Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Lats sore after pushups?

mikeyb

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi,

I thought I'd take a couple weeks off weights and do bodyweight exercises (weighted pull-ups, pushups, crunches, etc) instead to change my routine around.

After doing the pushups, my lats were sore! I also felt it in my chest and triceps, but my lats were so sore that I couldn't do a single push-up the next morning. Also, I did the push-ups first before all other exercises. Any ideas why this happened? Is there something wrong with my form?

Thanks

Reborn

Don Juan
Reaction score
are you sure it was the lats and not the serratus muscles? You use lats in bench so they probably are present doing push ups as well. Now getting sore is another thing. Serratus and lat soreness feels pretty similar in some cases.

WesCottII

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
mikeyb said:
Is there something wrong with my form?

Thanks
We don't know mate, you havn't described it to us, nor shown a video :D

How were you doing them? Were they sore immediatly afterwards, or the next morning? Were they Hindu pushups? (they'll give your back a workout)

I got back soreness from them before, but I was doing them from some chairs ala Brock Lesnar.

mikeyb

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
WesCottII said:
We don't know mate, you havn't described it to us, nor shown a video :D

How were you doing them? Were they sore immediatly afterwards, or the next morning? Were they Hindu pushups? (they'll give your back a workout)
Let's see if I can come up with a decent description. I place my hands on the ground next to my head at shoulder width apart, the palms facing inwards, making 45 degree angles (more or less) with the imaginary line joining my shoulders. I adjust the position of my feet so that my back is straight. I flex my elbows until they are at 90 degree angles and then I extend them again until they are almost straight, not allowing them to lock. That's more or less it.

They were sore immediately afterwards as well as the next morning.

@Reborn: It might have been the serratus muscles. I was still able to do pull-ups afterwards, which I probably wouldn't have been able to do if it had been my lats. Why - are pushups supposed to work the serratus muscles?

bigjohnson

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's normal to be sore in odd places. Pushups and other body-weight exercises tend to require trunk stability and also tend to work muscles that are secondary to the intuitive movement you're working at.

mikeyb

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Brules Rules said:
Are you arching your back a little?
Possibly. I'll check for that next time and see if that solves the problem.