Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

(long) recent attempt at overcoming one-its and seeing girl as just a friend

MrNiceGuy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok, heres a (long) email I just sent to a friend of mine about this chick I've got super bad one-itis with, after I'd written it I thought some of you guys may be interested. I've been talking to my mate about her for a few months now, and shes in a long term relationship with her boyfriend of almost 2 years, I'm almost certain she's not interested in me, so I'm doing my best to stop seeing her as a potential partner. My super paranoid brain doesnt want her to stick her name in google for some unknown reason and find this post (yeah how likely it that anyhow?), so shes called X.
If you do read it all, or even if you only read some of it, please let me know what you think about it all, I'd be interested to hear your opinions.
--------------------------------------------------

MrNiceGuy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes, its yet more crap about you know who!

Not sure if you've read the email I sent yesterday but its mostly irrelevant to today anyhow.

today has been (for me at least) a semi interesting day on the X front, regarding my attempts to push her into my friends only category.

Not sure what I was dreaming about, but woke feeling intense anger/sadness/frustration that I'm 23, reasonably good looking, don't (I think) have any severe personality disorders and yet have failed to get involved in a single long term relationship. Which led to me thinking about my number 1 candidate, which in turn led to me reminding myself (again) that thinking of her in that way will only make the situation worse..

A bit later on in the morning I realised that it was set to be a very boring day, with no one in the house and nothing really for me to do except unpack or work on project. So remembering my conlusions I'd made earlier I decided to try and kill two birds with one stone. I took a deep breath and did something potentially very dangerous, I decided to treat X as I would any other mate ie. not worry about what she's going to think of my actions.. And so the next chain on the logical fence (since after seeing lee last night I knew he was busy today so he wasn't available) was to contact her (as my friend) to let her know I was bored and did she want to do something.

So I did that, I messaged her saying I was bored, had nothing to do, did she want to meet in town or something? She messaged back saying that the thought of moving made her feel sick and she had a hangover. Now I had 3 options.
1) Leave it there, ie let that message be the end of the SMS conversation
2) Continue having tedious SMS conversation in which we may or may not (most likely not) arrange to do something
3) Phone her to have a chat about her hangover/my boredom

So, in the spirit of treat her like I would a mate, and don't worry about what she'll think, I chose option 3 and phoned her. We chatted for a bit (it turned out her housemates had dragged her out and paid for her drinks), then I said something like come on, I'm bored, come meet me in town, you'll feel better if you move about a bit. She said no, not moving, but you can come up here and watch tv/videos with me if you want. I said, no thats too far, you live miles away I can't be arsed, and then she said, no no, you can get a bus, and told me how to get the bus to her house. We chatted for a bit longer then I hung up saying I'd grab some lunch then come see her later.

So far, so good, so potentially catestrophic. I started thinking wahoo, she didn't have to invite me to her place, and I gave her the option to withdraw the invitation when I said I couldn't be bothered, but she didn't, hence she really does think of me as a friend she's willing to do stuff for, but then I remembered this was analysing our relationship again, and not thinking of her like a mate so I stopped that thinking.

So.. her house. Got there and spent all afternoon watching videos, saw the end of coyote ugly, then jerry maguire followed by ****tail. this was in her lounge, two of her housemates were with us occasionally, and well we chatted mostly like mates, conversation was varied and interspersed with silences and comments about what was going on on the telly, neither of us had anything particularly pressing we wanted to talk to each other about (we'd seen each other yesterday) so it was just like when I sit and watch telly with any other of my mates, you chat occasionally and sit in silence watching occasionally but dont have any deep or meaningful conversations. I probably stayed too long.. I'd initially thought I'd leave at tea time, but her housemates went to the shop, for some reason we'd been talking about pizza, so she asked them to get her one, then said to me, do you want one too? I thought **** it, why not.. and before I knew it I was staying for tea.. so had the pizza and watched a bit more telly, now it was getting later and there was less conversation, then the telly started getting really crap, there wasn't really anything good on, so eventually I thought **** it I'll go and asked when the buses were, quater past the hour it turned out, and the time was 8.20. So I was staying till at least 9.15 then, but of couse then big brother was on at 9 so I stayed to watch that, and ended up getting the 10.15 bus, I was tired, I could have stayed longer (telly was getting good again) but I thought it was time to get out.. also as I'll explain in a minute I'd suddenly started to feel a bit awkward.

