Looking for a more powerful purpose in life.. anyone else?

Brighty

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm still young, but lately these past few weeks I've been up late just reflecting on my life. I have made drastic changes in my life since I've found this site and I'm eternally grateful, and the once distance prospect of gaming a ton of girls and getting a girlfriend has been achieved... and now I just feel this yearning for something greater, like I'm destined for a greater purpose. I'm a freshman in college and my classes don't interest me; school really doesn't interest me anymore. It's like I'm searching for something more powerful and more meaningful and yet I don't know where to begin. I feel like this is the time to go out and find a calling or something, but I just don't know what. I want to do something special, something meaningful, something active and powerful with my life - not the old boring ratrace that most everyone falls into and I feel like being on this site this would be the best place to ask considering we are (or aspiring to be) alpha men who are the ones really taking all life has to offer and probably would have better insight on this than a lot of people.

Does anyone else share this kind of nagging feeling that they need to achieve something greater? What steps have you guys done towards this? It'd be interesting to hear your responses to this, I feel like I'm kind of in limbo right now. I'd love to have a discussion about this with this community, but I feel like the vast majority will skim over this topic because it doesn't directly pertain to "picking up girls".

She makes you weak in the knees.

But she won't give you the time of day.

Here is how to get her.

killahpl

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm feeling more or less what you're feeling, and I'm a couple of years older than you.

After an extremely crappy childhood filled with loneliness and severe depression, I was thrown into a situation, around college time, where I had to work really hard to support myself and my mother. Now I'm holding down two jobs and life is pretty tough. All that has caused me to think, instead of 'what is my purpose in life? what do I want to do with my life', 'wow, I'd really rather not be alive.'

That being said, things are turning around, and the answer you're looking for is inside you. If I may recommend something, get away from the computer/TV/whatever. I don't know what the area you live in is like, but if possible, go for a long walk alone, take a long bike ride alone, go jogging alone, all of these preferably in a bit of a remote area.

In the worst of times, I used to take long 20 mile walks very often, take really long bike rides, etc. All that lets you reconnect with yourself, clears away the mental clutter, the static connected with everyday life's problems.

KingofHearts

Don Juan
Reaction score
This is a question every person encounters at some point. Its difficult for people to answer because the solution (if there is such a thing) is different for everyone. Plus, even though some people know what they need to do, they procrastinate on taking action.

I think if anyone answers a thread like this, they will tell you to get a hobby, volunteer, go do action stuff (like jump out of an airplane etc.) All are good ideas but I feel like most people should take a step further back and see the big picture. So let me try to contribute something that others might not have considered.

Many people in their 20's begin their career and work 40+ hours a week to earn money for food, shelter, entertainment etc. There are 168 hours in a week. Say you sleep 8 hours everyday during the week, so subtract 56 hours. That leaves 112 waking hours. You work 40 of those hours (not including preparing, traveling and resting from a work day which is probably 1-2 hours itself). So say work consumes 50 hours of your week. That is nearly half of your waking hours.

This is the curse for many people - they spend half their time doing work they don't want to do so they can survive and do what they want the other half of the time. You see how life so easily revolves around work, its because it consumes so much time.

There is a quote from John Wooden that says something to the effect of "Success is knowing that you did your best to fulfill your potential."

If you don't see where I'm going with this, my point is that you can lead a purposeful, successful life by making the most of your time on this earth. You can be happy knowing that you became the best you possibly could. And you have discovered what most eventually do, that being with women is not the purpose of life. Its a byproduct while you pursue bigger goals and dreams.

My suggestion to you is you need to ask yourself some important questions. What do I enjoy doing? What am I already good at? What can I contribute to the world? Is it possible to do what I enjoy and contribute to the world simultaneously?

My solution? I found a career that I would do if it was free. This guarantees that I am doing something I enjoy a majority of the time, plus it puts food on the table. Its a win-win because the hours I "work" are satisfying to me, as are the hours I have to myself. I'm good at it and it certainly makes a difference in my community. Will I do the same thing forever? God, I hope not! But doing what I do now makes me happy and gives me a purpose. Is it perfect? No! I still feel that tugging that you're talking about. I think that feeling is a hint that change is around the corner. I'm slowly moving onto different interests as I mature. I don't regret the things I've done, but maybe I'm ready to move on. This mindset is fun for me. I'm doing what I want now, plus there is excitement about what is to come.

