Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Lost In Lust--(A MUST READ!)

Hidden-Hand

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hello again, comrades. I was recently reading an issue of Men's Health Magazine (September 2009 issue) and I ran into an interesting article. This is not just some 'run of the mill' article that is seen in most issues of this magazine. This article is a story about a AFC/Nice Guy who meets and befriends a 'Unicorn' (After you read the story you will know what I am talking about). I will not spoil the ending, but just know that you should take what this guy does to this 'Unicorn' and do the opposite. Without further waiting here is the story...

"I have three rules," she told me. We were standing outside, and a gentle mist surrounded us. I thought it was romantic. Just an hour earlier, at a bar, Maggie had pulled my head toward hers for a kiss while reaching into my lap and exploring. She noticed me squirming. This was a public place, after all. (Don't worry, all you Maggies I've actually dated; Maggie isn't her real name.) "Wow," she said. "You really pay attention to people around you, don't you?" "Um," I said. "I don't care when people watch," she said. "I think it makes it more exciting." "Um," I said again. What I thought was, "My poker buddies are not going to believe this!" I was on a second date with this stunning green-eyed brunette, a Broadway-dancer- turned-accountant who was sharing what I assumed were her sexual fantasies as she fondled my private parts.

Now, as we waited for a cab, I suggested we go out a third time. "We'll see," Maggie said.

"Um," I said, yet again.

That's when she shared her rules. "Number one," she said, "no pulling the hair.

Number two, condoms all the time. And number three, no human waste."

I have published three books. I once served as a visiting professor at the Oldest School of Journalism in the world. I know how to say, "Yum, this is delicious, may I have some coffee, too, please?" in Russian, and "I adore you, my little cabbage," in French. I did well on my SATs. About some things, though, I am the shop student who wandered into advanced-placement calculus.

We had sex on our third date. The next morning, I asked if she wanted to hang out that weekend. Brunch, maybe? A movie later? A walk in the park? Questions women had asked me over the years. Questions I had deflected, pretended to not hear, or weaseled out of responding to.

She would love to hang out, she said, but a friend was coming in from out of town, and she wasn't sure what they would be doing. I should go ahead and make plans, and we'd play it by ear. I have "played it by ear" enough times to know that the phrase does not signify strong affection. Which I, to my slight alarm, was beginning to feel toward Maggie.

"Of course you are," said Fredo, my most reliably Cro-Magnon poker buddy. "You almost got a hand job on the second date without even paying for it! Who wouldn't feel strong affection for that?"

Over the next few weeks, Maggie and I attended a yoga class together, and went out to dinner and breakfast, and held hands in public, and talked about family and friends and children and faith and work and books. She also mentioned that "really intense sex is important in a relationship." On our sixth date, when I told her I was happy we had met each other, she suggested we try a threesome. She offered to bring the other woman.

(This might be a good place to point out that I am fully conversant with theories about how the full, unashamed expression of female sexuality is supposed to be threatening to men; that a woman's raw, unfiltered desire, absent any kowtows to male power, is sup- posed to alarm men. This might also be a good point to mention that I want the woman I adore to feel free to express herself, unfettered by traditional sex roles or crippled by male insecurity.)

Of course I was terrified. But I have lately been trying to follow the advice of self-help books, our democratic leadership, and my shrink, all of whom suggest I not mistake my fears and darkest suspicions for anything like wisdom or even a semi-accurate assessment of the world. I needed to believe in hope, in a prosperous future. So she liked sex a lot? So she wanted another woman in our bed? So she countered my invitation to a romantic weekend in the country with a suggestion that we journey downtown instead, "where I know a really cute little shop with nice sex toys"? Why should a healthy, confident guy, secure in his manhood, be afraid of that?

Related question: Why wasn't I that guy? Would I ever be?

Maggie had a soft, tender side. She doted on her niece. She spoke with her parents every night. She shared her acupuncturist's and astrologer's phone numbers with friends. After sex, she hummed tunelessly as she drifted off to sleep, and in the middle of the night, sleeping and mumbling and humming again, she reached out to me, pressing her body against mine.

