Linux

g g g unit

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Im planning to move to a linux OS. and is it as simple just downloading it from this site http://www.ubuntu.com/ then installing it. Plus should i back all my work up??

thanks

bigjohnson

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Offload your data to some other storage, make sure it's formatted in a way Linux will read easily. A USB attached drive is a cheap solution. If you're into games Linux isn't going to serve you well, or if you absolutely need to collaborate with peole who use MS Office.

Outside that it's a really nice system, I use it on my servers all the time.

Booblepook

Don Juan
Reaction score
bigjohnson said:
I use it on my servers all the time.

Because Linux is hardly suitable as desktop.

To install Linux I'd buy a new hard drive, remove my old hard drive, and install Linux onto new hard drive..

bigjohnson

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Booblepook said:
Because Linux is hardly suitable as desktop.

To install Linux I'd buy a new hard drive, remove my old hard drive, and install Linux onto new hard drive..
Not a bad plan. There are a lot of people hwho use linux as a workstation OS, it depends on what role your 'desktop' serves. I know several who even play Warcraft on it, but more advanced or less popular games are gonna be a real PITA.

If you need Office you can run it, but if you're gonna pay for Office you might as well save yourself some trouble and just run Windows.

thehexman

Don Juan
Reaction score
I used it for a long time as a backup OS in case my Windows locked up and I needed access to files on my hard drive -- which happened more than once.
Not to get too technical here, but you should look into partitioning off a part of your hard drive and installing a LILO onto the master boot sector (I think that's what it's called). I haven't done any computer stuff for a few years since I discovered my real life :)

Linux also has a great advantage for Internet users/servers: Many widely distributed viruses will not have any effect on the system.