Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Losing fat while gaining muscle

Murk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm trying to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. I haven't worked out for a few years, I broke my toe in Ibiza and never really go back into working out but now i'm ready.

I am 6'1.75 and weigh 191.6 lbs (was 194.5lbs 4 days ago).

I'm eating clean, low carbs, lots of protein, only green tea and water, no more alcohol (it's been a week and I was taking in like 3.5k calories from beer weekly). I eat on average 1400 calories a day.

I am doing some cardio (30 min jog) but mainly lifting and getting 8 hours sleep.

I have read varying things online so can someone tell me if I can make gains without having to eat lots. I am hoping my newbie gains will make this easier and I'll just burn up my fat and build muscle as long as I eat lots of protein (like 200g per day) from my 1300/1400 calories.

What you guys think? I'm not totally sure how all this works but I'm giving it a go.

Poonstra

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm trying to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time.
I'm afraid this is not how this works.

You've got two choices.
1.Gain weight (you gain fat and muscle)
2.Lose weight (you lose fat and muscle)

The ratio between fat/muscle gain/losses can be manipulated.

So for example, don't work out and eat nothing but chips and drink cola, and your gains are 90% fat and 10% muscle.

If for another example, you eat 200 Kcalories below maintenance and work out 3-4 times a week, your losses consist of 90% fat and 10% muscle.

The worst thing you can do is what most girls choose to do if they want to lose weight, don't work out and eat below maintenance.
You're losses will be 90% muscle and 10% fat. They'll be like "yay I've lost 7 kilo's". True, but you also became fatter (relatively).

Murk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I plan to eat mainly protein and vegetables and keep working out with minimal calories (1300-1400)

What will be the result?

Poonstra

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
1300-1400 calories looks like (a bit to much) below maintenance (if you work out), but in the beginning you'll burn a lot of fat.
I'd advise you to first work out your maintenance level, then think about your goals, and then construct a plan around that to achieve your these goals. This might mean fist bulk cut later or visa versa. Also, don't dirty bulk, you'll just gain fat you need to burn later.

Here's a guide to a food plan:

R.U.G.

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, yes and no. There is a theory, backed by science, that you can burn fat and build muscle at the same time. However, you have to change the way you eat entirely. I've lost a good amount of fat and gained some lean muscle doing this. It's a keto diet. High fat/protein, low or no carbs and sugar. I've cut down to around 10g of sugar a day and increased healthy fats and protein meals. I hate salad, so I blend instead. I cut out just about all grains, except when I go out with friends or a woman. Then I am basically having one alcoholic drink and some tapas. Look it up on Youtube and Google. It works and is able to be used long term as you do not crash. As for tracking what you eat, try myfitnesspal in the app store or Google play. However, you will see results by just cutting out processed foods, sugar, and any type of bread. Also, NOT overworking your muscles. You want to have low stress as well. High stress = release of cortisol; which you then gain weight.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I remember a year after having started mma, I was still the same weight, but I looked like a completely different person. I lost fat and gained muscle, but I did not get any larger. If you want to bulk up, then yes you will gain fat too. But you can look a lot better without gaining any weight, if that is what you want.

PeasantPlayer

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I put on some pounds unfortunately, it was my fault too much processed food. I was working out but my eating habits negating that.
Do you guys follow a specific workout program or can of crafted your own? I'm a member on bodybuilding.com

R.U.G.

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I put on some pounds unfortunately, it was my fault too much processed food. I was working out but my eating habits negating that.
Do you guys follow a specific workout program or can of crafted your own? I'm a member on bodybuilding.com
First things first. Try to cut as much processed foods out of your diet first. That's what I did and grew from there.

Murk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have seen you can lift and make gains on a caloric deficit, mainly due to me just starting out so I'm sticking to that.

Everything is going great so far and I'm feeling and even looking better already I'm down to 190lbs and I can already see my shoulders and arms getting bigger.

My only dilemma is whether to go no carbs or low carb? I relish dieting but keto is a lot of effort/new food and will make my life more complicated, low carb is easy.

PeasantPlayer

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have seen you can lift and make gains on a caloric deficit, mainly due to me just starting out so I'm sticking to that.

Everything is going great so far and I'm feeling and even looking better already I'm down to 190lbs and I can already see my shoulders and arms getting bigger.

My only dilemma is whether to go no carbs or low carb? I relish dieting but keto is a lot of effort/new food and will make my life more complicated, low carb is easy.
What is a caloric deficit? I understand it I think just reconfirming

Poonstra

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
What is a caloric deficit?
When you eat less energy than your body needs to maintain itself. This means you start burning muscle/fat for the energy that you need.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Workout 3 times per week doing cardio and compound lifts such as squats and deadlifts. Your diet seems pretty good just eat when you are hungry and the body will change to adapt to support the cardio and heavy lifts. It will translate more to inches and looks than the scale.