So for most of the afternoon/evening I was really feeling fine, I wasn't feeling some amazingly deep 'connection' with her or anything, and was just thinking of her like a mate of mine.. success! I thought, I'm on the road to getting over her! there were of course a few spanners thrown in the works...

Firstly, on their fridge lots of photos of her and her housemates getting pissed, etc.. I searched hard for ones including her boyfriend and was midly happy when I didn't find any. Not treating like a mate behaviour.

Secondly, during jerry maguire we talk about weddings a bit, I can't help but ask "when can we expect your wedding then?" she says "never", giving me faint ooooh, shes obviously not serious about her boyfriend hopes/thoughts..

Thirdly, I didnt see in her room untill I'd been there a few hours. I was wondering whether I'd find photos of her boyfriend in there, was half hoping I wouldn't (in reality though I knew its a bad thing to hope for because it just adds fuel to my "maybe she doesn't care about her boyfriend and she'll leave him" fire). Anyway when I did end up going in there (with her) she left me in there after she left to go back to the lounge and I spent a few moments looking around at the things in there and the photos she had up.. found one photo of her sitting at a restaurant table with him, and one of him just stood on his own, nothing in a frame though. Went and sat back down feeling a bit pissed off and again feeling the its not fair, why is she with him, I hope he dies rage. Although this passed a bit later. Again, not treating like a mate feelings.

Fourthly, she found out from me she may have had an email about resitting an exam on friday afternoon. so she contacts boyfriend to get him to check email for her, he phones her to tell her about email, and I listen far too intently to her side of the conversation trying to make out everything she says and cursing the fact that I hear her say 'love you too' at one point.. again leaves me feeling a bit pissed off for a while, and again is not treating like a mate style feelings.

However with the 4 above it didn't take me long to have her mentally back in the "hang on a minute, look at how we're getting on, we're just mates" frame of mind and not pining about wanting to be with her.. the big one is this last one...

Lastly, towards the end (while big brother is on) we're all talking about diets (slim fast add has come on) X is going on holiday in august for a week with her parents to dubrovnik, and says shes going on a diet in order to look good for the holiday (she is a bit chubby). I forget the golden rule with women, and instead of instant you're not fat, you dont need a diet reassurances, I joke about how diets are rubbish, she just needs to not eat very much like I do, and hold up my skinny arms as evidence. Anyway, she doesnt seem bothered by my lack of "you're not fat" remarks, but one of her housemates does jump on the, feminine support, you don't need to go on a diet bandwagon. X says, "yes I do, I need to find myself a nice croatian man" this is annoying because it adds to the evil "she doesn't care about her boyfriend, maybe she'll go out with me" fire. But anyway, before I can start stewing over that, her housemate says (jokingly), "yeah, but you don't need to go on a diet, the men are all falling for you anyway", X says, "true". Of course the entire conversation wasn't serious, but I'm instantly convinced they're referring to me and I just suddenly feel really really awkward. The idea that X knows I fancy her, talks about it with her mates and can make subtle references to it in front of me just doesnt feel good at all. And after I leave the house I'm convinced they've instantly started gossiping about me and how much they think I fancy her. Of course this is most likely my insecure brain kicking off again, but the fact it throws me so much really hammers home the fact that to me she's not "just" a mate at all.

MrNiceGuy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
(cont.)

Anyway, thats that, I really wish I'd stop looking out for signals that shes not happy with her boyfriend, and hence end up finding them in every little thing.. because when I do find them I need to negate them with a sign that actually she is happy with him (which usually leads to frustration/I hope he dies rage) or (like most of this afternoon) a period of only getting on with her like a normal mate. As it is one of the last things I remember her saying now is that she needs "a nice croatian man", meaning I'm still thinking maybe she doesnt love him (plus I've trawled up all the little signs this afternoon that could mean she's not happy with him) and I bet I'll wind up asking her about holiday romances (hoping of couse that something did happen showing she doesn't love her boyfriend, but which would also probably make me pissed off that I'm not the guy she cheated on him with) after her holiday.

Somehow while walking home I concluded that next time me and her are having a proper conversation I'll ask her "whats wrong with me? Why can't I get a girlfriend?" I really would like her opinion, (mainly because she's a girl, not because she's her) and she's the only girl who knows me well enough at the moment to (if one exists) be able to give me useful answer. Whether she'll be honest with me and point out any glaring mistakes I make to me (which I will ask her to do), or fob me off with just be yourself nonsense I don't know but I'll push her to give me an honest answer, I'm just trying to work out how best to sort it so she realises I do actually want the advice so I can go out and get a woman, not because I want to know how to seduce her, and I think the best way to do that may be to be honest, e.g. "I think you think I fancy you. You're right, I do, but I really want your advice on what to do so I can go out and get someone who ISN'T you. because I realise you obviously aren't interested in me like that." but obviously worded better than that, so she doesn't do the whole.. "oh my god he REALLY likes me, I'm scared, I'd better never talk to him again" act.

So thats that, encouraging signs today that I may be able to consign her to the mates pile (although I'm still convinced the easiest way to do so, is to find someone else to be interested in) and also signs that unless I do find someone else to interest me its still going to be tricky. Again, explaining everything I've thought about today has taken far too long but at least its off my chest. Give me any of your thoughts if you've got the time.

------------------
The end. Well done if you got this far!

dontmindme

Don Juan
Reaction score
well.. for me, it all happens without being conscious about it. one day, you just forget to think about her. and then you might start thinking about her again. then another day, it happens again. it might become two days.... 3 days....1 week.. 1 month.. 1 year.

of course, it was much easier for me cutting off all contact, but i suppose some people can get over their one-itis without doing so.

MrNiceGuy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by dontmindme
one day, you just forget to think about her.
Yeah, the times when I'm busy and doing stuff its very easy, its when I get bored that I think about her too much. At the moment cutting off contact isn't really an option, I see her most days anyhow, plus at the moment I dont have many mates in my town so I need her as a friend.

dontmindme

Don Juan
Reaction score
nah, you don't NEED people as a friend. serious. for the past 2 years, i've watched movies by myself, ate dinner by myself, gone to the gym by myself, went to parties by myself.

it's not that i'm anti-social, but because of my schedule, i'm not in a good position to meet too many new friends.

at first, i thought how much it sucked all my true firends lived so far away, and i longed for the college dorm days.

but eventually, i became comfortable being by myself, and i MADE SURE i kept myself busy.

i thought about all my personal goals that i had place on the backburner, and have been taking steps to achieve them.

and when i'm concentrating on self-improvement, i don't think as much about meeting a girl, or being with a girl.

of course, sometimes it happens when i let my guard down, but i know myself better now, and i'm more confident.

and the thing i'm working on most, is being patient, including being patient with girls. they'll come to me eventually, and by then, i should be more than ready.

i'm not saying to do what i've done, but i'm just saying what has worked for me.

WatchMeWalk

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Dude! If you are seriously trying to get over her, hanging around her as a "mate" is only achieving the opposite effect and you damn well know it.

OUT OF SIGHT, OUT OF MIND!

RazzleDazzle

Don Juan
Reaction score
You have to do your best to stay busy and to not hang out with her. I know you think your doing a good thing but your just adding fuel to the fire. The only way to put out the fire is to let it die.

davelmn2003

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Sometimes seeing her as a friend can be beneficial--but perhaps not in the way you think.

Gradually, things may get cool with you guys as friends. Then you go out less often, call less often, and care about each other less as friends. Then it just gradually died out.

