Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Living abroad for a few years? Please review your country / city.

Aiken_Drum

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys, I thought it would be a good idea for all of us who are thinking about living abroad for a few years to have an honest insider view on how's living in a certain country / city.
I'm very interested about hearing your reviews of Sydney, Melbourne, Barcelona & Madrid, the 4 cities I'll most probably move to in about 4 years from now (need to get my degree first).

So, here's mine:

Buenos Aires, Argentina.

POSITIVE:

- If you have a stream of passive income, you can live quite well. For example, I met a guy from england who was earning around 5.000 euros passive... he was living like a fcking king with 2500 (and I mean ****ING KING) and saving the rest. Things are getting expensier even as we speak, but still, with U$S 1500 you can leave MUCH better than in the US.

- The night life is very good, we have all kinds of clubs, opened until very late in the evening.

- Natural beauties just U$S 150 away in a plane... the south, the west, the north west, the north east, just check it out: http://www.turismo.gov.ar/eng/menu.htm

- The women are a good mix from everywhere around the world, specially Spain, Italy, some from eastern Europe, makes quite a good mix. I wouldn't dare going as far as saying "most beautiful in the world", that's bulls***, but I think we have a nice level. Most of them are intrigued by foreigners, so that's a plus.

- Most people who you'll probably meet (that is, in trendy clubs, to rent your apartment, in a hospital, in case you need it, let's hope not) speak english fairly well. I'm not saying cab & bus drivers, but you can get around with 3+ months of language training.

- Did I mention your dollars are worth a lot here :D ?

- The local cuisine is a very interesting mix from all the cultures that created this country. Ah, and if you like meat, we have the greatest asado in the world :D (asado is SIMILAR to barbaque, difference being we do it with wood, not gas as you do... damn, nice way to kill the taste :nono: !!!). Also, you have international restaurants from all over the world; you can eat anytime you want sushi, thai, greek... anything you want.

- There are some very interesting places to visit as a foreigner, the city is very interesting (not to me, I've been here all my life & I'm used to it). But places like Palermo's lakes (lagos de Palermo) are incredible!

THE BAD:

Well, where should I start? I'm afraid we have some important problems that must be balanced when making the decision to come here.

- Corruption. It should not affect you as a foreigner, unless you want to establish a business. To me, being a local, sickens me so bad. To think that paying taxes is stupid because you know our *****ing politicians are going to steal it anyway... if you want to do something good, you better donate it to Caritas or an organization like that... it's a big con if you want to do biz here. Why? Let's say you want to import something to Argentina. Everything will run more smoothly if you throw in a few dollars here & there. Most business man don't get surprised when asked for a bribe in some business lines.

- The total disregards of most Argentinians for keeping our city clean & respecting others in general. Well, I'm not saying you walk around the city stepping at garbage at every turn. But... a lot of people end up their cigarettes & throw the box at the street, even if they have a garbage bin 20 mts away. Almost everyone with a dog leaves the dog's sh!t on the floor :trouble: .
Also, about the disrespect for others... most people are unnecessarily aggressive when driving here. We have the sad honor of being one of the countries with the highest death toll for driving accidents.

- The country is currently (and that doesn't seem to be changing to me, even in the long run) experiencing a total sense in distrust in the government. This has been going on for many years, and I mentioned it above. It just sucks not having the feeling that the state is watching over you like a loving parent, and instead, you must watch be with your guard up... This will give you an idea of what Argentina is made of, politically. DON'T come here without checking this out first. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corralito . Basically, the government decided the argentinian peso was not worth 1 dollar from one moment to the other, and most people here lost 2/3 of the money they had in the bank.

- Violence. It's not so bad as brazil's Rio do Janeiro, but lately it's been getting worse. It's not like you are gonna be kidnapped the second you leave our airport. Myself, for example, I'm cool when walking down the streets at night... I'm just careful of not going through places too quiet, bad neighborhoods... etc.

So my point is, if you take this country like a place to leave at for a couple of years, is great. As for living in it for a LONG time, I wouldn't recommend it... I'm going to leave it myself.

seagull

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to live in Sydney, so here are my thoughts:

POSITIVES
+Big city, breathtaking scenery in the city and elsewhere.
+Exciting nightlife
+Lots of places to get cheap food and beer
+Nice beaches nearby. Blue Mountains to the west. Day weekend trips can be done to the North, Central & South Coasts or to Canberra (capital city of Australia)
+Lots of different places to see around the Sydney metropolitan area
+Most other major cities in Australia are only a short flight away
+Diverse population. Lots of cute Asians in the city (if you like Asian girls that is).
+Fast paced way of life (if you like that)

NEGATIVES
-Lots of drunk/violent ****heads around at night
-High cost of living
-Poor and unreliable public transport
-Poor road network (lots of traffic)
-Unfriendly and unhelpful people
-Poor manners
-Most people there are quite uptight compared to elsewhere in Australia
-Very bad and incompetent government
-Not that many good looking girls around (apart from Asian girls) compared to other parts of Australia.

