Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Living at home 30+ years old

slitherjef

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Im turning 30 in about 9 days. I still live at home with my parents. Why? Lots of reasons but one is we just bought a house not too long ago. I pretty much got the basement to my self. I actualy help with bills, buying groceries and such. Help take care of my dad, who is disabled (in fact it is my 2nd job to do so) but still I don't have enough cash to do much between 2 part time jobs (in the summer my real job picks back up) but my hobbies eat up some cash flow... Photography, guitars and astronomy.

My credit is f**ked. Well more like I never got any credit, don't you need that do get an apartment? Besides why get an apartment, I can't afford it really and I got a house I can live in?

At anyrate, I am starting to think I am a socialy retarded pessimistic loner

martinM.

Don Juan
Reaction score
Find someone renting a room out. Usually you can find one for about 300-400 a month. It's a more affordable way to live on your own. Also, it takes you out of your comfort zone and forces you to socialize.

It's pretty common in france/europe to live with your parents at 30+

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
slitherjef said:
...At anyrate, I am starting to think I am a socialy retarded pessimistic loner
It doesn't help that you live underground either. I'm not making fun of your situation, just painting a more vivid picture. Alright, maybe just a little fun... :whistle:

dietzcoi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Italian and rest of European birth rate is dropping like a stone. Do you think these boys (not men) who stay with thier mothers to age 30+ have anything to do with the low birth rate?

Does James Bond live at home with his mother????

Think about it... and move out!

Dietzcoi

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
dietzcoi said:
The Italian and rest of European birth rate is dropping like a stone. Do you think these boys (not men) who stay with thier mothers to age 30+ have anything to do with the low birth rate?
Are you serious??!! :eek: I had no idea, it makes sense though. Hmmm, maybe I should plan a trip to help pick up the slack! :p

dietzcoi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes, you should come over... but not to increase the birth rate!! :)

Dietzcoi

Vis a Vis

Banned
Reaction score
stuka1939 said:
Anyone else is the same predicament?

It is SUCH a confidence killer, but my hands are tied.

I have an overbearing mother who thinks her son can't do anything right and is similiar to Mrs. Costanza. It also hurts confidence because you always have to tell your parents where you are going.

E.G. "You just wore that shirt, why are you wearing it again."
Damn Mahon, you got it rough!!! :kick:

Evzone

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
stuka1939 said:
Anyone else is the same predicament?

It is SUCH a confidence killer, but my hands are tied.

I have an overbearing mother who thinks her son can't do anything right and is similiar to Mrs. Costanza. It also hurts confidence because you always have to tell your parents where you are going.

E.G. "You just wore that shirt, why are you wearing it again."
Dude, even if you get a bookstore job or something while you look for a legit job, that is an improvement. You need to go find an apartment or something; your first pad isn't going to be mansion, but you need to start somewhere.

I am curious though, what is your master's degree in?

Back when I was home from school after my freshman year of college, there was this one guy working a crappy movie theater job with me who was a graduate from Rice. We asked him why the hell he was still working here, and he said something like "well I was thinking about going to grad school at some point, but I didn't. I kind of regret not doing campus interviews now." Well, I came back home last month for winter break...and he's still working there. Sad story.

Vis a Vis

Banned
Reaction score
Evzone said:
Dude, even if you get a bookstore job or something while you look for a legit job, that is an improvement. You need to go find an apartment or something; your first pad isn't going to be mansion, but you need to start somewhere.

I am curious though, what is your master's degree in?

Back when I was home from school after my freshman year of college, there was this one guy working a crappy movie theater job with me who was a graduate from Rice. We asked him why the hell he was still working here, and he said something like "well I was thinking about going to grad school at some point, but I didn't. I kind of regret not doing campus interviews now." Well, I came back home last month for winter break...and he's still working there. Sad story.
Mahon has a master's degree??? From where - Baghdad Polytechnic College? :up:

slitherjef

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
dietzcoi said:
Does James Bond live at home with his mother????

Dietzcoi

Of course not, he is a FICTIONAL character :rolleyes:

Sorry, don't mean to sound like a prick
I do see your point, I just wish people would stop using fictional characters for examples

azanon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I recommend not leaving your parents house until you're ready to grow up. "The World" is only for grown-ups and will be tremendously harsh on someone who isn't one.

The answer to the question.... "Did you just call me a (insert antonymsto "grown-up")" is, yes. I use "in your face" style of therapy. I'm a Biologist, so I don't know how to deliver useful information gently. My wife has that expertise.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
azanon said:
I recommend not leaving your parents house until you're ready to grow up. "The World" is only for grown-ups and will be tremendously harsh on someone who isn't one.....
Dude, I'm usually the one that says something like that! You're right though, it's easier and safer to let someone else bear the burden. They'll either be able to sustain your life along with theirs and if they can't it's not your fault that they couldn't support you too. Either way you come out ahead because you have no individual responsibility so it's not your fault what so ever.

bigjohnson

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm wondering if this isn't one of those "I got my masters degree" people who actually got a degree in something almost completely worthless. A lot of masters degrees are only worth more than the paper they're on if you go ahead and get that PhD, othrewise you wasted a lot of time and money.

Some fields will NEVER yield a decent career.

Cut your loses and do whatever you hae to to get out of debt. Aska a competent financial advisor about bankruptcy, get into a feild with decent career prospects.

If you're living at home and have minimal expenses outside that debt you should be debt free within 24-36 months. If you're living at home and not using the money to pay down that debt you're a freaking idiot.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
bigjohnson said:
I'm wondering if this isn't one of those "I got my masters degree" people who actually got a degree in something almost completely worthless. A lot of masters degrees are only worth more than the paper they're on if you go ahead and get that PhD, othrewise you wasted a lot of time and money...
It's more about the person than the degree. I've encountered more than my share of advanced degreed individuals with remarkable academic credentials but their transcripts are sometimes more interesting than the person.

reset

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just got off $350 a month credit card debt repayment program... 5 years. 5 damn years.

I pay more for my car because when I bought it I had crappy credit. Now the car is about six months away from being paid off.

Now in my case it's $200 month debt for school loans, that's my debt. I would consolidate the two loans but one is in my dad's name, one in mine so I can't. It's still like $17,000 or something. I should probably put more towards the principle balances... makes me sick thinking about how long it's going to take.

But even so, I intend to get my own damn place. This year.

bigjohnson

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Francisco d'Anconia said:
It's more about the person than the degree. I've encountered more than my share of advanced degreed individuals with remarkable academic credentials but their transcripts are sometimes more interesting than the person.
Responded to this once but I think the server crashed before I could post and I can't be motivated to write it all again.

In short yes, it's more about the person and I'm not saying a lot of advanced degrees are BAD, just worthless. Worthless in that the benefit they give in advancing many people in their career is disproportionately small compared to the cost, time and effort put into earning them.

In many cases a masters is viewed as a case where the person didn't have what it took to finish their PhD, and often rightfully so.

sorn50

Reaction score
wolf116 said:
What is wrong with all you people!!!!!!!!!
I left home at 17 (no support from parents), lived in a shared house with no bed, furniture, nothing. Any furniture we owned was salvaged from the dump. Went to uni and worked one day a week. I even learned to fix cars through the net and books and got myself a car on the road for under $200. I also made a great bike from dump parts and made a veggie patch to save on food bills.

That year was by far the best of my life. I lost my virginity on a blanket on a wood floor.

Why people think they need loans is beyond me.

I would like to respond to this. I don't know what year you were 17 man but the world has changed in a-lot of ways I'm thinking since you were 17.

I am one of these 30 year old guys living at home.

Now I tell you this because well it seems like a-lot of people are blindly judging seems like "guys" only. It also seems that everyone here is a guy judging guys.

Meaning 1. You haven't even mentioned about the how society or you guys see woman in this situation but let me tell you a little bit about my story and maybe you will realize how volatile a world we truly live in.

First off. I have two degrees. I just graduated with a masters six months ago.

Yeah it was in anthropology, and before I hear all the attacks about a liberal arts education, let me say that up until a few years ago I wasn't making great money, but I was making decent money in archaeology.

Now I am guessing you don't know so let me explain that most archaeology work done in the United States are completed by CRM companies.

NOw most archaeology work is contract. Meaning that you work until the project is done. After the project is done that's it.
Now how most people work in this field is through networking, thus you finish one project and you then do another.

With this said. It doesn't mean that work is always readily available after you complete a project.

With this said, after I finished the last project I was on, I was going into graduate school. Now Where I ended up going into grad school, due to the amount of work at this level, I could not really work part time or at all.

I was focused on my grad studies. There was a few teaching assistantships I tried out, but I was told that of course they were already taken, and unless the people currently holding onto them ****ed up in some fundamental way, like say sleep with a kid or murder I guess. They basically were going to keep that job until they were done.

Then secondly I got offered a temp position in a archaeology lab that was part of my school that was going to fit around my schedule.

Now I handled this wrong. I had deep reservations of trying to do both graduate work at the time and do this extra part time position.

I handled it wrong by not explaining to the guy why and I just said I wasn't interested and I left.

Anyway a few days later I remember I thought maybe I do need some experience in the lab after all, and I will try to make it work.

Well I went back in on a friday, and told him I could squeeze in fridays. All he did was smile and almost laughing "said eh the position is no longer available".

I thought about going to the dean of the school and saying this guy is preventing me from obtaining skills that might be beneficial to me for archaeology; but after doing one mistake I thought this move would also be a bad mistake.

Thus I felt I learned somewhat and just politely thanked him for his time "though in side I hated this man now".

Anyway I thought if I had bulldozed my way to get that part time position. This is what I might have accomplished.

yeah I might have gotten but

1. It was just one day a week anyway so not a-lot of money, and it would have cut out time for me to focus on work that was required for me to graduate.
2. At the time I felt my graduate work was why I was here in the first place, and would be valued in the marketplace when I got out, so I just wanted to focus on these duties and get out. The plan after that was to get a better job in archaeology than I had after that.

Reason 2 thinking though is based off the old model. The old model that is now somewhat of a lie, where you get more education your basically guaranteed a better job later on.

Anyway 3. Even if I had work, he would have known why I was working with him. Probably he would have hated me or resented having to bring me on, and wanting a reference letter from him; he probably would have laced it with bad things.

Thus anyway I finish my course studies, but then I have this thesis to write. Now This took a-lot of work and effort to complete and of course more time. At this point I was getting worried that I was not making money at this point, but I had come so far, I didn't want to not graduate.

Thus long story short, it took me another 2 or 3 years to finish this work (due to a-lot of reasons out of my control).

I graduated, and while I was waiting on the degree and until now I still have not been able to get a job in archaeology. Even jobs I did before with a B.A. Even though I have work experience (yes as I said I worked in the field) before going onto graduate school.

At this point I no longer see archaeology as viable. I have applied to other jobs but either I get no response or negative responses. Of course I do my work experience and what I was doing in grad school was gearing me for a one type of career (a archaeology one).

I don't regret archaeology in the sense of what we were doing. I didn't completely like the work world in it, but I didn't hate it either.

In the time being though how do I make money. I work in the film and tv industry, but I know this is not a permanent fix, since this industry thrives on youth.

In the meantime I am now trying to learn Ruby and trying to go into programming. I am also continuing to apply to certain positions that I feel I am capable of doing or are similar to things I studied while at school.

Again I don't think I made major life mistakes, I just came out during a very bad time. I am also trying to sell my own independent book right now.

Thus I am doing things. I just haven't been lucky yet.

Again someone who did two degrees and finished them and keeps trying to better himself and doesn't give up does not seem to me as a loser.

Yet I will say when I was younger I never thought the world could get so bad that I would find myself in this situation.

Again bad things happen. Times change. People have to know a-lot more than whatever time you came from.

They are going to keep having to learn I think to, or they will be replaced. Furthermore all of these people saying how loserish these 20 or 30 year old somethings are without knowing these people stories. All I can say is karma is a *****.
Maybe one day in our volatile world you lose your job or you don't get what you expected after doing so much work to complete a goal (which a degree signifies) besides a career interest.

Maybe you will be older than and face the double whammy of being unemployed and being older. Thus, I would try to offer suggestions or support rather than blind judgement, or you could face these same people down the road who are struggling now (us in our 30's) in our 50's when we are secure and we might be your new boss or supervisor.

Again you never know. With this wisdom, I always try to be good to people now. Don't believe me, I destroyed my relationship with a great girlfriend because of some of my kiddish ways. I really regret it, but it's done now. All I can take from it, is to not belittle other people, who don't deserve it.

seagull

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
^ Do you realise you are responding to a post written over five years ago?

Although it's interesting a lot of people talked about being in excessive credit card debt. This was all written before the GFC hit. Hopefully some of these people are wiser now about living within their means.

LiveFreeX

Banned
Reaction score
Same situation here until I was in my late 20's and I started travelling... lots of places in the world you can live decently for next to nothing. I'm finally at a point in my life where I am inviting my parents to live with me. It's a great feeling being able to surpass super low expectations of all the people that doubted you. Just 10 years ago I was the loser and laughing stock in my extended family but my parents and little bro had faith in me and I kept on going. Now we live in a gated community in a place my parents would vacation in, on the other side of the world. It wasn't accomplished without blood, sweat and tears. My parents would have been happy if I had just gotten a job as a guy who cleans the sidewalks, it took me 6 years to get out of Highschool and I never completed college in my 20s. I couldn't get my sh1t together and I had debt up to my eyeballs. My parents would have been proud if I had just been a garbage man, bless their hearts. (its also a damn good job). Anyway... all of the extended family would laugh and call me names... they'd point to their own children who were all managers and lawyers and what not... now I'm the one doing the laughing.

You can get yourself out of debt and create something for yourself BUT you need to bite the bullet, live without EVERYTHING...live completely below your means and save your money. Do jobs that suck, I've cleaned toliets, worked on the factory floor, done security... pounded the pavement and had people refer to me as 'idiot', 'loser', 'piece of sh1t'... man it seriously makes the victories in life taste so much better. I use to wear only used clothing, eat only mac and cheese (sometimes out of dumpsters) and basically live like a seriously poor Mexican till I cleared my 40k debts. Now we are doing quite well... there are plenty of cheap houses in America for $500 to $1000 dollars...and lots of cheap parcels of land. You can still go out and fix up the home with your two hands... go down to the library and take out some books on reno and teach yourself.

There is lots of money in oil, transport, danger pay... go where the money is. Yeah the job is gonna SUCK but even on minimum wage you can dig yourself out of the hole. Too many spoiled kids today (my friends back home included) just flat out refuse to work in a job that doesn't meet their 'station in life'. The best advice I can pass on to you guys is forget about women till you have your life sorted out. Once you sort your life, women will follow... and by then you won't want their attention. Also get out of your house, go live in a rat/****roach infested sh1t hole, it will make you hungry and motivate you to succeed by any means... living poor in America is one thing, living poor in a south american country, where you have no one to catch you if you fall, is a completely different one. You have to hit rock bottom to know which direction up really is, take it from someone who has been there.

I wish my wife could write her life story... give it 10 years, it'll be a book.