Alternatively, don't contact this girl any longer. Try to find a new one (it's hard) or at least FOCUS on a new one.

I have the same problem as you. Almost 3 months have passed and I still can't get her out of my mind...

becker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MrNiceGuy, your situation is worse than I thought. I know a girl with a BF who has been with him for over 4 years, and I was convinced that we were perfect for each other. However, I never acted on it because of the BF. She seems to become more interested in me each time I see her, but I treat her totally like a friend. Very little flirting, and just joking around having a good time. I think it's important to hang around girls like this, but not to cross the line or even imply too much by your actions. Girls certainly read into things pretty heavily.

That unbelievably long post (I can't believe I actually read it all, I usually can't) hinted at some serious one-itis, and the fact that you may be making it too obvious that you're into this girl (as evidenced by that one comment involving "boys fall for you anyways". I've never gone that far, but I know what that's like because I've seen others suffer through that. I can imagine what it's like to be in that position though. It's important to be able to get yourself to be more comfortable just hanging out with this girl, with her BF in the picture, while you just concentrate on others in the meantime. You don't need to find another girl and get involved with her, just be flirty and carefree, and girls will flock to you, even the ones with BFs.

I'm more the independent type who tends to give off the vibe that I don't need anyone, yet I'm charismatic enough to attract people to me. I don't think it's important to never see this girl again, UNLESS you don't think you'll ever be able to act any differently towards her. It takes practice, but it can be done.

MrNiceGuy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Becker, well done for reading all of that.. I know I'm not the best at writing these sorts of things concisely so I just chuck down everything I'm thinking.

I don't think that now I'm making it too obvious that I'm into her, but I think it may have been a few months ago. The main thing is she knows full well that I've not had any success with any women since I've known her, (and shes probably guessing (correctly) I wasn't too successful before I met her) so shes well aware that at the moment she's the only girl I know that I'm close too.

I think though it is getting easier to deal with her, especially when I am reminded of her boyfriend, as it keeps reminding me that she's not interested, the trouble being she doesn't really talk about him much, and occasionally refers to him in ways that suggests she's by no means head over heels in love with him. there were points yesterday afternoon when I was really thinking to myself "what on earth do I see in you?" and realising alot of things wrong with her that I didn't like. As it is my one-itis is entirely down to my lack of options and the fact that shes the closest girl to me at the moment, rather than outstanding things about her.

Being flirty and carefree is definitely the way forward, a few weeks ago I had a couple of nights out were I was feeling like this and I got chatting to plenty of women (still got nowhere tho) but it really reminded me there are plenty of other women out there.. and I wasn't bothered by X at all, recently tho I've not met anyone interesting. I'm trying to keep myself busy and have been looking for bar work (probably a good job to meet lots of chicks/improve socal skills) but the fact I've got no bar experience means I've not got anything yet.

I got an email back from my mate today, he too is a complete AFC (and despite my advice is unwilling to try and change himself) but he basically told me to try and keep myself busy, plus he reckoned I definitely should NOT combine the "what am I doing wrong?" conversation with the "You think I fancy you. you're right." conversation, as its very unlikely to lead to any sort of positive outcome and a negative one is much more likely. Thinking about it more he's probably right, its just I was thinking last night "she already knows I like her, whats the harm in confirming it and being honest about what I'm trying to say, so that I don't have her trying to read a hidden meaning into everything I say/do"

As it is, I've moved in next door recently to a house of 4 female students about my age.. I met one of them when I was moving in, and am thinking the best way to see some more of them is to have some sort of party and invite them round.. So I might ask X her opinion on how best to impress them, at least its a signal to her that I'm looking elsewhere.