With respect to how you feel about school... Would school be more interesting if you took different classes? Remember, the first 2 years are mostly generic courses. its sucks, its boring but it leads to taking courses that are part of your major. If you have a major that is interesting to you, then it gives purpose to enduring those boring general subject classes. Or, maybe going to a trade school is a possibility. Cut through all the crap and get educated just on your career choice. You're in and out of school and into the work force in less than a year.

I hope something in this post helps!

Biggie

Don Juan
Reaction score
Try committing your life to Jesus Christ. No I'm not gonna make a huge paragraph trying to convert you or whatnot, but that's what i did and I'm a lot happier with my life. Then your focus is less on getting laid or some other superficial act of temporary happiness, and more on living your life the right way.

Brighty

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
These are all really good answers, thanks guys.

And I'm not too big on the devout Christian dedicated to Jesus Christ thing.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Biggie said:
Try committing your life to Jesus Christ. No I'm not gonna make a huge paragraph trying to convert you or whatnot, but that's what i did and I'm a lot happier with my life. Then your focus is less on getting laid or some other superficial act of temporary happiness, and more on living your life the right way.
You know, you're opening up a huge can of worms with this one.

If worshiping your invisible buddy and promoting hate and intolerance against other (just as valid) religions is the "right" way to live life then it looks like I have alot to learn.

Religion is not the way to go. It's like a treadmill, you don't get anywhere.

But dedicating yourself to something larger than yourself sounds noble. Only problem is, there isn't much good to choose from. The problem becomes even bigger when you've got some intelligence in that head and you can see the bullsh*t surrounding you. Ignorance really is bliss.

Have you ever thought about doing your own thing? Whatever that may be. You must have some passions.

Biggie

Don Juan
Reaction score
As a matter of fact, promoting hate and intolerance against other religions is not encouraged anywhere in the bible. It's just a thing modern Christians do because they're extreme. I believe in Jesus and I will follow him no matter what, and talk about Him to other people, but if they don't want to follow Him then i'm not going to worry about it. People are gonna do whatever they're gonna do. The OP asked for advice on what to do and I gave him a suggestion. And since he answered that he's not too big on Jesus I'm not going to press it any further. Not all of us Christians are like the extreme ones you're talking about.

Brighty

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Alle_Gory said:
But dedicating yourself to something larger than yourself sounds noble. Only problem is, there isn't much good to choose from. The problem becomes even bigger when you've got some intelligence in that head and you can see the bullsh*t surrounding you. Ignorance really is bliss.

Have you ever thought about doing your own thing? Whatever that may be. You must have some passions.

Yes, I've always wanted to be a film producer. I have so many great ideas and scripts for films, but the industry is ridiculously hard to break into and my dad already tried doing that he's now single and lives in an apartment and doesn't make a lot of money. I don't know the first thing about how I would even go about getting into the industry or submitting my work to Hollywood or something. It's kind of overwhelming.

Biggie said:
And since he answered that he's not too big on Jesus I'm not going to press it any further.
Thank you. I'm a lax-christian but absolutely devoting myself to Jesus at this point in my life right now seems counter-productive. But thank you for respecting my wish, if only more Christians were like you.

HeyPachuco!

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as you Brighty.

Props for making a thread on this, what I've noticed is that I can't run before I have crawled. I'm taking each step by step to gaining my objectives. A way I do this is by typing out everything on a day-by-day calender with monthly or daily objectives to see what I haven't done and what I've done.

If you can have a REALISTIC outlook on you're goals, then there shouldn't be anything to stop you from achieving it. I'm only two years older, so I know exactly what you're going through (living in you're head). Less time watching TV/ Net/ Pick ups whatever and actually writting down (excel spreadsheets, I'm not kidding here dude) printing it out is a step. Anything to get off the computer. Additionaly, Being more GROUNDED helped me, punish your self for not fulfilling objectives on time.

