Lowering bodyfat %

FunnyCide

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm been lifting weights for about 18months now but I can't seem to get that six pack cut like I want it. Then I read in Men's health that you need to get your BF down to about 6- 8 % for abs to show through. Any ideas on how to lower BF%? Effective method anyone has actually gone through?

MindOverMatter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
im at 9.5-10.8% bodyfat right now (10.8 being my highest in the morning, and 9.5 being my lowest [fully hyrdrated after a workout]), and my abs show.

first, get a good reading of your bodyfat. then, if it's high, incorrporate high intensity cardio on your offdays.

also make sure to workout your abs (but dont do them every day, treat them like you would forearms/calves), if your bodyfat is low but you dont work out your labs, you will just have a flat stomach.

FunnyCide

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by MindOverMatter
im at 9.5-10.8% bodyfat right now (10.8 being my highest in the morning, and 9.5 being my lowest [fully hyrdrated after a workout]), and my abs show.

first, get a good reading of your bodyfat. then, if it's high, incorrporate high intensity cardio on your offdays.

also make sure to workout your abs (but dont do them every day, treat them like you would forearms/calves), if your bodyfat is low but you dont work out your labs, you will just have a flat stomach.
I definitely do my ab workouts and it really only the lower abs that don't come through on me. My BF is about 11.5%. What is your definition of "high intensity cardio"? Would playing basketball be one?

What about diet? Should I lower my calories intake even if I want to keep my muscle mass?

Thanks in advance

MindOverMatter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
high intensity cardio, the most basic way to explain it is

you do 60 seconds moderate pace to warm up
then

30 seconds jogging
30 seconds sprinting
30 seconds jogging
30 seconds sprinting

and you keep this up for 10-15 mins.

also start doing reverse crunches.

DeathDealer

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The only way to get abs of steel is through lowering your body fat to less than 10% . Average people usually have 15-20%. However you lose that fat is up to you but you must watch what you eat (reducing carbs/fat)

FunnyCide

Don Juan
Reaction score
what's a reverse crunch? I probably already done it but everyone has their own name for certain excercises

Smoothaswetsoap

Don Juan
Reaction score
Most people have 20-25% BF. That is "Average"

It also depends on your genes at what BF% you will see your abs...

How to lower BF%? Add muscle : )

P.S. Also, I thought reverse crunches were when you get on the little "stand", put your arms on the pad like you're chillen on the couch, and lift your legs as high as you can (about 45 degrees), lower them, and lift them back again.

Jay-X

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
20-25% is average?!?! i think averege is somewhere between 12 and 18, not more. i'm not skinny at all, and my bodyfat is under 9%. 25% is rather fat, not average.

T

tj

cardio is what really sucks the big one. Also, cutting carbs. I weighed in at around 210. went on a bodyopus diet and started doing morning cardio and lost muscle out the ying yang.

Now I am going to do High intensity cardio with a jump rope and keep my carbs around 200 maybe 250.

FunnyCide

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jay-X
20-25% is average?!?! i think averege is somewhere between 12 and 18, not more. i'm not skinny at all, and my bodyfat is under 9%. 25% is rather fat, not average.
Well, I think that the average person is fat so I agree it's probably around 20% or slightly higher.

Reverse crunches...done them but I try and lift my upper body at the same time. It makes it a little tougher.

Increase muscle it definitely a goal but I don't want that belly roll so I'm looking at lowering BF.

thanks guys

MindOverMatter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
women have a different bodyfat requirement then males.

for example, in the age group 20-39, the healthy male bodyfat range is between 8-20%, for females it's between 21-33%.

FunnyCide

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by MindOverMatter
women have a different bodyfat requirement then males.

for example, in the age group 20-39, the healthy male bodyfat range is between 8-20%, for females it's between 21-33%.
I'd say BF on women have some to do with the size of their T&A.
:D

Eulogy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Phantasmal
Read the Guide to Cutting Up
No one is ever going to get to 6-8% using that silly-ass guide. Its more intended for fat people to get down to 13-15%