I did not tell my poker buddies about her tender side. That side is not as salient to guys as "near-hand job on a second date," or "former professional dancer" or "threesome." That's what I told my friends about. The closest I came to confessing my growing unease is when I mentioned to the guys that, on date six, right after the threesome offer, she had asked me to please not call her on the telephone, ever, "because I talk to people all day and I need some Me Time."

The guys' reactions were uniform, though often monosyllabic. "Dude!" they shouted, or grunted. I received high fives and fist bumps. My friend Hank, a banker and a man who referred to women as "horizontal entertainment," feigned tears, hugged me, and whispered, "God bless you, son. You are living my dream. You're living all our dreams."

The third weekend of playing it by ear, I received a text message at midnight on my cellphone. "I'm in the neighborhood," she wrote. "What are you doing?"

I pondered for a moment what kind of message I would be sending if I, who yearned for more hand-holding and cuddling, invited her over. The moment was very short.

The next morning over coffee, I took Maggie's hand. "You know," I said, "I really like you."

She snatched her hand from mine, frowned, and straightened her back.

"What?" I said. "So you can tell me all about your rules on human waste -- which I still don't really understand and don't want to -- and throw group sex into the mix, but you have major trouble with me telling you I like you, is that it?"

"That's it," she said, scowling.

Maggie was wounded, I told myself; she didn't want to rush into anything. She wouldn't be holding hands with me in public unless she felt a special way about me. Her special feelings were terrifying to her. I was sure I could help her learn to trust again. To love again. I told myself things similar to what I suspected a lot of women had told themselves after I had reached out to them, undressed them, touched them tenderly, and then told them it would be better to play things by ear. (I had held hands with some of them in public, too.)

I didn't tell any of these things to my poker buddies, because guys do not admit to other guys that sexually voracious and emotionally distant former professional dancers frighten them. To lots of men, a former professional dancer who wants sex without intimacy represents something as magical and wondrous as a microwave oven that dispenses deep-dish pepperoni pizza 24 hours a day, and cleans itself and which, if you push the right buttons, dispenses sweet, cold, hangover-free beer.

I granted her plenty of Me Time. I didn't phone her, ever. (Even though, when I was with her, she talked to other people on her cellphone quite often.) I didn't make my e-mails too romantic. A month after we had started dating, after sex the previous night so vigorous that I honestly feared my heart might quit ("Why are you stopping?" she'd hissed. "Because I don't want to die," I'd answered), I sent her a message saying, "I kind of miss you." She responded, "That kind of comment gives me anxiety. Too soon. Too soon."

"She's like a unicorn, dude," Hank the banker said. "We all want to believe in them, but no one has ever seen one. You have! Be grateful."

Hidden-Hand

Don Juan
Reaction score
There was much to be grateful for. The Valentine's Day dinner when she showed up wearing a low-cut dress, for example, with freshly painted fingernails and toenails (a shade she told me was called Wicked), bearing a bag of gifts. Chocolates. Pastries. A book of coupons describing sex acts, redeemable with her.

I had been such an idiot to suspect her of anything. She chose me for her Valentine's date! She gave me a gift bag! After dessert, at her place, as we were undressing, I asked whether now might be a good time to discuss whether or not we were dating other people.

It was as if I had yanked her hair, denounced condoms, and thrown a bucket of human waste at her feet. She backed into the corner of the living room.

"No!" she shouted. "Too soon! Too soon!"

Was I being "needy and neurotic" a month later, after we had been sleeping together regularly for 8 weeks, when I asked her again about exclusivity? That's what she accused me of being. I asked if she didn't long to be with someone she could trust, someone with whom she could share her dreams, someone she could chat with on the telephone every so often.

"What do you mean?" she said. "Well, don't you think we...?" "There is no we," she said. "But..."

"Steve," she said, "can you please not talk about us for a few weeks? Please? Can you just let things develop without analyzing them all the time?"

That sounded like a reasonable request. It had sounded reasonable (to me) when I had said it to the women I'd toyed with over the years, the ones with whom I (if not they) had enjoyed casual flings and nonexclusive (to me) romps.

But she wasn't me. I had to stop projecting my own sleazy moves and deceptive practices onto the woman I had decided was my girlfriend and would be my future mate. I succeeded, at least partly. I did not give in to my darkest fears.