Ddon1

Don Juan
Reaction score
Drugs. Gangs. Go Queer. God (in whatever flavor you want)

Seriously what is more important than prowling for women?

=VAGO=

Don Juan
Reaction score
my advice: take one day at a time and smile a lot.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Biggie said:
I believe in Jesus and I will follow him no matter what, and talk about Him to other people, but if they don't want to follow Him then i'm not going to worry about it.
You sound like a reasonable fellow. Too bad your religion is filled with idiots and bigots... like most religions. You're judged on the rule, not the exception.

xsmagic

Reaction score
Hey I think I have some good advice. I'm know I'm still a newbie and not experienced in DJing but with this I can empathize.
You can lay in your bed an hour every day before you go to sleep, just thinking. But your thoughts wont get you anywhere. You can think things a hundred times through for hours and hours and there will be no outcome. Any new beliefs or motivations you've produced through all that thinking can be dispelled with a couple minutes of actual experience. Stop thinking and go out there to actually try new things, then do your thinking. Find out what you find most enjoyable by looking at other people and seeing who's happiest, what makes them happy, will that make me happy? Observe, then do.

Serg897

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
As a matter of fact, promoting hate and intolerance against other religions is not encouraged anywhere in the bible. It's just a thing modern Christians do because they're extreme.
The Bible doesnt promote hate and intolerance? REALLY?

Leviticus 20:13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

For more go here:
http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com

When you believe that nonbelievers are destined to burn in hell for all eternity, its pretty easy to cultivate hate and intolerance. The fact of the matter is its pretty easy to take the Bible and use it justification for extremism.

MeteorMash

Don Juan
Reaction score
Serg897 said:
The Bible doesnt promote hate and intolerance? REALLY?

Leviticus 20:13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

For more go here:
http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com

When you believe that nonbelievers are destined to burn in hell for all eternity, its pretty easy to cultivate hate and intolerance. The fact of the matter is its pretty easy to take the Bible and use it justification for extremism.
So all people who smoke shall be more likely to get lung cancer, does that mean that health official promote hate against smokers?

There are idiots and bigots in everything. even this whole DJ sh1t, you see it all the time. Some guys here practically damn anything AFC, but I know that most decent minded guys on here are not like this

The same as with religion. There are religious extremist, but it's not right to take the stupid sh1t they do and judge everyone for it. Have the knowledge and respect that all christians are not extremist condemning nutjobs.

seriously. It's insulting

DonGorgon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Studying the fact that all lies contain fragments
Look all you want but you are here to work, pay bills, avoid all the problems you can, and deal with the consequences of the problems you cant avoid ,... mate and reproduce and die... thats it.. a few distractions (drugs, religion etc etc etc) along the way so you can say you had some fun .. and thats about .. LIFE.

fuChelios

Reaction score
some good responses

guys please stop arguing about religion in this forum ffs

if there was no such thing as failure, what would you be doing RIGHT NOW?

JAS760

Don Juan
Reaction score
im on the same boat bro, i hope everything works out (which it will)

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
DonGorgon said:
Look all you want but you are here to work, pay bills, avoid all the problems you can, and deal with the consequences of the problems you cant avoid ,... mate and reproduce and die... thats it.. a few distractions (drugs, religion etc etc etc) along the way so you can say you had some fun .. and thats about .. LIFE.
Freaking trolls. :crazy:

Anyways. I'm facing this exact same scenario dude. I'm not doing what I want. I'm closer than before to my goal, but its still not enough. I don't enjoy my life, but I don't hate it. Better than hating it before.

I'm not fufilling my purpose. My passion. I've been trying to find it myself because its been so long since I remembered it. Stupid crap got in the way since I was a kid. All I had then was hopes and dreams and a desire to be something someday. Only problem is that I forgot what.

I'm closer than before, but its still far.

I think it has something to do with building sh*t myself. I used to be into legos. Built all sorts of weird contraptions. I feel relaxed and time flies by when I'm designing or building something.

What about you Brighty? What did you like to do when you were a kid. And what feels right to do now? Something that feels natural, like riding a bike. You just do it. You must have something.