Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

long dist rel - should I break up?

ztas

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi all

a girl I was seeing for 2 years has moved across the world. There's no real chance of us being together again. We parted well but now I'm missing her.

however it does seem that I'm the one making the phone calls and sending the emails.

So...question to those who have been in a simliar situation:

Is there any point in continuing this seemingly one-way pursuit? Should I actively put an end to it (via 'nasty' email), or just a brief email saying it's over without any explanation...

or just let time take its course?

I'd like to move on in life, but find myself thinking of her too much..and getting upset at not being contacted...

thanks all

Kid Quick

Don Juan
Reaction score
You wrote that there's no real chance of you being together again. That, and the fact that she's not returning your correspondence, means that you should stop trying to contact her. She has moved on and it's time for you to do so, too. Absolutely do not send a nasty email as that's petty and you will lower yourself.

MacAvoy

Banned
Reaction score
Its been said here over and over again that the only way a LD relationship will work is if one of the two people is prepared to move to be w/ the other.

Its good that you've caught on early that your the one making all the effort. Just think she's on the other side of the world, seeing new places, meeting new people, getting fvcked by a whole new race of guys.

The million dollar question are you going to sit at home and wank off thinking about her, or are you going to grab your balls and get out there and make your father proud?

ztas

Don Juan
Reaction score
guys,
should I write a non-nasty email stating that we're finished, or just ignore her permanently?

If I send the email, should I at least state what has pi**ed me off (without going into all the history!)

cheers!

MacAvoy

Banned
Reaction score
I would ignore her completely, only because it will continue to show you how little interest she actually has in you. It'll become more evident when you see that she isn't contacting you saying how much she misses you.

Letting your feelings out will only cause more emotions and headaches.

ztas

Don Juan
Reaction score
thanks for the responses so far guys

I'll try to resist emailing/calling her. See if she makes any attempts?

If she doesn't then I'll know where I stand!

I guess I wanted to be proactive (perhaps childish) and send an email (polite one) stating that we're through. Maybe this is just to keep my fragile ego intact!!! You know... dumping instead of being dumped.

Z

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's time to let go of your invisible friend

There is no such thing as an LDR, because you have no relationship. An LDR simply does not meet the criteria needed for it to be considered a relationship. There is no reciprocity of anything more than words passing over a phone line or an IM text. Understand me here, you have no relationship. You have self-assumed accountability, self-assumed liability and internalized responsibilities to be loyal to this person, to fidelity to this idealization, and dropping what everyone outside of your LDR will regularly tell you is insanity, is a personal afront and anathema to this stupid and most insidious form of ONEitis.

LDRs are the most easily identifiable form of ONEitis and it would be laughable if it weren't so damaging to a guy's life progression. The LDR man would sacrifice years of his life in this pitiable effort to pursue his 'soulmate' across the planet or even a hundred miles away. The very thought of refuting the idea that an LDR can work is equal to denying his belief this stupid, fantasized ONEitis fueld idealization that he's swallowed for the better part of his life.

It's easy to criticize an LDR in the terms of questioning either partie's earnestness and fidelity in entertaining an LDR and this is usually the tact that most people giving advice on LDRs follow. One or both parties are or will 'cheat' on the other over the course of time, its true, but LDRs are far more telling of a mentality that results in much more damaging consequences as a result of deeply conditioned self-expectations and fears.

I can't begin to list the number of otherwise intelligent and ambitious men I know who've drastically altered the course of their lives to follow their ONE. Men who've changed their majors in college, who've selected or switched universities, men who've applied for jobs in states they would never have considered, accepted jobs that are sub-standard to their ambitions or qualifications, men who've renounced former religions and men who've moved across the planet all in an effort to better accomodate an idealized woman with whom they've played pseudo-boyfreind over the course of an LDR only to find that she wasn't the person they thought she was.

An LDR is akin to an LJBF, but writ large and festering in a man's life. You play surrogate boyfriend, voluntarily accepting and internalizing all of the responsibilities and accontabilities of being a woman's exclusive, monogamous partner with no expectation of reciprocating intimacy or sexuality. It is the ideal situation for a woman in the same manner a Booty Call is for a man - all sex with no expectations of monogamy or commitment. However an LDR is worse than a LJBF arrangement since it pervasively locks a man into a success or failure mentality with regards to the relationship actually being legitimate. Afterall, she's agreed to be his girlfriend (from miles away) and if he's the one to falter it's his lack of perseverance in this silly ONEitis ego-investment that dooms them. Once the LDR inevitably ends he's the one left with the self-doubt, he's the one beating himself up over wasting time, money and effort and he's the one feeling guilty whether he or she is the 'cheater'.

