Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Language Barriers in Dating

DarwinTaurus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I went on a coffee date on my last day off from work yesterday. I had a match on Hinge, the woman I met is a couple of years younger than me, and has moved to Australia from Colombia around a year ago. She warned me during our initial text chat that her grasp of the English language is elementary at best. I said I didn't mind, however, when we met for coffee, I didn't realize how much of a struggle it would be. Sure, we were able to have a conversation, but it wasn't like if you were talking to someone that speaks English as a first language. I know she didn't understand some words I said, and the English words she used, I found hard at times to understand due to her accent. She's a nice lady, although I'm unsure whether to pursue or not, as I think that this could develop into a frustrating issue communication wise.

Has anyone else been in this situation, and have advice?

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I went on a coffee date on my last day off from work yesterday. I had a match on Hinge, the woman I met is a couple of years younger than me, and has moved to Australia from Colombia around a year ago. She warned me during our initial text chat that her grasp of the English language is elementary at best. I said I didn't mind, however, when we met for coffee, I didn't realize how much of a struggle it would be. Sure, we were able to have a conversation, but it wasn't like if you were talking to someone that speaks English as a first language. I know she didn't understand some words I said, and the English words she used, I found hard at times to understand due to her accent. She's a nice lady, although I'm unsure whether to pursue or not, as I think that this could develop into a frustrating issue communication wise.

Has anyone else been in this situation, and have advice?
Hi Darwin,
Many years ago,I used to frequent a Nightclub called Julianas,in the basement of a Hotel,Danced with a Swedish?much Older Woman,very attractive,She couldn't speak much English at all,but after an hour or so she took me by the hand,up to her Hotel Room in the Building,looking in her Wardrobe,it seemed like her Hubby was still on the Scene...Where there is a will there's a way,didn't stop her LOL.

DarwinTaurus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi Darwin,
Many years ago,I used to frequent a Nightclub called Julianas,in the basement of a Hotel,Danced with a Swedish?much Older Woman,very attractive,She couldn't speak much English at all,but after an hour or so she took me by the hand,up to her Hotel Room in the Building,looking in her Wardrobe,it seemed like her Hubby was still on the Scene...Where there is a will there's a way,didn't stop her LOL.
Sounds like an awesome experience! However, I wasn't referring to a one night stand, moreso about communication difficulties in dating long term, or a relationship. I think it would be difficult, and I guess I'm answering my own question, however, I just wanted to know if anyone here had dated someone long term whose primary language wasn't the same as theirs, and how they dealt with it?

Stuffnu

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dating nowadays is already complicated enough.
If you can’t communicate properly, especially if she can’t understand sentences versus a few words, it’s going to be a wasted effort when she disappears for someone else who speaks her language.
Smash or flee...

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sounds like an awesome experience! However, I wasn't referring to a one night stand, moreso about communication difficulties in dating long term, or a relationship. I think it would be difficult, and I guess I'm answering my own question, however, I just wanted to know if anyone here had dated someone long term whose primary language wasn't the same as theirs, and how they dealt with it?
Hi Darwin,Knowing the scarcity of Ladies way up there I would suggest you make the most of it...With the exception of a few Chileans,Spanish speakers are pretty rare in this Country...we have a few on the Tango Scene,seem OK,they learn English pretty quick.

parabellum

Don Juan
Reaction score
I don’t understand why you compare or even expect her language skills in par to someone who’s English is her first language. I’d also suggest to make the most of it

Masculinity

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don’t understand why you compare or even expect her language skills in par to someone who’s English is her first language. I’d also suggest to make the most of it
This. ^^^

It is irrational to expect someone who recently moved from another country to have the linguistic sophistication of a native speaker. Ask yourself how your English would be if you moved to Colombia tomorrow, and how it would be a year from tomorrow, two years from tomorrow, etc. If you like Latinas, learning a bit of Spanish may help you not only with this date, but other women in the future. It can also spice up your s*x life.

Out of all the negative things that have influenced women lately, not speaking a language well is not really a bad thing, assuming she does not have significant "red flags". Ultimately, it all depends on how much you like her, whether she adds value to your life, and whether you are interested in seeing her further.

Last edited:

Pierce Manhammer

Reaction score
This was an opportunity to get some laughs in and bond over using a phone as a translation device. It would’ve also allowed for Kino as you’d have to be close to each other to see the screen.

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This was an opportunity to get some laughs in and bond over using a phone as a translation device. It would’ve also allowed for Kino as you’d have to be close to each other to see the screen.
What Pierce suggests, plus learn some languages and learn non-verbal game.

Michael Chief

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Friend each other on Duolingo and do those "friend quests" together lol

Encountering language barriers when trying to game is a great opportunity to hone the fundamentals. It's how I learned to stop relying so much on verbal game but still became very effective with nonverbal game plus bare minimum verbal game.

The outer game basics can all be communicated in very simple language, after all. Speak confidently. Leading frame. Emotional themes in convo. Know when to SOI or be direct. Sexual state. Kino. Compliance test. Forget all those fancy techniques and patterns. If you just focus on the basics, you can have abundance.