Aiken_Drum

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, Seagull.
I thought all people from Australia was friendly, but I guess it makes sense; people from Buenos Aires can be rude if they are in a rush to get somewhere (as we usually do), but on the inside of the country people are much more friendlier.

But I'm really surprised to see the government is bad, why do you say this?
I guess no place is perfect!

Oh, and the traffic on B.A. is terrible on the rush hours, I forgot to add that!

seagull

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Aiken_Drum said:
Thanks for the input, Seagull.
I thought all people from Australia was friendly, but I guess it makes sense; people from Buenos Aires can be rude if they are in a rush to get somewhere (as we usually do), but on the inside of the country people are much more friendlier.

But I'm really surprised to see the government is bad, why do you say this?
I guess no place is perfect!

Oh, and the traffic on B.A. is terrible on the rush hours, I forgot to add that!
Yeah, the comparison with the Buenos Aires population to the rest of Argentina, would be similar for Sydney with the rest of Australia I'd imagine. Australians are stereotyped as being easygoing and friendly and in most parts of the country this is true. But not in Sydney.

The government of New South Wales (the state where Sydney is in) is truly incompetent and goes from one embarassing blunder to another. Most people say it is the worst government in all of Australia. They've made a mess of public transport, roads, hospitals, etc so that New South Wales is probably the worst place in the country for public services.

That said, I'd recommend living in Sydney if you got the opportunity (preferably in or near the city centre itself rather than 2 hours away in the outer suburbs), the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Aiken_Drum

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So Seagull, what do you think of Melbourne? Is it kind of like Sydney?

HeyPachuco!

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
fuzzx said:
Every country has good points and bad points... you just have to weigh in according to your goals and dreams. Here's mine:

Brazil

Good
------
Almost all the women are hot.
They like sex more than anything in the world
Its EAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASY to get laid
The food is the best in the world hands down. (Habibs)
Soccer is the most predominant religion
Brazilians love to dance, party and hangout at the beach
Amazing landscapes
Florianopolis
Cars run on alcohol

Bad
-----
Crazy Violent major cities.
Brazilians are notorious for being HOURS late for appointments
Brazilians both men and women flake all the time without calling
Lots of beggars at every restaurant
Massive divide between rich and poor
You forgot high HIV rate, but this is where I need to be!
http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshh902dOuoQkbd7c967

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sydney + Madrid = Financial capitals

Melbourne + Barcelona = Cultural capitals

From experience I'd rather live in a cultural capital with great nightlife and plenty of stuff to do. I've been to Sydney numerous times, it's an alright city, but the nightlife and interesting stuff pales in comparison to Melbourne.

I haven't been to Spain yet, but I have some friends who've lived there for over a year, and they told me that Barcelona is a lot more fun than Madrid.

The reality is that you can find your niche in almost any city, so before you just "up and move", you should do a little reconnaissance vacation to wherever you're thinking of moving.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
HeyPachuco! said:
You forgot high HIV rate, but this is where I need to be!
http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshh902dOuoQkbd7c967
The HIV rate in Brazil is .6%, lower than it is in the U.S. They are the most successful developing country in the world in combatting AIDS.
http://www.indexmundi.com/brazil/hiv_aids_adult_prevalence_rate.html

And even with that .6%, most of them are in the high risk groups, gay men, sex workers and drug addicts. Your chance of getting HIV from banging a normal Brazilian girl(using a condom of course) is close to zero. Even without a condom it's pretty damn low, though I wouldn't never recommend doing such.

seagull

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Aiken_Drum said:
So Seagull, what do you think of Melbourne? Is it kind of like Sydney?
I've only been to Melbourne for a holiday and not lived there so I can't judge properly. Melbourne is the second largest city in Australia behind Sydney, and it is only a little bit smaller than Sydney in population.

But as Quiksilver and many others say, Melbourne is more liveable than Sydney. Most people prefer Melbourne over Sydney because over the last 15-20 years the government has improved the city a lot and made it more pleasant for people to enjoy rather than just as a place to go to work (which goes back to my point of the government in Sydney being crap and useless, as Sydney was #1 for a long time until the last 20 or so years). Melbourne is also considered Australia's most "European" city with a good cafe culture and lots of cafes and small bars scattered throughout the city. It also has a large population of people of Southern European descent (Greek, Italian, ex-Yugoslavia).

If you like watching sport live, then Melbourne is probably better than Sydney because they have the biggest stadium in Australia and also generally get higher attendances at sporting matches (whether it be football, Aussie Rules, cricket, etc).

Melbourne is more popular for domestic tourism, while Sydney is more popular for international tourists, so that may say something. I think Melbourne has more substance than Sydney, once you've done all the sight-seeing of Sydney, it's a nice city but really, it's just like anywhere else of comparible size in the world.

The downside of Melbourne is the weather, it is unpredictable and cooler than other parts of Australia. I can't comment on any other negatives like public transport, the women, friendliness of the locals, etc as I haven't been there long enough to judge.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Great thread.

I've never been to Brazil, but my gf (who is brazilian) tells me that while the women are very sexual, they wont just go home with you like American chicks. I suspect she just blowing smoke so I dont get down there and go willy nilly :rolleyes: