Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Living with roommates - any advice?

diplomatic_lie

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Despite all the warnings, despite the rumours, and despite the horror stories, I've decided I can't afford the rent and will be moving in with a roommate.

Anyone got any advice? Like how to spot psychotic roomies, questions to ask during the interview, etc.

CableLight

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If he paints the place black, lights a bunch of candles in the form of pentagrams, and sacrifices small animals to the Supreme God Voldizu, you might want to get a new roommate.

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My advice would be to find someone who it seems like you'd enjoy going out and clubbing with... generally these people tend to be more like yourself; you don't want someone who's dressed in all black, with mascara and pentagram tattoos on his arms; nor do you want a effeminate guy with a limp wrist and a strong lisp. Talk to a few people, if you don't get a good vibe from any of them, don't rush... it's better to take your time and find a good roommate then to be forced to live with someone you despise for a few months to a year...

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes do as Diable said. But be careful that your roomate isnt a social-slut that always likes to bring over ****loads of people day in and day out. Sure it sounds cool in the beginning, but it will suck after a while. And also make sure that he isnt one of those that stays in his room 24/7, cause thats a drag.

I'm currently staying with the ****tiest roommates ever (i didnt choose them, was assigned). Last night at 11pm I forgot my key, I thought 'no worries, they're in their rooms', but oh'boy was i wrong. I ****ing knew that they were in their rooms (i had seen them just 5mins ago), so I kept ringing the doorbell for 25min, and noone ****ing ansvered the door, forcing me to run around campus and trying to find a security guard that could lock me in. And when I finally got in, they were just standing there going 'ooh, we t hought it was one of your friends...' I was like 'WTF biatch dont you answer the door where you come from!!??' I just had to go to my room and pop some prozac before I killed someone.

Alpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
By far the best advice is to get a friend of a friend who has known them a few years and can vouch for them. This of course narrows the field, but if you can, do it.

sfalexi

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I tried the friend of a friend and it didn't turn out too well. Maybe this situation was an exception to a good rule, but it didn't turn out to well and we both *****ed at each other for a while.

Diablo (IMO) has the best idea on this. Find someone you like to hang out with and would have no problem chilling with. This person will likely make a good roommate.

And make sure you outline all responsibilities and rules for each other from the getgo (noise levels if you're sleeping at different times, rules on parties, dishes, cleaning, etc. etc.)

Alexi

McKindley

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Its good not to move in with close friends. Just because you get along with someone socially doesn't mean you will live well together. Every roommate that I was good friends with before turned into an ugly scene.

Make sure that the person you are moving in with has similiar habits as you; if you're not clean don't move in with a clean freak, if you party all night don't move in with someone who never leaves the house.

The best roommate situation you can have (in all honesty) is where you both live there and that's the end of it. You guys don't hang out together much, and you are both good at paying the bills on time. You don't have to be best friends. In the end all you have to have in common is that you share the kitchen and the bathroom.

Its great to have a roommate that's a great friend that you can get along with in a roommate environment, but a close second is living with some guy thats just kind of there and doesn't bother you much.

diplomatic_lie

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well I don't know any friends who're moving out (or want a roommate). Most of the potential roommates are just strangers who go to the same college as me.

I'm not trying to find any kind of social animal, since I prefer a quiet sorta apartment.

Has anyone stayed with a "couple" before? Y'know, a boyfriend/girlfriend who live in the same apartment, and need a roommate. Would that be a pretty bad idea? I've seen a lot of ads from couples, but I've always been a bit worried about staying with one.

Alpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When I bought my first house I was a bit strapped for cash. Had a lodger and he was fine. Then, like a while later he started seeing this girl.

Turns out she was a moaner, big time, fvcking bad news, they were at it 3 time a night all night.

Also they fvckin took over the place, coming round doing her washing, spending fvckin ages is MY bathroom.

In the end I said he's got to move out, nothing personal. Next week he dumped her and he stayed for a whole year more. :D

diplomatic_lie

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What are your thoughts about staying with older people? Most people I met are around 20-25, but I saw a few who were in their 30s and 40s (mature age college students). Reckon its a good idea?

diplomatic_lie

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Anyone got any more advice?

I'm pretty close, narrowed to around 10 suitable rooms. Only problem is I find it hard to tell their personalities from a few meetings - I can figure out they're clean and friendly, but beyond that, I've got no idea what signs to pick up on.