Living with Roommates in a House

green69

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Anyone done this before? Live in a house with 2-3 other people? I'm looking to move out and it was suggested to me that in a house with a couple roommates. It sounds like a cool idea as you get to meet people and having your own house means you can play loud music and everything if it doesn't bother your roommates. It's also pretty cheap compared to living on your own. This sounds like a decent idea...any experiences?

SickAgain

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes. I've lived in several of these situations. I suggest living with someone with a similar lifestyle and habits as you have. For example, if you like to stay up and party 7 nights a week find someone like that. If you think it's okay to leave dishes around the house and empty pizza boxes, find someone who does the same.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I live in an apartment with roommates.

Make sure you know the people you're moving in with very well, that they have similar lifestyles, aren't pigs, etc. I've known people who were friends, moved in together, and ended up hating each other.

Make sure they're people you trust. If your roommate bails on his part of the rent, or breaks something in the apartment that comes out of your security deposit, etc., you're ****ed. So don't sign up with someone unless you really trust them.

My roommates are great, so our situation works out very well. None of us are slobs, we don't trash the place, we take turns doing the dishes, cleaning, etc.

Pathgen

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I live in a house with 7 people (big house and we each have our own rooms). It is kind of nice because it is like an apartment except we share the kitchens, living rooms, and 2 bathrooms.

I didn't know the people when i moved in, but everyone was pretty decent. I had one roomate who didn't like the noise we would make staying up late so she moved out all on her own.

This situation is sweet because we each have our own lease with the landlord. So were not dependent on each other at all. I never worry about my roomates getting the rent late since its their own lease. If i were to move out I would try to look for a place like this.

The ****ty part is that a bunch are moving out and i don't know who will move in. If they turn out to be *******s i will be stuck with them until August (my lease ends) at the soonest. That and parking is annoying beacuase with 5 cars we constantly have to back up for each other