Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Leg Workout Q's

Orange

Don Juan
Reaction score
Sorry if something like this has already been posted. I've searched the forum and haven't found a post similar.

Ok, my question is: are just squats and deadlifts sufficent for a leg workout? I generally do around 4 sets of each excercise per week and I've found that I'm getting gains, but I'm not sure if I should be training them more given that my leg muscles seem to heal pretty quick.

Also, calves seem somewhat neglected. Would deadlifts adequately develop my calves? If not, are there any alternatives to calf presses/raises? I basically have a home gym and I can't be bothered buying one of those elevated boards just to do calf raises.

Fred Da Head

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Orange
Sorry if something like this has already been posted. I've searched the forum and haven't found a post similar.

Ok, my question is: are just squats and deadlifts sufficent for a leg workout? I generally do around 4 sets of each excercise per week and I've found that I'm getting gains, but I'm not sure if I should be training them more given that my leg muscles seem to heal pretty quick.

I personally do more than that. You might consider adding Leg Extension and Leg Curl to your workout. It's just you, but I like that kind of workout.

Also, calves seem somewhat neglected. Would deadlifts adequately develop my calves? If not, are there any alternatives to calf presses/raises? I basically have a home gym and I can't be bothered buying one of those elevated boards just to do calf raises.

You don't have anything you could stand on to do Calf Raises? Hmm.. you should get one of those aerobic "steps" or whatever they're called.

wheelin&dealin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Orange
Try it out. Train your legs once every 5 days and see if you get better results.

I do something like this for a leg routine:

Squats (rest/pause sets)
Stiff legged deadlifts
Leg press
Leg extension
Leg curl

I do calves on another day and I also have a day where I do regular deadlifts.

Eternal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What about while your doing dead lifts, you raise up on your toes each time. That should get the calf buring.

Orange

Don Juan
Reaction score
What about while your doing dead lifts, you raise up on your toes each time. That should get the calf buring.
That's always an idea.

Also, as I stated earlier, this is a home gym. I don't have leg curl/press machines. I don't have any machines for that matter. Only free weight equipment. So what other leg excercises should I do?

Big N

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I dont get why you need a step. You should just hold a barbell at your waist and push yourself up on your toes.

Fred Da Head

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Big N
I dont get why you need a step. You should just hold a barbell at your waist and push yourself up on your toes.
Greater amplitude of movement, for one. Also, if you only go from horizontal to as high as you can go, you'll end up with tightened up ligaments in your ankles.

You can just do it on stairs, I guess.

Drug_L0rd

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
ok regular deadlifts don't workout the legs as much as squats do, no where near. if your legs are feeling real sore after a deadlift day then you are doing the deadlifts wrong.

it's the back, especially the lower back that's supposed to feel sore after a proper deadlift day.

maybe you are squatting the weight up instead of pulling it up (that's why deadlifts are done on pull days). another reason would probably be that you are probably doing multiple reps on the deadlift. and one final reason that comes to mind is probably that you are doing sumo deadlifts instead of the normal ones.

sumo ones are the ones where the legs are wide, the hands grab the bar inside of the knee instead of outside of the knee like regular deadlifts. this kind of deadlift emphasises more the leg muscles.

but to fully answer your question no you are not doing enough excercises for your legs. try these:

squat (which you already do)

box squat (this is really a hardcore lift made for strength development which i do and i wouldn't recommend it if you are looking to put on only hypertrophy)

leg press

pause squat

lunges

hack squats

those are just some examples.

if you are looking to just add hypertrophy then add leg extensions in there aswell but i don't do them because i think they are the most useless machines brought out into gyms.

that's just my idea.

i train for strength not size.

Orange

Don Juan
Reaction score
Excuse my newbness but what exactly is a box squat?

Drug_L0rd

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
box squats are ideal for people who want to build up on STRENGTH not hypertophy, it's not made for that.

that is why i mentioned in my post that i train for a different reason to you so box squatting may not be for you.

it is simply a squat what when you come down you sit on a box and then launch yourself off again. it is EXCELLENT for developing leg strength and explosiveness. but like i said i do for a different reason, i need it because of boxing, etc.

but it's better if you stuck to normal squatting.