I dont want to start avoiding her anyway, I've met one of her housemates before (wasnt there yesterday though) who I quite fancy and I'm planning to try and at least ask her for her number next time I see her, and of course the only way I'm going to see her is if I come out drinking with X and she brings her mate along.

ulsterman

Don Juan
Reaction score
Somehow while walking home I concluded that next time me and her are having a proper conversation I'll ask her "whats wrong with me? Why can't I get a girlfriend?" I really would like her opinion, (mainly because she's a girl, not because she's her) and she's the only girl who knows me well enough at the moment to (if one exists) be able to give me useful answer. Whether she'll be honest with me and point out any glaring mistakes I make to me (which I will ask her to do), or fob me off with just be yourself nonsense I don't know but I'll push her to give me an honest answer, I'm just trying to work out how best to sort it so she realises I do actually want the advice so I can go out and get a woman, not because I want to know how to seduce her, and I think the best way to do that may be to be honest, e.g. "I think you think I fancy you. You're right, I do, but I really want your advice on what to do so I can go out and get someone who ISN'T you. because I realise you obviously aren't interested in me like that."
Mate, you MUST NEVER take that approach with any woman in whom you are interested. NEVER. The reality is this: you are infatuated with this girl, and there's a fair chance she knows it. Asking a woman to be brutally honest with you about your mistakes is another way of saying "I am an incredibly pathetic, hapless, clueless excuse of a male, so much so, I cannot even perceive the causes of my Beta wimpiness and so I have to ask women to condascend to tell me what's wrong with me". Your case reminds me a bit of Robert Burns' poem, "Mary Morrison", wherein he craves pity from the object of his desire, so AFC is he:

Oh, Mary canst thou wreck his peace,
Who for thy sake would gladly die?
Or canst thou break that heart of his,
Whose only fault is loving thee?
If love for love, thou wilt not give
At least be pity for me shown,
A thought ungentle cannot be,
The thought of Mary Morrison.

Best to forget about her, TOTALLY, since she has a boyfriend and you should be spending the time working on other girls. I know what I'm talking about, as I;ve been down the same road myself. It ends in you looking back and calling yourself a jerk.

MrNiceGuy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Cheers ulsterman. My mate said in his email he thought that asking her would get me nothing more than just the "be yourself" answer followed by the cold shoulder.

Thing is she often bangs on about the mysterious "bastard factor" as she calls it. She brought it up again yesterday (unprompted by me) when we were watching the films (both romance type things).
She reckons all women want the bastard factor, many men think they have it, but most of them don't.. however when I push her to explain what it is.. she can't. I asked her to give me an example, and the best she could do was the guy shouldn't do everything the girl says... well duuh. Even I am aware of that much.. It's something she can't explain, but she knows it when she sees it. Of course it seems like she's referring to the differences between AFC, jerk and DJ, but she can't put her finger on exactly what the differences are.

Stupid thing is, if she wants it so much shes obviously not found anyone with it, as she then went on to joke about hows she running out of room on her little finger (from all the guys wrapped round it)... although the thing is she doesnt actually know that many guys. And from the way she talks about her boyfriend it certainly sounds like he's a complete lapdog, and she certainly thinks shes wearing the trousers in their relationship. I've not yet asked her whether she thinks her boyfriend has it, I'm guessing her answer would be 'no'.

Anyway, what about just asking her for tips, say about seducing my neighbours? at least this way it demonstrates to her I'm looking elsewhere, or do people think this is a complete no-no too.

Last edited:

am4591

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hell, no, don't ask her for advice. That's the last thing you should do.

She's stringing you along. For whatever reasons. Stop going to see her. Don't treat her as a mate. Don't treat her as anything. If she calls you, or you see her somewhere, chat pleasantly for a few minutes, then tell her you have to go, you have things to do. Don't call her or visit her or email her. Drop the whole thing and find other girls to hook up with.

Normally I'd say don't let her boyfriend stop you but in this case I wouldn't try anything with her since she's been with him for a couple of years. It doesn't matter if she's not entirely happy with him. You're analyzing every little thing she says. Just cut her off and find somebody else.

ulsterman

Don Juan
Reaction score
Sound advice, there from AM. I get the feeling this chick is on an ego trip with you; she probably knows you are hers any time and that means she'll take you for granted and therefore not find you remotely romantically interesting. This arrogant "joke" about running out of room on her finger due to all the guys she has wrapped round it bespeaks an unnerving confidence on her part when talking with you... The thing is, she has you analyzing everything she says when, for you to steal her heart, you would have to be in a position where she would be doing that with you.

As for asking her for tips, I counsel you with a resounding NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't do it. You cannot justify it on the basis of demonstrating to her an interest in someone else as her interest level in you is far too low at present for such ploys to yield any fruit. At best, she'll simply see it as a pathetic demonstration of romantic ineptitude, confirming her probably already low opinion of you; at worst, she'll see right through it and lower her already low opinion of you.

There are two major problems here, if we disregard for now your present romancing prowess, or lack thereof:

1. She has a boyfriend;
2. She is not interested in you.

Why even let yourself fall so badly for an unavailable girl, when there are so many available ones? It's just another, and very formidable, obstacle to any progress. My sister sometimes complains about her insensitive husband. When she does that, only a fool would agree with her, and why? Because while she might mean it at the time, an hour or so later she's forgiven him; but she remembers what everyone said about him when she was mad and she doesn't forget that too readily. The golden maxim is this: with women, actions speak louder than words. So if this gal's boyfriend is such a disappointment to her, how come he's still her boyfriend?

The fact that she appears to be not interested in you is not as insurmountable an issue as the boyfriend thing, but nevertheless, it takes an accomplished operator to turn a woman from a "friend" into a willing girlfriend. And this chick doesn't even sound like much of a friend to begin with, as she seems to be stringing you along somewhat. It would be a different matter if she really were your friend (which implies a modicum of genuine respect for you) and if she were single...

I still think the best remedy for your heart, my man, is to walk away. Be man enough to be a man, and seize control of your life. Make the ruthless decision to kill your feelings for this girl and move on before you do something you really regret. Who wants to be known as the guy who was so romantically inept he ended up being humilated by girl X after asking her for love advice? The bottom line for you, my friend, is Don Juans do not ask for love advice from women they fancy.

iqqi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
definately do not ask her for advice. everyone is right on that! come here instead, most of the advice is really helpful and supportive of what you already know deep down. try to leave her alone, i know that could be very hard, but if you do stay in touch, stop acting like you love her, and don't call her too often. does she call you? distance yourself...
if you ever hope to have a chance with her, you'll have to let her miss you first. you can't do that if you're always available to be her ego stroke. and since you already have been, thats ok too, cuz when she's missing you (that can mean just noticing your absense) she'll remember that you made her feel good, whereas Mr. ****head Boyfriend doesn't.

MrNiceGuy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
thanks for the tips guys, I've realised what a stupid, stupid idea the whole I love you, help me find someone else so I can get over you idea was.. how pathetic would that have been!?

As for trying to get her to drop her boyfriend for me... My brain realised many months ago that this would not happen as long as I was infatuated with her, and my heart currently goes through phases of knowing this and phases of looking out for the will she leave her boyfriend signs... this is not my objective anymore because I know that trying to achieve it will most likely cause more harm than good.

Now, as for whether she's on an ego trip with me, is she using me, is she a genuine friend, does she respect me? and so on.. I really don't know.. but its also got to the point where I don't think I'm going to waste time trying to work it out.. I know she seems to enjoy my company and I enjoy hers, so I guess thats all that matters. Now, as for trying to withdraw my friendship services from her.. that could be tricky.. the times when she obviously actually needs me around to spend time with are almost always times I also need her around to spend time with. The reason for this is, we're both doing the same masters course, there are 10 of us, we all work in the same room, but most of the people on the course are complete geeks, so when it comes to group social events me and this girl stick together to preserve our sanity and prevent ourselves dying of boredom, we also end up going for coffee/tea in the day to get away from them all..

