Limit biceps while working lats

Reaction score
I am currently using the seated rowing machine alot to work my back. However I see that my biceps give out first before I get a chance to work my lats to the fullest.

Anyone know of a technique/position/ or a different machine that works lats more while minimizing biceps?

C00L

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
heavy deadlifts. man i was using straps for the first time a few days ago and i felt my lats bulge huge after like 2 sets. It was insane. after the deads go hit the rows and the rest of your back exercises.

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
deads, wide grip pullups/pulldowns, tbar rows, bbrows, cable rows, DB rows, bent over DB rows, chinups. Take your pick.

C00L

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
maybe when you deadlift more then 125 lbs you'll know.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Deadlifts are the best exercise for building the back

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Deadlifts are only good to give size to the erectors IMO.

Damn need to get back to the studies.

Reaction score
Dont deadlifts work spinal erectors and the lower traps? More than the lats?

Afterall youre not pulling the arm into the body. The lats pull the arm into the body. If you dont pull the arm onto the body, the lats dont work.

I dont really care about the spinal erectors. They get used for all the exercises anyway.

What im asking is.... how do you guys work the lats (or upper back) to their fullest potential before burning out the weaker muscles like the biceps?

Sweetcheeks

Don Juan
Reaction score
No, deadlifts DO work the lats

It's a very common assumption that the spinal erectors are responsible for extending the spine. However, that's not true.

You guys are right, it IS the lats that are the PRIMARY muscles that extend the back. The key is that you keep your back arched or at least neutral, which is accomplished by keeping your chest out and your head up.

If you do a dealift with a rounded back (which is possible, but dangerour for MOST people), there is naturally less involvement of the lats.

By the way, did you say you were using a ROWING MACHINE for lat development? If that's the case, what you may be feeling is the buildup of lactic acid in your biceps. Rowing machines are for anaerobic or aerobic stamina, not building strength.

If you're actually using a cable row with a weight stack, and your fatigue of the biceps is actually the limiting factor, then I suggest a couple of things, aside from the deadlifts already mentioned:

1) Do dumbell pullovers off an exercise bench or straight arm pulldowns with the lat machine bar (you can look up these exercises in any decent strength training book)

2) Strengthen your arm FLEXORS (that means the brachialis muscle, not the biceps neccessarily). Do hammer curls with a dumbbell for 4-6 reps, no more than twice a week. The biceps are responsible primarily for supination of the palm, while the brachialis is the muscle underneath that is actually responsible for arm flexion.

If you have a weak link, finding alternative exercises to bypass it is only good as a short-term solution. You will have to address the weak link itself eventually, and it will take some time.

Reaction score
Yeah, I am using the seated row. I just call it a rowing machine. Its not an ergometer if thats what youre thinking.

manuva

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Great advice from SweetCheeks.

Deadlifts done with proper technique will cane your lats. You have to make sure you stick your chest out, keep your head up AND YOUR SHOULDERS SQUEEZED BACK, as if standing at attention. That's where the lats become activated.

Sammo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Deadlifts work ****en everything which makes them a necessity for a back workout. Its extremely good for putting on some serious mass, one of the best workouts out next to squats.

Deads and wide grip pulldowns/pull ups. Thats enough for lats.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For back width (i.e. lat spread) try rack chins.

To do these, get in a power rack or smith machine with the bar around neck/chest height. Set up an incline bench in front of this. With your choice of (overhand) grip, strap yourself to the bar (if necessary, otherwise just hold on), and put your heels up on the (higher) end of the tilted bench. Cross your legs to take them out of the movement.

Your body should now be in a v-shape, the bottom of the v being your arse and the two ends your feet and hands. Pull yourself up so your chin touches or goes above the bar, however you want, that's it. (adjust the height of the bar if necessary, the trick is that your arse never goes higher than your heels)

This exercise totally removes the biceps from the equation, it's solely a lat movement, and you can add weight to constantly progress (barbell/plate in lap, weighted belt, rucksack with weights in), and it'll make your lats cramp like no other.

This is a DC approved exercise so semag should be familiar with it. Personally, it's my favourite back width exercise.

(if you Google Images for rack chins you should get a good picture of it)

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Warboss Alex
(Lots of typing)

This is a DC approved exercise so semag should be familiar with it. Personally, it's my favourite back width exercise.

(if you Google Images for rack chins you should get a good picture of it)
hahha.. yes, I didn't want to type all that out ;)

Heizen

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Weighted chins are the best IMO for lats. It's the same movement as a lat pull. Your palms go ******d to involve the lats more and the bicep last, and inward to involve more bicep.

Your traps get involved in deads. Without them your shoulders would get ripped down. In deads, the weight is pulling the same direction as your lats pull (DOWNWARD). How does it make sense to hit lats with deads more than traps, forearms, and spinae erectors? It doesn't.

Your spinae erectors are called erectors for a reason. They pull your back (Spine) straight (Erect). Your lats have no involvement since they are attatched at the shoulder and the backside of the ribs. Sweet jebus, this just proves if you put enough muscle names in a post and sound like you know someting, you get 'good advice' from anyone who doesn't know shit.

If your chest is OUT then your back is arched. They way it should be. Rolling your shoulders forward is fine, but your back (especially the lower) needs to be straight or your WILL get fucked up.

manuva

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Heizen
Sweet jebus, this just proves if you put enough muscle names in a post and sound like you know someting, you get 'good advice' from anyone who doesn't know shit.

Rolling your shoulders forward is fine, but your back (especially the lower) needs to be straight or your WILL get fucked up.
No. It isn't fine. Maybe I didn't put enough muscle names in my post.

Proper technique includes chest out AND SHOULDERS HELD FIRMLY BACK.

Deadlifting to PROPER TECHNIQUE (see above sentence) will work lats... I mean latissimus dorsi.

There, is that a fancy enough word to be taken seriously?

Reaction score
I'll have to disagree with you manuva. The deltoid pulls the arm into the body. (see babell rows) Where are the lats activated in the deadlift to pull the arm in? Your arms are swinging and you use the back and hams to pull the weight.