Let's talk about "emo".

Duke

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I posted this on my myspace profile... thought you guys might find it interesting considering emo music is 100% AFC.

"The truth is you could slit my throat and with my one last gasping breath I'd apologize for bleeding on your shirt..."

Seriously... when did mothers start popping out little boys without any testicles? Did I miss something? Did I? Someone please tell me. As I sit here, my roommate (whom is still cool despite his tastes) is blaring the ****tiest music I have ever heard in my life.

I was forced to launch Itunes, stick on my headphones, and blare 311 to drown it out. But even 311 is not potent enough. I'm gonna have bust out with some extra-manly Megadeth to compensate for the pussiness that just soaked into my ear-drums.

Where is the machismo? The ****y smirks, the 5 o'clock shadows, the ass-kicking "take no prisoners, get out of my way or get killed" attitude? Tell me that Arnold Schwarzenegger didn't star in all those awesome B movies for nothing!

What puzzles me is how an entire genre of music has been built around these themes:

lack of self-confidence
neediness
being a loser

And REVELING in it all. Being a loser is cool, didn't you hear? Let's start a sub-culture of attention-*****s who get the validation they need by acting dark, depressed, artistic and elitist.

If someone really IS dark, depressed, elitist and artistic, COOL. Whatever.

People who actively try to construct a phony image that centers around being victimized and misunderstood are not fit to receive any attention, much less a paycheck. Recently, half a million people got wiped out by a ****ING HUGE TSUNAMI. The victims of that catastrophe have a legitimate reason to complain and cry.

If your boyfriend or girlfriend decided you were too ****ing needy, figure out what you did wrong so you won't do it again, and GET OVER IT. Stop wallowing in depression. It makes no sense, and the attention that ppl get from their complaining makes me boil on the inside when there are people who are REALLY suffering from REAL loss.

Sheeeyaaaat! I didn't mean for this post to get so negative, so I will lighten things up a bit.

How to make an emo song:

1. First, you have to make sure you get a lead singer who can't sing. This is the most imporatant step He has to be able to yell, but it he has to sound a lot like a woman. You know, because dark, depressed people are more sensitive than most people, and its not their fault that they are in so much pain. And sensitive people have to be really, really feminine, because an average MAN can't be sensitive.

2. It is not the emo artist's perogative to "choose to be happy." The world MADE them depressed .

3. In photos, the emo artist CANNOT look confident. Ever. His shoulders must be slumped or he must be looking away from the camera. He has to look VERY depressed, dark, artistic, and elitist, because no one understands him.

4. An emo artist's fashion sense is his IDENTITY. His clothes are an expression of his intense rebelliousness since no one understands him. The more pendents, buttons and eclectic accessories the emo artist wears, the better. The emo artist CANNOT be seen wearing any "preppy" clothes; people might think he's confident.

5. The emo artist's songs must be chock full of meaningless verses that sound really dark, depressive, and artistic. The lyrics don't have to MEAN anything or even be about anything. They just have to sound really depressive... and they must also be vague enough so that the emo-fans can assume that since they don't know what the song is about, then it must be REALLY artistic and cool.

So why do I hate emo?

The posturing, the phoniness, the triviality of the subject matter, the bad lyrics disguised as good lyrics, the focus on wallowing in depression, the "singers" who can only YELL, and the ****ing image obsession.

The worst part of emo is that ppl who embrace it are clones of each other. I'm not kidding! Individuality has faded conveniently out of the picture in favor of doing what the herd is doing to be cool.

I had to stop and consider for an entire minute whether or not I wanted to post this publicly, because I'm aware that a large portion of the myspace community identify themselves as "emo" and might attack me since I insulted their identity. I don't give a ****. If you're cool, I will like you. If you feel like you have to belong to a group to feel any sense of identity, I pity you.

Regardless, I still love my friends who listen to emo. I just want emo to die, ,that's all.

Love and kisses,
Duke

jakethasnake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Regarding the title: Let's not.

What is the fvcking point? "Emo" does not make you a better person. "Emo" does not save lives. "Emo" is not going to feed or pay for you. "Emo" is not the everyday solution to life. "Emo" does not solve the more immediate problems in life. I say trust in something else, not "emo".

It's just pop music kids (as in popular music, which is what "pop" originally stood for, anyway) -- relax.

love,

jakethasnake.

Julian

Banned
Reaction score
No doubt i was at this party that was populated by about 40% emo fags.

I went up and introduced myself, asked their names. All i got was some muffled replies and they were looking down at the floor.

I was disgusted and walked out the door.

Levex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I can honestly say that every single person i knew who listened to emo was a complete herb. One tried to get me to listen to it and understand "the meaningful lyrics". After 15 minutes of this depressing sh1t i made him stop,still cant understand how anyone can "relate" to this.

Thats exactly why i stopped listening to rock-ish genres a while ago,in this new breed of songs all the aggression is gone and replaced with some long haired pvssy screaming about his broken heart. At least now i'm able to get my "fvck you and your mother" fix from hip-hop.

MetalFortress

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ha, my sister likes some of that stuff now. Whenever I go into her room, I leave with an urge to blare Megadeth, Flogging Molly, Estradasphere, Motorhead, Tourniquet, or whatever to cancel out what I just heard.

Once when I went into Hot Topic, some really EXTRA whiny emo was blaring. I got my stuff and got out as fast as I could. The next time I went in, Flogging Molly was blaring. I stuck around for a bit.

Kidd

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Im sorry, but what is the point of this thread?

If you hate emo music so much, dont listen to it :D

BTW the music you listen to doesent make you more or less manly.

DJoneday

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree with a lot of the concepts, but i'm not sure it's all accurate. I'm in a band that a lot of people would consider "emo", and i write a lot of the lyrics. I write what is in my mind at the time...when a girlfriend of 6 months and I broke up, i wrote a few songs about it. I wasn't trying to be really artistic or anything, it was just my way of dealing with it. A lot of my music is also about other situations and happy things too.

Not to say there aren't bands who do a lot of what you say, but trashing an entire genre of music based on stereotypes isn't right. I have a few tight band T's and a some wrist bands, but i also have my share of abercrombie and american eagle. Everyone that knows me knows i'm one of the most optimistic, upbeat people you'll ever meet. Music can be a representation of a person at a single moment when they're really depressed over a recent breakup or whatever, but it doesn't reflect who they actually are.

Keasbey Nights

Don Juan
Reaction score
The only thing worse than kids sitting around complaining about their lives are the people that sit around and complain about the kids.

Just do what YOU feel fellas, no use bashing other people.

BTW some emo music is not bad at all.

SevenOne9

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hmm, I thought "emo" music was just music that emphasized emotions?

Wouldn't the band Craddle of Filth be "emo"? Because I mean, jeez...they're mad angry and sadistic... isn't that emotional?

What about, Eminem? He's pretty emotional.

I'm confused (btw, I'm not makin' fun of the band... just makin' a point). :confused:

high nrg

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke

The emo artist CANNOT be seen wearing any "preppy" clothes; people might think he's confident.
how do "preppy" clothes show confidence? "preppy" is just a label, as is "emo"

crunchtime

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by SevenOne9

Wouldn't the band Craddle of Filth be "emo"? Because I mean, jeez...they're mad angry and sadistic... isn't that emotional?

I'm confused (btw, I'm not makin' fun of the band... just makin' a point). :confused:
www.fourfa.com

emo originated in the 80s from the hardcore scene and slowly died out in the early 90s. now "emo" is dashboard confessional and taking back sunday-esque bands.

AverageFC

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have a word for people that are "emo", and that word is fag.

GlutusMaximus86

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kidd
Im sorry, but what is the point of this thread?

If you hate emo music so much, dont listen to it :D

BTW the music you listen to doesent make you more or less manly.
Exactly. Quit complaining about this. You guys are contradicting yourselves right now by complaining about this.

MetalFortress

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by SevenOne9

Emo likes to forget about all emotions except sadness and angst.

AC/DC

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I feel that the emo culture degrades traditional "manliness".

What happened to great songs like "Am I Evil?"

Am I evil?
YES I AM :D

Gotta love Metallica

diplomatic_lie

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well personally I'm not into emo, but at the same time the other extreme (music that goes like "fvck b1tch sh1t ****** faggot wh0re etc etc") kind of pisses me off too.

That's why I only listen to classical, and nothing else.

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fugazi show

I still remember some early (about 1988) Fugazi show in which some "macho" skinhead azzhole was trying to injure some of the "peace punks" in the crowd, and Fugazi's Guy Piccioto -- who was in the original emo band, Rites of Spring, before he and ian MacKaye formed Fugazi -- jumped out into the crowd, grabbed the sonofab1tch by the shirt collar, and tossed him out.

So much for stereotypes.

There's good and bad of every genre. But I've still yet to hear an emo band that can match Rites of Spring.