The sex and the hand-holding continued. I agreed in principle to the threesome, but asked if she would mind waiting just a little while before we did it. When she agreed, I was happy; when we were together, I was ecstatic. When I wasn't with her, though, I worried. She told me that was my issue, not hers.

This might be a good place to tell you that we've been married for 5 years now; that she really was frightened, just like I was; that all the talk about threesomes and human waste had masked a tender yearning that she eventually shared with me; and that once we were able to admit our fears, we discovered that as great as the sex was, it wasn't as great as what we found together. This might be a good place to tell you that, as much as she hurt me, she also taught me to resist my most crippling fears and insane urges. Good things happen to men who don't surrender to the dark, malevolent whispers, the ones telling you that just as you've abandoned women, they may abandon you. And this might be the place to say that love is patient, kind, and strong, and if you believe in love -- even when you're dating a sex-crazed unicorn -- then love prevails.

I wish I could tell you all that. I wish it really, really bad.

But I've learned something else: Magic pizza-and-beer-dispensing microwave ovens don't exist. And even if they did, some poor mopey guy somewhere would yearn for one that would want to hang out with him on weekends. He would long for a mythical and tunelessly humming creature that he could call on the phone whenever he felt like it, one he could make plans with, one he could notify when he missed her. He'd hold out for a brown-haired, green-eyed unicorn that might even whisper that it loved him.

One Monday, after 2 months of more varied sex than I have ever imagined (but no threesome, since I know you're wondering) and many jokes about unicorn sex from my guy friends, I e-mailed Maggie to ask her out for the weekend. When she didn't reply, I sent another e-mail that night, and, following silence that I told myself wasn't evidence of what I'd suspected all along, I e-mailed once more on Thursday morning. Thursday afternoon she wrote back that she didn't think the weekend would work out.

That's when I touched base with my inner Iago and decided the little guy had been right all along. I e-mailed her that what wehad -- as great as it was -- wasn't working for me. I wished her well. I told her I would always think fondly of her but that I couldn't take the push and pull anymore. I felt like a teenage girl, acting the way the wise mother on all those after-school specials say teenage girls should act.

"Our dates have been fun," she wrote back, "and sex has improved a lot. It's all the rela tionship and quasi-psychology talk that don't work for me.... We've been dating. We've been learning about each other, seeing if we are the right fit. We're not."

Since that e-mail exchange, I have developed some rules of my own. First, the next time a woman grabs my privates and starts ticking off rules about human waste on a second date, I am going to consider the possibility that she's more interested in my body than my soul. Second, if that woman suggests a threesome, I'm going to move quickly to schedule it. Third, though I in no way judge a woman who prefers sex toys to telephone calls, I'm going to resist the temptation to think of her as a girlfriend or a future mate.

I ran through the new rules with my poker buddies.

"Big duh," said Fredo. "Especially item two." Banker Hank was more gentle, which surprised me.

"You sound sad," he said.

"Well, yeah, I really believed that there was something real there, and I miss her and I'm thinking of sending her flowers and asking her for anoth..."

"There was never anything real," Banker Hank said. "But don't beat yourself up for getting sucked in by a manipulative nympho. We've all been there."

He put his hand on my shoulder and I almost wept. I had no idea that Banker Hank possessed such compassion. He had always seemed an utter cad.

"Thanks, I really apprec..." "Can I ask you a question, Steve?"

"Sure, Hank."

"Would you mind giving me her phone number?"

Hidden-Hand

Don Juan
Reaction score
This guy messed up on so many different levels it is not even funny. Do not do what this guy did or you will regret it for the rest of your life. Seriously.

shock

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Wow, what a read. Entertaining as hell, and painfully true. Unfortunately brought up memories of myself making the same damn mistakes. I think we can all take something from this.

Cassanova_Child

Don Juan
Reaction score
I lol'd.
Then felt really bad for the guy. Oh well, at least it taught me what not to do when I'm an adult (as if we didn't know this stuff though ;) )

Julian

Banned
Reaction score
Cant turn a ho into a housewife...looks like he mistook a freak for a good girl