Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Keeping Your Leverage in a Marriage / Live-in

wrender

Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't see many specific examples here of how to retain a certain amount of leverage (ie. challenge) when living with a woman or in marriage. Much of my success with my current gf stems from the challenge I present in the form of withdrawal. For example, occasionally "forgetting" to call her back, taking a few days off from communication, letting her miss me, or occasionally canceling a date. There are of course many other things I attribute my success to. Things like projecting my confidence, leading, utilizing my natural c+f, not supplicating, and generally having my own priorities play a big part in keeping her attraction level high. But I often wonder what would happen should I one day decide to live with or get married to this girl, or any girl for that matter. So basically I'm looking for some tips from those who have been in a "live-in" situation that could help me (and others) keep things fresh, and challenging, and keep the leverage in my favor.

I've had my fair share of relationships, but I've never lived with anyone so this is an area where I have absolutely no experience. I've read the articles in the DJ Bible, and the relatively few posts on marriage / live-ins by Rollo and others. But nothing very specific on the subject of leverage in these situations.

drmeathead

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
1. keep your personal boundaries. just because she is your live in doesnt mean she has an all access pass to everything. aka snooping is not now permissible

2. she is your live in not your mother. if she wants you to take out the trash, take it out next time you go out the door. you dont have to take it out at the exact time she wants it out. same goes for cleaning. she decides it is time to clean and the game is on tough for her. agree ahead of time when is chore time and who does what. now if she sits on her ass all day and you are paying your way and her way then she should have stuff cleaned up. but you both are working and or taking classes then you need to split chores.

3.try to get a place with two bathrooms.

4. for the most part she will expect to go everywhere you go socially. at this point it is ok to take her pretty much everywhere you go. unless it is designated boys night out.

5. you will find out just how much her mother calls/visits. my ex s mom would call at 7 am pretty much every day. atleast i never over slept for clinic. that is one situation you have no real control over. it either works for you or is a deal breaker.

as far as being a challenge goes, dont get upset with the **** tests. this is a big step for women and they will throw **** tests at you to see how you are handling the relationship. you are the man. it is your house. dont let her try to tell you how to do it. emotionally even. that is tough esp when yuo just want to go the **** to sleep and they are mad and want to talk. there is no getting away. boundaries boundaries boundaries. alsothey may play the no sex card. be cool. act like you dont want it. go to sleep.

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Desire and Marriage

It never ceases to amaze me how readily divorced women (and sometimes thrice divorced) are to dispense tips on the makings for a great marriage. Or more fascinating is to hear pvssy-whipped husbands parrot these same lines. Divorced guy's marriage advice is usually "just don't get married." And as I'm getting more than a little sick of these "how-do-I-get/stay-married" threads lately, allow me to toss in my two cents here. Let me also add that you should NEVER be living with a woman you don't intend to marry within 6 months. This isn't a moral issue, it's simple pragmatism. How do you maintain leverage in an LTR? Don't move in with her and I guarantee you'll maintain leverage.

I've been married to a gorgeous, fun and loving woman for 10.5 years now and we've got fantastic, whip-smart 8 year old daughter. I'm not trying to gloss myself here, but I'm inclined to say I've got a pretty good marriage. In those 10.5 years I have yet to have a guy tell me he's getting more sex now than when he was single or dating his wife, but sex isn't the issue here - desire is the root of your problem.

All of those preconditions a woman had for you to accept YOUR offer of marriage - a good job, be a good provider, a good listener, be funny, have status, being reliable, a good physique; all of that does nothing to increase her desire to have sex with you. The single, bachelor, DJ is concerned with Interest Levels the married DJ should be concerned with Desire Levels.

So how do you prompt this Desire? How do you get a woman who knows every intimate detail about you for the past 10 years properly motivated to fvck you like she did when you were 28? Women will cry, "more romance!" and men will roll their eyes and murmer "alcohol." Put out of your head right now all of thess feminine-correct notions that you need to "rekindle the fire" or find some gimmicky ritual that will lead you back to that desire she picked up from some article in Cosmo - I've gone down that road before. 'Date Night' is a bandaid for a symptom of a larger ill and this is a prolonged lack of Desire. There is nothing worse than going through the motions of a pre-planned, pre-scripted, 'date-like-you-used-to-have' only to have your wife lay on the bed like a dead fish. No amount of opportunity (which is what a date night is, scheduled opportunity) will lead to her wanting to have sex with you.

It's not about frequency, it's about quality. Frequency declines after marriage, it's just logistics (especially after kids), but spontanety doesn't have to. Would your wife fvck you in the car like she did when you were dating? Would she be up for fvcking in the great outdoors if you were hiking together somewhere? Would she be down for anything kinky that she hasn't done before or in ages or is it all just 'vanilla' sex before she finishes folding the laundry now? Here's a list of things you should do from a man's point of view:

Make her want it
If you've dated and/or been married for years, she probably feels pretty secure with you and whatever degree of control she has in regards to regulating the flow of sex. Make her uncomfortable. As counterintuitive as it sounds, this is the single most important advantage you can take. Begin to incrementally take the power that her intimacy has had sway over you for the past years back from her. When you were unmarried even the slightest bit of anxiety that she may be put off for another, better prospect than herself prompted that desire to fvck you better than the others.

Most important though is to do this covertly. If you overtly go popping off about how you're taking your balls back and she'd better shape up or you'll be looking for a woman who is into fvcking you, you're dead in the water. You have to imply with your attitude and behavior that somethng's changed in you. The best DJ principle to remember in marriage is that you will only get what you've gotten if you keep doing what you've done before.

The power of the 'Takeaway'
In one form or another DJs use the takeaway to mold behavior. This is behavioral psychology 101, reinforce the behaviors you want and punish the ones you don't, all the time remembering that too much reward leads to satiation and cesation (or at least decreased frequency) of the desired behavior. Don't buy your wife flowers in order to get her to fvck you, buy them AFTER she's performed accordingly and to your satisfaction. So many married men I know (even in their 60s :rolleyes: ) still atempt to purchase sex from their wives by 'allowing' them to buy expensive things thinking it will lead to 'appreciation sex'. In reality it will invariably lead to expected and desireless 'debt sex'. Remember, the pool boy that your wife cheats on you for didn't buy her a goddamn thing to make her want to fvck him.

Your attention is your best tool in this regard. One thing I always tell AFCs on this forum is not to give away the farm on the first date and that women are by nature attention craving. When you give away your attention without her having to seek it, it devalues your attention. This is a paradox in marriage because it's understood that she 'should' have 100% of your attention and after years of marriage there is zero mystery about you. When you begin to take away attention she's grown accustomed to she will seek it. And again you must do this covertly as she will respond to it coverty. You have to be sensitive to the adjustments she makes in her attention seeking, in conversation, in posture, in habit and behavior, becasue she wont overtly tell you "oh please pay attention to me." This will add to her desire to have sex with you (as well as respect the value of your attention) in order to reaffirm this attention. Sex then becomes a reinforcer for her in this attention seeking which you can then use to modify her behavior - in this case being genuine desire.

Other forms of the Takeaway may include certain regularities she's grown used to over the years that she takes for granted. One of these is a regular kiss. I used this to a great effect with my own wife. I would regularly come home from work and go kiss my wife as soon as I saw her, she became accustomed to this and after a few years I came to realize that I was like a puppydog in this regard, immmediately seeking affection as soon as I got home so I began to take this away. Eventually she covertly recognized this and began to greet me at the door with a kiss. She was prompted to desire that connection by a covert Takeaway.

Stay in shape
Nothing kills married sex faster than one or both partners letting themselves go physically. Most married Mothers who do so love to use their pregnancies as justification for their lack of motivation and obesity. Arousal is the important component to desire. If your wife kept herself in bikini model shape after she'd been overweight your desire to fvck her would undoubtly increase. The same applies to you. Every day I'm in the gym I see countless 30 and 40 somethings straining and training as if their lives depended on it. Actually, their lives do depend on it. For far too long we've been taught that "it's what's on the inside that counts" and how wonderful inner beauty is. Funny how hard men and women will train once they're divorced eh? The question is, what is it about their situation that would make them take care of themselves physically that they wouldn't while married? Before the divorce, they never had the time or motivation, but now it seems they have plenty of both.

By staying shape - and by that I mean better shape than your spouse if possible - you send a message, not only of confidence, but a covert understanding that she'll have some veiled competition for your attention. Thus you not only create genuine desire by physical arousal, but you simultaneously create a psychology of desire by prompting her natural competitive impulses.

Spontaneous combustion
As Pook is wont to say, "predictable is BORING!" There's nothing more predictable than sex with the same person you've been getting busy with for years. Oddly enough the spontanety principle is exactly why garbage advice like 'date night' and "keeping it fresh" articles in Marie Claire sell magazines and don't save marriages. All of these "freshen it up" ideas are predictable. For all of the wacky ideas you can come up with for 'new' sex, you're still fvcking the same lady you married years ago. You've got to be willing to push the envelope with her expectations of predictability. Suggest it when she least expects it. Tell her to flash you her boobs or some other cheap thrill when the opportunity presents itself at the beach or somewhere semi-public. Creating a condition of desire doesn't have to directly and immediately lead to intercourse. Ask her for a hummer in the parking lot before you go to dinner one night. Even the asking is arousing. Even if she turns you down you can still use her rejection to your advantage since it implies that, perhaps at some point in time, she (or some other girlfriend you had) used to do this because she wanted to. When you do proposition your wife make it seem as if it just popped into your head at that very moment. ****y & Funny works wonders for spontaneity in marriage. Again, think covert, not overt. Overt requires planning and planning = predictable and boring. Covert implies spontaneity.

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Cardinal Rule of Relationships
In any relationship, whether romantic, personal, business or familial, the person with the most power is the one who needs the other the least.

This may sound Machievelian, but it holds true, especially in marriage. If you need to ask yourself who has the greater degree of control in your relationship the answer is always her. Just like a good DJ knows, she must come to you. If you are the PRIZE and she recognizes this, you wlll inspire genuine desire. Women don't want to marry other women (with the obvious exceptions), they want to marry men and you have to man up and be a Man to do so. So many married guys I know have walked their entire married lives on eggshells becasue they put their wives in a position of being the gatekeeper of his own sexuality. "She's got the vagina man, I don't wanna piss her off" is the mantra they repeat to them and themselves. This then flows over into other aspects of their lives and places a woman (often unwantedly so) into becoming the authority in the marriage. If you are unwilling to step into the position of control, decisiveness and leadership confidently, she will only too readily do so in order to self-satisfy her need for security. I see far too many married AFCs allow their wives to step into this power vacuum because they're too chickensh!t to risk their wives withholding sex on them. Just as in single life, if her intimacy is used as her agency to get a desired behavior from her husband that's the value it has. No woman's vagina is ever worth compromising her respect of you. When you can prove to her that her pvssy is no longer a rewarding reinforcer for her desired behavior of you, you remove this agency and reset yoursef on at least a partial footing of your prior bachelorhood. Let her imagination work for you; if she believes you are still a PRIZE that other women would potentially compete for, even while married, you maintain the frame of the marriage.

As I stated, women don't want to marry other women, neither do they want to marry themselves. In becoming accommodating for her by allowing her sexuality to dictate their behavior, men often see identifying with a woman as the best course of not only ensure a consistent flow of sex, but also as a means to "keep the peace." And like in single life, this ends up putting a man in a sort of married 'friends zone', with which a woman feels obligated to have sex occasionally, and put's the frame of the marriage firmly on her terms. It's an unspoken aggrement that she controls by virtue of her sexuality. You've got to avoid these traps by maintaining a stubborn sense of your own identity and actively protect against identifying with her. You have to make her want you, by being her opposite.

blueguy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You won't have to... I think he is writing a book.

treefingers

Don Juan
Reaction score
I think this is an interesting topic because in a marriage a lot of the power and advantage over women you would normally have if you were single is gone. She knows everything about you, you can't just say 'next', she lives with you, etc. So it's like fighting with one of your hands behind your back.

RT,

I think you or francisco d' A. mentioned before that there were some older threads where some members chronicled how they turned a bad/desireless/sexless marriage around. Do you remember the members and/or threads I'm talking about? I never got a chance to read them but would be curious to take a look at them. Plus I think the OP would be interested in them. Afterall, if they are anything like what I think they are, they would do a good job of indicating what does and does not work in a marriage for keeping IL up.

wrender

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by: Rollo Tomassi
Let me also add that you should NEVER be living with a woman you don't intend to marry within 6 months.
Help me understand the reasoning behind this. Since we all know that marriage means nothing in terms of locking down the relationship, why should one plan to marry within 6 months of living together? Does it really matter? If the desire is kept alive, then a live-in situation should theoretically work out just as well as a marriage situation.

Just looking for you to elaborate on this point a bit.

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
WRENDER, you're putting the cart before the horse here. My argument against living together in this instance is having plans to marry before you begin living together.

Iron Rule of Tomassi #4
NEVER under any circumstance live with a woman you aren't married to or are not planning to marry in within 6 months.

You are utterly powerless in this situation. NEVER buy a home with a girlfriend, NEVER sign a rental lease with a girlfriend. NEVER agree to move into her home and absolutely NEVER move a woman into your own established living arrangement. I'm adamantly opposed to the "shacking up" dynamic, it is a trap that far too many men allow themselves to fall into. My fervor agianst this isn't based on some moral issue, it it simple pragmatism. I know a fellow right now who is in the pit of misery with a girl he signed an apartment lease with for a year and has had to basically live with his ex for tha past 5 months and wont get out of the lease until May. If you live with a woman you may as well be married because upon doing so every liability and accountability of marriage is then in effect. You not only lose any freedom of annonymity you commit to, legally, being responsible for the continuation of your living arrangements regardless of how your relationship decays.

I should also emphasize the point that when you commit (and it is a financial committment) to cohabiting with a GF you will notice a marked decrease in her sexual availability and desire, trust me on this. All of that competitive anxiety and it's resulting sexual tension that made your single sex life so great is removed from her shoulders and she can comfortably relax in the knowledge that she is your ONLY source of sexual intimacy. Putting your name on that lease with her (even if it's just your name) is akin to signing an insurance polcy for her - "I the undersigned promise not to fukk any woman but this girl for a one year term." She thinks, "if he wasn't serious about me, he wouldn't have signed the lease." Now all of that impetus and energy that made having marathon sex with you an outright necessity is relaxed. She controls the frame and she's got it in writing that it is for at least a year.

Just don't do it. Relationships last best when you spin more plates or at the very least keep each other at arm's distance.

wrender

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Rollo,

I completely understand what you're saying. And I can see how relationships last best when spinning plates, and keeping some degree of distance. This comes full circle as to why I started this thread to begin with. I was essentially searching for information on how to keep the desire from dying out when living with your partner (married or otherwise). I do see your point about it being a financial commitment though. And in that case one might as well be married. I personally wouldn't live with a woman if I didn't intend to marry her. I was just curious to know what the difference was in your opinion. Now I know. But I still don't quite see how any of those financial matters would be any different if a couple were married. In fact, since marriage is a legal contract, it would seem more risky to be married than to be unmarried and living together. Because at least when couples "shack up", there's no alimony, etc. if things go awry. Because like I said previously, marriage doesn't hold any guarantees anyhow.

I'm just pondering the future a bit. I'm 32 yrs old, and like others here in this age group there will soon come a time when I'd like to settle down. I'm just gathering information on the topic of what it's like to live with a woman since one day it will likely happen. I'm in a serious relationship at the moment (albeit young). And I like to think ahead. I believe that people should be able to decide if their partner is marriage material within 2 yrs of dating. If by the 1-2 yr mark either party is still unsure, then I don't see the point in continuing the relationship. So just in case I reach that point in my relationship, I'd like to have the understanding of how to deal with it effectively.

I should also emphasize the point that when you commit (and it is a financial committment) to cohabiting with a GF you will notice a marked decrease in her sexual availability and desire, trust me on this. All of that competitive anxiety and it's resulting sexual tension that made your single sex life so great is removed from her shoulders and she can comfortably relax in the knowledge that she is your ONLY source of sexual intimacy.
This is exactly why I started this thread. To find ways to avoid this. It happens all too often and as DJs we need to know how to keep the desire alive. And you've already given advice earlier in this thread that will help. I'm just not sure why you brought this up if it's something we can control.

Last edited:

Aaron B

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have experience on both sides of this topic. My first marriage I started out with all the leverage, then gradually over time I allowed her to assume control.

Marriage #2 has been much different because I have done the following to keep her interest in me high:

Be a challenge.

Ace her tests.

Be spontaneous.

Continue working to improve myself physically and in other ways.

Not getting upset when she makes mistakes or causes problems.

"Giving her the gift of missing me" by not always being available to her. Continuing to periodically go out drinking with friends and have a great time without her.

I've been with my wife for about 1 and a half years now, and her interest level is still as high as it was in the beginning. Our sex life is off the charts and we are trying to conceive a child. Every time we think our sex life can't possibly continue to improve, we are proven wrong.

Nighthawk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree with everything Rollo says except for the rule about co-habitating.

I'm 38 and have co-habited with five (if my memory serves me) different girlfriends, and also my ex-wife. Some of the earlier situations had their share of drama, and I was too inexperienced to always handle things in a DJ manner, but I don't regret living with any of them. And if you really want to understand women you need to live with a few to really get the full, terrible picture.

I have been seeing my girlfriend for a year now, and she moved in after less than a month. Crazy, but I had a good feeling about her, and she was over every night anyway and I needed the rent.

It's been a great year. Because we do everything the way Rollo advises, keeping things fresh, kinky, playful and spontaneous.I don't mean to brag, but my gf is the type of impossibly beautiful yet innocent looking asian babes that turns mens heads wherever she goes. Pm me and I show you a picture. Oh and she calls me Master. In Public. Should I not be living with her? Could our relationship improve if we were apart for longer?

So co-habitation works for me. Why? Because she knows that if she doesn't behave I'll pack her bags and kick her out. She knows I won't stand for any silly drama. And maybe that danger (much referenced jokingly between us, her being kicked out for being naughty) our mutual attraction remains sky-high.

Because, like, I know what I'm doing. Is she going to leave the best f*ck in the world? The greatest mind, the sweetest heart, the MAN (oh rare thing) that I am? No.

Aaron B has it right too. My point is if you apply your rules for marriages to two crazy lovers just shacking up, you can have the best of marriage without the messy divorce, and also get off on the notion of 'Living In Sin."

Bourne

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Great thread.

Nothing to contribute but giving it major props!

Aaron B

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nighthawk said:
It's been a great year. Because we do everything the way Rollo advises, keeping things fresh, kinky, playful and spontaneous.I don't mean to brag, but my gf is the type of impossibly beautiful yet innocent looking asian babes that turns mens heads wherever she goes. Pm me and I show you a picture. Oh and she calls me Master. In Public. Should I not be living with her? Could our relationship improve if we were apart for longer?

So co-habitation works for me. Why? Because she knows that if she doesn't behave I'll pack her bags and kick her out. She knows I won't stand for any silly drama. And maybe that danger (much referenced jokingly between us, her being kicked out for being naughty) our mutual attraction remains sky-high.

Because, like, I know what I'm doing. Is she going to leave the best f*ck in the world? The greatest mind, the sweetest heart, the MAN (oh rare thing) that I am? No.

Aaron B has it right too. My point is if you apply your rules for marriages to two crazy lovers just shacking up, you can have the best of marriage without the messy divorce, and also get off on the notion of 'Living In Sin."
Awesome. You have the perfect attitude and genuinely believe you are the prize.

The best part is that she earns the privilege of living with you by treating you like the king! (just like my wife).

I think a lot of guys ARE scared that they will lose control if they live with women. But if you handle your **** like a real man there is nothing to fear. I enjoy living with my woman and I don't want to live alone any more.

squirrels

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A universe...where heartbreak and sadness have bee
wrender said:
Help me understand the reasoning behind this. Since we all know that marriage means nothing in terms of locking down the relationship, why should one plan to marry within 6 months of living together? Does it really matter? If the desire is kept alive, then a live-in situation should theoretically work out just as well as a marriage situation.

Just looking for you to elaborate on this point a bit.
I think it's more the idea of, "Once she's in, she's in". So if you don't see your engagement with this woman being pretty well permanent, it's best to stay in different homes. Once a woman settles in with you, it's very, VERY hard to remove her. And it usually leads to bad, bad things.

I know way too many people who have moved in with their women way too soon, and when they break up there's always a slew of miscellaneous pains-in-the-ass to sort through. You get used to living jointly with someone, then sh!t falls apart and all the things you bought "together" need to go one way or the other. WIth one of them, it was a f*cking car. He's STILL trying to settle that one, and his girl is being a Grade-A b!tch about it.

And never, NEVER move into HER place. There is no dignity for a man in living at a woman's house and eating out of her hand. I've seen it twice now, and in both cases, the woman lost respect for her "man" and started cheating on him. With me. :whistle: