard getting the interviews and I've been rejected a few times.

Not to mention Indeed tells you how many people have applied to a job and it's not uncommon to see 400+ applications for barely median income jobs. It seems mathematically impossible to beat out a few dozen candidates with all the experience they want, which also explains why I can get a call back for a wireless sales application in a day and give the interview in my sleep.

How do you get that first job if nobody will give you a chance other than fabricating your resume???
Tell me specifically what types of positions you are looking for? You don't want to LIE (in total) on the resume, but you do want to have a tailored approach not just in the resume's structure but in how you go about seeking the positions.

The job boards are DEAD for the most part, but they are good to use just to have your resume exposed. But you can't just rely on those job boards, you need a direct approach where you reach out to the prospective employers directly (almost like doing a sales call).

B

BlueAlpha1

Here's a thread about this topic:
http://www.sosuave.net/forum/thread...experienced-workers-only.235756/#post-2358086

Most resumes contain lies. The worse the job market gets, the more people lie on their resumes. Pick up any random resume, and between about a third and half of the stuff on it will be a lie.
And it seems difficult for employers to get to the bottom of the lies. Besides a background and drug test, there is no way for them to verify that you did or did not work for a now defunct business.

When I was doing a round of interviews in hospitality, I fabricated volunteer experience at a youth hostel in Spain. It is also hard for them to identify companies that you leave off your resume because you got fired or quit quickly.

And you can always fabricate the amount of time at your current employer simply by asking them "do not contact" as a courtesy by submitting your resume in confidence.

B

BlueAlpha1

Tell me specifically what types of positions you are looking for? You don't want to LIE (in total) on the resume, but you do want to have a tailored approach not just in the resume's structure but in how you go about seeking the positions.

The job boards are DEAD for the most part, but they are good to use just to have your resume exposed. But you can't just rely on those job boards, you need a direct approach where you reach out to the prospective employers directly (almost like doing a sales call).
Bro, I'm so damn sick of wireless. You know my story, but here's a bit more detail.

2012 - I started out with US Cellular. I loved that company, the culture and atmosphere, and my coworkers. And it was my first "real job" out of college. I made $37,000 that year as a part-time, 29 hr per week employee.

2013 - Moved to NYC and got a job with AT&T. Went to Dallas for 3 weeks for training, all expenses paid including airfare, meals, and lodging at their corporate office. The job proved to be very challenging and tough at times, but it was union and I made $45,100 that year. I was putting away $1,200 a month. My location changed abruptly without my consent, then my dad died, and I left on negative terms. Bridge was burned and I regret it.

2016 - I got a job with Verizon at a call center. It was pure hell and I lasted 90 days. The company is ruthless, unethical, and greedy. They refused to unionize, and after a week with the company you could see why, and paid significantly less than AT&T. It dawned on me that in between the time I left AT&T and the time I started with Verizon I had burnt out in this industry. I am tired of the product and most lucrative days are behind me.

2017 - I left Verizon on day 90, but couldn't afford not to work so I now work for a sister company of Sprint. It pays OK (a bit better than Verizon) but the manager is incompetent and inept. They are also doing all kinds of shady things like unpaid conference calls, no 15 minute breaks, and not allowing you to sit under any circumstances even with no customers. Totally unneccesary rules and corner cutting that lowers morale. I won't last long here.

SO, @Tenacity ...what am I looking for? Well, you know I love to travel. I also like to help people with their travel plans. Now I know the travel agent is a dying breed, but it's not completely obsolete.

Travel agents work on 3 universal systems calls GDS, Apollo, and Sabre. I have little to no experience on any other than watching a few videos online. Every travel agency job posting wants 2-5 years experience on these systems for entry level wages. Totally absurd if you ask me. Some positions don't require it as long as you've done sales, but they are generally low level call center positions. I checked one out at AAA but wasn't impressed.

I would LOVE to work as a remote travel agent with the freedom to work anywhere with an internet connection and a phone. I wouldn't mind working mostly on commission as I could commit to long weeks if I were passionate about the work. Something like this would be ideal.

https://bootsnall.recruiterbox.com/jobs/fk0hf1t/

I reached out to this company more than once, and they thanked me for my interest but stated they had 350 applicants. In this case I feel like lying on my resume was my only chance.

Though slightly less ideal, I wouldn't mind something like this either.

https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Exeter-I...el-Consultant-ee5a2be97898eea5?q=travel+agent

It's an office job, but not a call center. You work with a tight knit group and have a lot of flexibility as long as you're closing deals. These guys specifically ask you not to call them. Currently 177 applicants...and I have no experience.

Any advice is appreciated as always.

Tenacity

Banned
Reaction score
Bro, I'm so damn sick of wireless. You know my story, but here's a bit more detail.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I see nothing but Sales, is that pretty much right?

So right now you want to be a Travel Agent and sell products/services in relation to that industry? But they want XYZ amount of experience? Are there all commission options available?

As you know my career is Professional Sales as well, this is how it usually goes:

- The First 3 to 7 Years: You have to prove yourself. So the only jobs available will either be 100% commission or the brutal inside sales jobs that you have been rotating between. You have to take "chicken shyt" and turn it into "chicken salad", by taking the shyt position(s) and turning them into some sort of ALL STAR sales performance. This builds a resume, builds sales ability, and gives you professional references. On the side of this, complete a bachelor's (and if you could, a master's) in something related to business, marketing, management, or even finance.

- The Second Phase: After you have turned chicken shyt into chicken salad, now you have an ALL STAR sales resume with at least a bachelor's degree, so you can go out and find what I call "premium sales positions" that pay you a good base pay ($40k - $60k a year at least) with benefits and perks like travel, company car or company car allowance, corporate travel card, etc., and a commission plan based on your sales volume. You want to do VERY WELL here for at least 2 - 3 years.

- The Third Phase And Beyond: You basically continue to rotate into other types of "premium sales positions" and seek Sales Management Roles as well, which also fall under what I call the "premium sales position".

But you have to pass the First Phase first buddy. You have to turn chicken shyt into chicken salad, build an ALL STAR sales resume, then go out and solicit the "premium sales positions".

Also remember to try to stay in a low or average cost of living area OR....if you must move somewhere with a higher cost of living, MAKE SURE the monies paid out makes up for the loss of purchasing power. So if you have to live in high a.ss NYC, make sure you are making at least $175,000 a year as that's about equivalent to making about $100,000 a year in Sterling Heights, MI due to the loss of purchasing power.

B

BlueAlpha1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I see nothing but Sales, is that pretty much right?
Nothing but sales since my first "real job" in 2012. I was 22 at that time. Before that it had been just low level jobs in high school.

So right now you want to be a Travel Agent and sell products/services in relation to that industry? But they want XYZ amount of experience? Are there all commission options available?
I really balk at ALL commission because my bills are in excess of $1,500 a month. Now, sacrificing a normal salary is a big leap, but I'm not saying I'd NEVER do it. However, the only circumstances under which I could see myself forfeiting a regular salary is if the working conditions were ideal (like that job with Bootsnall) - which is to say flexible schedule, little equipment required, and REMOTE (I can work while I travel.) With THAT job, I could sacrifice familiarity, take a risk, and commit to 50 hour weeks because I enjoy doing it.

I could PROBABLY NOT do an all commission job if I were required to be at a call center, or if I were trapped in my own home with a headset and a landline. If I'm working in sh*t conditions, I better at least have a paycheck. (BTW, there is a huge difference between work from home {not ideal} and work remote {ideal})

- The First 3 to 7 Years: You have to prove yourself. So the only jobs available will either be 100% commission or the brutal inside sales jobs that you have been rotating between. You have to take "chicken shyt" and turn it into "chicken salad", by taking the shyt position(s) and turning them into some sort of ALL STAR sales performance. This builds a resume, builds sales ability, and gives you professional references. On the side of this, complete a bachelor's (and if you could, a master's) in something related to business, marketing, management, or even finance.
I already have some of these resume boosters you're talking about. For instance, in September 2014 I closed an outstanding deal - a 19 line tablet account (and it was B2B, not a consumer account). I made $550 on that sale and had a 250% attainment to quota that month because of it.

Also, with Verizon, I won $200 in incentives just during the 90 day probation period. I do advertise these accomplishments on my resume and that's why I could give the wireless interview in my sleep nowadays. But with travel applications it hasn't done the trick. This might be where the lying and exaggerating comes in. I think the problem is the job market is SO bad right now that you have to. There are jobs I've applied to on Indeed that show 1,100 applicants to an entry level position.

I also have a Bachelors Degree in Communications. It's not money (finance, business) but it can sometimes fall under the category of "related field". A lot of employers only demand a Bachelors degree absent experience. Sometimes they don't even clarify a specific kind of B.A., only that you completed one if you don't have the experience.

- The Second Phase: After you have turned chicken shyt into chicken salad, now you have an ALL STAR sales resume with at least a bachelor's degree, so you can go out and find what I call "premium sales positions" that pay you a good base pay ($40k - $60k a year at least) with benefits and perks like travel, company car or company car allowance, corporate travel card, etc., and a commission plan based on your sales volume. You want to do VERY WELL here for at least 2 - 3 years.
I feel that I reached this phase at AT&T back in 2013. I flew to Dallas, stayed in an executive furnished apartment for 3 weeks, got a prepaid mail card worth $42 a day, accrued airline miles, the works. I also had a union rep to settle my problems for me, and I made $45k that year in my first year with the company. I really regret burning that bridge and have regressed so drastically professionally since then.

But you have to pass the First Phase first buddy.
After reading this, you'd probably agree I already have and might have even broached the 2nd phase, but lost ground since then. So knowing what you know about my experience in phases 1 and 2, what would you do to my resume and what are my next steps?

Also remember to try to stay in a low or average cost of living area OR....if you must move somewhere with a higher cost of living, MAKE SURE the monies paid out makes up for the loss of purchasing power. So if you have to live in high a.ss NYC, make sure you are making at least $175,000 a year as that's about equivalent to making about $100,000 a year in Sterling Heights, MI due to the loss of purchasing power.
I live in Tampa, a slightly above average cost of living. I have a very nice 2-BR loft I share with roommate. My half is $809, but that includes rent, utilities, cable, internet, laundry, and a gym. We get a nice value for our payment. Other than that, my bills are minimal - student loan, phone, car insurance, and credit card payment all totaling about $600. There you have it. When you add in miscellaneous costs, the BARE MINIMUM I need to break even at the end of the year is about $31,000 a year, which isn't outrageous money. As you can tell, on that AT&T salary of $45,100 I would be putting away about $10,000 a year after taxes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tenacity

Banned
Reaction score
There you have it. When you add in miscellaneous costs, the BARE MINIMUM I need to break even at the end of the year is about $32,000 a year, which isn't outrageous money. As you can tell, on that AT&T salary of $45,100 I would be putting away about $13,000 a year.
Hmmmm...okay now tell me one more time why is it that you want to get out of Telecommunication sales? Your experience is SALES, but more specifically, it's Telecom sales. Just like my Sales experience is Commercial Finance Sales.

You have a degree in Communications (which is fine for this) and a good amount of years experience in Telecom sales. But you want out of Telecom sales.......what's the reason for that again?

B

BlueAlpha1

Hmmmm...okay now tell me one more time why is it that you want to get out of Telecommunication sales? Your experience is SALES, but more specifically, it's Telecom sales. Just like my Sales experience is Commercial Finance Sales.

You have a degree in Communications (which is fine for this) and a good amount of years experience in Telecom sales. But you want out of Telecom sales.......what's the reason for that again?
It is becoming a MISERABLE industry to work in. Three reasons why:

1. Everybody wants a fvcking handout - So you're hearing from the customer "I've been a loyal customer for 2 years, I should get something for free!" in one ear, and a manager in the other ear telling you it's "unacceptable" that you can't sell an $80 case that's available on Amazon for $12.

2. Very high stress - Very long lines and impatient customers. You are dealing with a product and service the entire population is addicted to. It is not uncommon to walk into a major Verizon/ATT/Sprint corporate store and see 40 people waiting for service with 5 salesmen in the store. Fights break out, people leave in frustration, and by the time they get to you they're ready to unleash hell. And all you want to do is tell this young, narcissistic b*tch raging about her iPhone to STFU with her first world problems, but you can't. This job destroys your soul & faith in humanity.

3. The hell of retail/call center - If you are in retail, you have inconsistent, unpredictable hours, dealing with gossip, and are standing in one place for very long periods of time. If you're in a call center, you are sitting in one place in a dull building with 4 gray walls being micromanaged by an idiot.

Look dude, I know it sounds like I'm just complaining, but trust me I'm not. It wasn't always like this. My very first wireless company, US Cellular, was both customer and employee friendly. I had a great manager, great team and had the time of my life. Then I took an offer from ATT and moved out to NYC to be closer to my dad. ATT was not as consumer friendly, and was more rigorous work, but was very lucrative and a solid job on paper. Unfortunately, as time has gone on, the entire industry has gotten more and more greedy and less consumer friendly. By the time I got to Verizon in 2016 it was brutal. It is becoming harder and harder to sell a messier product whose only goal is the bottom line, AND we're being paid less for it with an always changing commission structure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tenacity

Banned
Reaction score
It is becoming a MISERABLE industry to work in. Three reasons why:

1. Everybody wants a fvcking handout - So you're hearing from the customer "I've been a loyal customer for 2 years, I should get something for free!" in one ear, and a manager in the other ear telling you it's "unacceptable" that you can't sell an $80 case that's available on Amazon for $12.

2. Very high stress - Very long lines and impatient customers. You are dealing with a product and service the entire population is addicted to. It is not uncommon to walk into a major Verizon/ATT/Sprint corporate store and see 40 people waiting for service with 5 salesmen in the store. Fights break out, people leave in frustration, and by the time they get to you they're ready to unleash hell. And all you want to do is tell this young, narcissistic b*tch raging about her iPhone to STFU with her first world problems, but you can't. This job destroys your soul & faith in humanity.

3. The hell of retail/call center - If you are in retail, you have inconsistent, unpredictable hours, dealing with gossip, and are standing in one place for very long periods of time. If you're in a call center, you are sitting in one place in a dull building with 4 gray walls being micromanaged by an idiot.

Look dude, I know it sounds like I'm just complaining, but trust me I'm not. It wasn't always like this. My very first wireless company, US Cellular, was both customer and employee friendly. I had a great manager, great team and had the time of my life. Then I took an offer from ATT and moved out to NYC to be closer to my dad. ATT was not as consumer friendly, and was more rigorous work, but was very lucrative and a solid job on paper. Unfortunately, as time has gone on, the entire industry has gotten more and more greedy and less consumer friendly. By the time I got to Verizon in 2016 it was brutal. It is becoming harder and harder to sell a messier product whose only goal is the bottom line, AND we're being paid less for it with an always changing commission structure.
Okay well, is there another type of telecommunications product line that can be sold? Maybe instead of a B2C retail store environment, maybe selling something to B2B markets? I guess what I'm saying is this. The job market is very competitive right now and I think that specialization is how you win right now.

I believe you have 4 options:

- You could move over into an IT role or some other type of Operational role in Telecom other than a sales role. You know more about that industry than I do, but you can look up other related positions within the industry and try to move into a different "side" of it.

- You can apply for other types of Telecom roles (B2C, B2B, etc.) but try to find better positions with better products, better pay, more growth potential, etc.

- You can look for other types of B2C sales roles in general across a variety of sectors, leveraging the B2C experience you already have

- You can look for B2B sales roles in general across a variety of sectors, leveraging the general sales experience that you have

What I would do is ALL FOUR of these at the same time, until you find something that pops. Look all over the country and state that you are open to move for the right opportunities. Update your LinkedIn and apply to all related jobs there, also on CareerBuilder, Monster, ZipRecruiter, Indeed, and Glassdoor. In addition, get a list of ALL target companies you would work for and EMAIL/COLD CALL them about your experience and any open opportunities or potential ways to CREATE a position.

Also another option is to start your own business doing something. But I didn't list this as one of the alternative options, because I believe you should do this ON THE SIDE to one of the four main options above.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Always tell the truth, you'll never have anything to hide. That's my motto.

I'd rather not get a job than get caught in a lie.

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Someone had mentioned that resumes have roughly 33% truth. That is appalling, but not surprising watching some people I know fabricate their experience. They aren't necessarily outright lies, but spins on the truth to make them sound more impressive than they are. Someone will say they are director of ____ only to find out they directed a two person department, one of which was an intern that made copies.

I am in the same boat as you - why lie about the experience? If they like you, they will talk to you. After that, if you are really into your field and have what it takes, odds are in your favor. And I agree about job boards being not too worthwhile. It seems to be better to network and talk to the right folks to get interviews. Thats how I got my last 3 employment opportunities.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Someone had mentioned that resumes have roughly 33% truth. That is appalling, but not surprising watching some people I know fabricate their experience. They aren't necessarily outright lies, but spins on the truth to make them sound more impressive than they are. Someone will say they are director of ____ only to find out they directed a two person department, one of which was an intern that made copies.

I am in the same boat as you - why lie about the experience? If they like you, they will talk to you. After that, if you are really into your field and have what it takes, odds are in your favor. And I agree about job boards being not too worthwhile. It seems to be better to network and talk to the right folks to get interviews. Thats how I got my last 3 employment opportunities.
Big difference in making yourself look good and outright lying. I know the line can be blurred but it's generally very easy to see what side of the line you are really on.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just can't sit through an interview with a straight face any more. It's all so dumb. The jobs I have, I get because I know the people doing the hiring. I just can't keep from saying what is on my mind.

Drug test? Look, let me save you some money, and I'll just tell you all the drugs I'm on.

W-2? Oh hell no, I don't pay taxes. Cash only.

The reality of most jobs is that it is personality that matters most - both the boss and the employee. It's a surplus labor market. They can hire whoever the hell they want. It might as well be someone who is fun to hang around every day. Even if your resume gets you the job, if personality conflict with the boss is an issue, the job isn't going to last very long.

Tenacity

Banned
Reaction score
I just can't sit through an interview with a straight face any more. It's all so dumb. The jobs I have, I get because I know the people doing the hiring. I just can't keep from saying what is on my mind.

Drug test? Look, let me save you some money, and I'll just tell you all the drugs I'm on.

W-2? Oh hell no, I don't pay taxes. Cash only.

The reality of most jobs is that it is personality that matters most - both the boss and the employee. It's a surplus labor market. They can hire whoever the hell they want. It might as well be someone who is fun to hang around every day. Even if your resume gets you the job, if personality conflict with the boss is an issue, the job isn't going to last very long.
Right, BlueAlpha and guys also read this thread I did on the Job Market. This pretty much SUMS up the current Job Market:

http://www.sosuave.net/forum/threads/the-job-market-is-fake-as-hell.230324/

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm guessing you have above average people skills after being in a people-oriented business for so long. you're still relatively young so no need to panic about anything.

so so why not use what you've got to go around the job market. I would identify where the offices are for the industry you want to break into. Find where these people eat breakfast and go for drinks. And become a regular. Be very patient and get to know them. Go to their industry events. If there s an industry online forum hang out and answer people s questions so u build up knowledge. by the way my friend starts his new job this week very high paying any got off the job boards Melbourne's very competitive market. So don't be totally cynical there are real ones out there.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Agreed. The truth is also the easiest thing to remember.

I have a friend who for years had "bachelor's degree" on his resume even though he was one course short of having his degree conferred, and never finished. He interviewed for a job at some point, got past all the checkpoints (including drug test and references), but the company caught him in the college lie when they called his school. They didn't hire him. And this was in spite of several years' experience in the field that would seem to make the degree moot. It was just the fact that he'd lied, and if he'd told the truth he'd have been hired.

One thing good hiring managers will tell you is they are hiring the person as much as the resume.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well that was dumb. If you're going to lie about having a degree, make up a university. Make a web site for them with an 800 number. Pay someone to answer the phone and lie for you. If you're going to be a criminal, be smart about it.

PrettyBoyAJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If your not lieing your not trying.

I lied on my resume when I was 23 and made 6 figures since. Now I don't need to lie on my resume since I have the 3 years experience now but it's time to up the ante. I made another fake resume in a distinct field a couple weeks ago and currently interviewing for jobs that'll pay 200k plus.

Companies want people that have experience and if you don't have the experience it doesn't matter how hard of a worker you are. I was tired of waiting for "my time" and I just took "my time".

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well that was dumb. If you're going to lie about having a degree, make up a university. Make a web site for them with an 800 number. Pay someone to answer the phone and lie for you. If you're going to be a criminal, be smart about it.
That's a lot of work.