her ego/self confidence. this is interesting.. she repeatedly claims to be a shy person.. and in some respects I know she is (e.g. she would not let me see her CV the other day for fear I'd take the piss out of it, led to a little playfight :) but I still didn't get to see it).. When I first met her she was quite shy and hard to talk to, it was only after a good few months as we really got to know each other better and became closer that she started to come out of her shell.. or rather she acted around me like she does with all her close girl mates... i.e. I am no longer the mysterious new guy, or the guy that she knows a bit but she doesn't know that well. I'm the guy who she gets on quite well with and so treats like all her other good mates because she's not romantically interested. Her confidence and arrogance regarding men isn't just reserved for when shes with me, she displays it around other people and friends of hers, even some of the people on the course who she doesn't get on with that well (this is one of the things that I actually dont like about her).. although to be honest I have been noticing recently an increase in her level of ****iness around me, nevertheless I'm doing my best not to let her get away with it, example, a recent course social outing (that she had sought repeated assurances from me that I was going) She got up to leave to catch her last bus just before closing time, so I decided to go too, for 2 reasons, I didnt want to be stuck with the rest of the course, and I wanted to spend a bit more time with her.. so as we're walking to her bus stop (which is on my way home)

her: so why did you decide to leave early then?
me: I don't think I could have stood another ten minutes with those guys on my own..
her: (jokily) and I thought you were being a gentleman and walking me to my bus!
me: ha! you think too much of yourself you know that?

So what am I going to do? Well, I'm going to give up on something I was thinking of doing with her which was using her to practice kino and flirting and general DJ techniques on.. I'm not saying I'll make a conscious effort not to kino her but I won't make a concious effort to kino her, that way I'm not looking like a clumsy AFC trying to seduce her.
I won't cut off all contact or anything like that, but I will do my best to stop reading so much into everything she does and I won't give her the impression I really like her anymore, at the moment I'm feeling like I should be able to do this but of course that may all change when I see her tommorow. Essentially I'll continue with my plan, to continue to see her as just a mate (albeit one I can't talk to about girl problems) and not analyse every aspect of our relationship. Finally I'll continue with what I've been trying to do which is try and get involved with someone else. The past few months my feelings for her have been very up and down, one day I really like her, the next I don't, both yesterday and today I've gone through both extremes, at the moment I've settled on not being too bothered about her and hopefully thats how it'll stay.

Last edited:

Jay26

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Walk away! This looks like a bad case of one-itis, your not over this girl, and like everyone has said if you hang around you can look forward to lots more heartache, so do yourself a favour and move on.

nistelrooy

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been in your situation a lot of times.

Believe me, hanging out with her will only make it worse. You don't want to be just friends with a girl you like...get real.

What I did was a gradual withdrawal. Its good if going cold turkey is too hard for you (or her). Slowly reduce the number of calls you make or how many times you go out with her, and at the same time, find something else to take up your time.

Soon, you will reach a point where you really won't care about her. The human brain can be conditioned to almost anything. It has worked for me everytime.

And the best thing is, once I've honestly forgotten about the chick, its she who starts calling and asking me out and wondering why I've been so quiet.

I could never quite figure why she would do that, until i discovered this site and read bits of the DJ bible.

Howie Farkes

Don Juan
Reaction score
the trouble being she doesn't really talk about him much, and occasionally refers to him in ways that suggests she's by no means head over heels in love with him
This means absolutely nothing in my experience. I once (over a decade ago now...damn where does the time go) had a oneitis, who knew I was into her, and at the same time had a boyfriend. She never talked about her boyfriend in any good way but told me all about the bad things going on in their relationship.

After a few months of this I asked her
"Why are you still with this guy?"
"Why do you ask?"
"Well, it seems to me, from what you tell me, that your relationship really sucks"
"I'm sorry Howie, I know you really like me so I though it'd hurt you too much to tell you all about the great things going on between me and my boyfriend."

So the reason you don't hear about X's boyfriend might be that she's very aware you like her and thinks that she may be shielding you from pain (for what reason who can tell, to keep you hanging around like a puppy dog maybe).

And quite frankly the only way to get out of the situation is to get out of the situation. Don't see her anymore!!