An LDR is like having an invisible friend with whom you're constatnly considering the course of your actions with. Consider the personal, romantic, familial, educational, ambiton-wise, business-wise, opportunities that you've limited yourself from or never had a chance to experience because of this invisible friend. When you finally divorce yourself from this invisible friend will it have all been worth it?

Guys cling to LDRs because they've yet to learn, in POOK's inimitable words, that Rejection is better than Regret. AFCs will nurse along an LDR for years because it seems the better option when compared with actually going out and meeting new women who are potential rejection. They think its better to stick with the 'sure thing' than risk possible rejection, but it's the long term regret that is the inevitable result of an LDR that is life damaging. Nothing reeks of desperation or verifies a lack of confidence more than a guy who self-righteously proclaims he's in an LDR. Women see you coming a mile off, because you are a guy without options. In fact the only reason a man entertains an LDR is due to a lack of options. If you had more plates spinning an LDR would never look like a good idea.

And finally, I'm sure I'll see the "not in my case" defense posted here about how you actually DO see your invisible friend once every 4 or six months. To this I'll say again, what opportunities are you censoring yourself from experiencing by playing house with a woman you only see this often? Do you honestly think you're the exception to the rule? I'm sure you do.

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
Padron Reserve maduro in hand while finishing my b
Preach on senseai!:cool:

I agree that the inevitable: " but our LDR is different because I KNOW she loves me. She wrote me an email telling me so!" will be dropped by some assclown.

If typed words are proof of one's devotion across a vast ocean then I suppose I'm faggin' out for Quentin Tarantino when he wrote Pulp Fiction just for me! :crackup:

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just to clarify something,..

Originally posted by ztas
tMaybe this is just to keep my fragile ego intact!!! You know... dumping instead of being dumped.
Stop regurgitating this feminized propaganda. You DO NOT have a "fragile ego" by virtue of having a penis hanging between your legs. The more men repeat this into the popular consciousness the more the lie is perpetuated.

And no, do not email her or contact her whatsoever. Go to the gym, go to the clubs, meet women. Do not consider monogamy and do not date women who live more than 30 miles from your home or work.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My roommate has been in a LDR for about 9 months. He lives in New Hampshire and she lives in California. No sh!t. He didnt really want this from day one, he did it more or less out of guilt. He genuinely likes her, but she is absolutely in love with him. They dated for a few months in California when he was doing a semester abroad. Long story short, she fell for him big time and he ended up taking her virginity, further sealing the deal. When he left to go back home, he was hoping she would just let it go, but despite his repeated reasoning with her about why he didnt want an LDR and why it wouldnt work, she turned on the waterworks at the airport and he agreed to do it, hoping it would just fizzle out.

He still gets with other girls when he can and enjoys college. Recently she decided to move up to New York, where he's from, to be with him after college. He told her he wants no part in the decision and that she has to take FULL responsibility for whatever happens, because after all she is the one who wants to move. As if he didnt already have full dominance and "hand" in the relationship, her leaving all her friends and her life in CA gives him 110% hand in the relationship. He's operating on the basis of not caring whether it works out or not, because he can and does hook up with other girls anyway. She is in no way aware of this.

If he were to dump her she would be DEVASTATED. He would probably bang some other girl the next day.

I dont know what the point of this story is; I guess I just wanted to illustrate that not all LDRs are one-sided in favor of the female.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Oh and ztas....for the love of God listen to the older guys here and CEASE all contact with her. A courteous and graceful email may be ok, but you know you are never going be with her again anyway, so dont fight the inevitable.

phoneproblems

Don Juan
Reaction score
please don't do this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/09/AR2006020901477.html

"Tomorrow, Melinda's boyfriend, Army medic Cpl. Joel Buchannan, will likely return from his third tour of duty on the front lines of Iraq. Like all the other girlfriends who have flown into town to meet their significants, Melinda is determined that everything will be perfect on this first night back on American soil. But she, perhaps, is taking a bigger gamble than most.

"She and Joel, also from Southern California, have been dating for nine months. They've exchanged secrets and sexual histories, talked marriage, gotten her daughters and his 9-year-old son acquainted with the idea that there's an important new grown-up around. When Joel needed his Jeep registration and civvies for Georgia, Melinda got the key to his storage space and went looking. She retrieved Joel's Christmas presents from one of his sisters. Lately, his mother and grandmother have been calling her from California for updates on his return.

"But there's one thing the couple hasn't done yet: met in person. Their whole relationship has taken place on the phone and online, with Melinda in California and Joel in Iraq, some 8,000 miles away."

ztas

Don Juan
Reaction score
thanks guys

thank you all for the many responses

Reading them has given me some inner strength and resolve not to write any emails/SMSs!!!

Now I hope I can resist day after day. I know that when I find another relationship or some other activity to get obsessed with, then I'll completely forget my LDR!!!

Who was that again?

;-)

Z