Low Weight, Lots of Reps = ?

Raoul Duke

Don Juan
Reaction score
Just wondering if theres any benefit to doing a large number of reps, all in one go (to the point where fatigue sets in towards the end), with a light weight. Will this add any benefit to my physique or will be the equivalent of cardio?

howardalex

Banned
Reaction score
Raoul Duke said:
Just wondering if theres any benefit to doing a large number of reps, all in one go (to the point where fatigue sets in towards the end), with a light weight. Will this add any benefit to my physique or will be the equivalent of cardio?
depends what you define as high reps - most people will grow better from a combination of heavy weights with 4 or so reps and lighter weights with 8-12 reps...there's room for both :)

for growth anyways...if you want strength, I say pyramid up :)

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
let's get some specifics here...

for all lifts, you need to warm up properly (this is probably many more sets with mostly much lighter weight than you think).

for most lifts, especially big ones, you're best off with 5-8 reps, and you should need 2 sets at most.

for smaller accessory lifts (triceps, calves, etc.), you can do 2 sets of 8-12.

for the very biggest compound lifts, esp. squats, you can finish with a set of 15-20 at lower weight IF you're only doing that lift once a week.

see WBA's idiot's guide for further guidance.

cuzza

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
You will put on muscle, but not necessarily strength.

Got a few mates who constantly do almost no weight and very high reps. Quite big, just not strong in the slightest, basically on a constant pump.

Issue is, if you stop working out for a while, the muscle will go quickly.