Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Keep your job -- if you move to India

ketostix

Banned
Reaction score
You got to love outsourcing. You can keep your job if you move to India and work for the local wages. See, no one wants to move to India so India isn't really competitive. How would the outsourcer feel if the government said it would tariff the imports at a rate to make up for lost revenue and taxes? That would make the domestic producers "competitive" in the process. Or how would they like it if they were told they can outsource to India but they can't charge 1st world prices? Outsourcing isn't really about being competitive, it's more about cheap labor and making the 1st world revert to 2nd and 3rd world levels over time. Of course, no one would actually accept the offer to move to say India. India wouldn't let them take jobs that could go to their own. They're not quite as stupid as America and western nations.

http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/topstocks/archive/2009/05/13/employees-offered-worst-deal-ever.aspx

A one-way ticket from France to Bangalore, India: $628

Pay cut: 1,731 euros per month

Avoiding a layoff: priceless?

French textile workers were recently made an offer that most, undoubtedly, refused: relocate to India and work for local wages or lose their job. The Times of London reported May 12 that the Carreman company gave its employees the unenviable choice in part to comply with French labor laws.

Carreman told workers they could keep their jobs if they moved to Bangalore at a 96% pay cut, according to the Times. They were not offered airline tickets. A recent search on Kumo.com put the cost of a one-way ticket from Charles De Gaulle airport in Paris to Bangalore airport at about $628, with a plane change.

Offshoring jobs to relatively cheaper Asian and Eastern European countries, such as India and the Czech Republic, has long been a subject of contentious debate in both Europe and the United States. But the global economic downturn has pushed the issue into the headlines again. Faced with sharp drops in demand, many companies are choosing to cut costs by moving jobs to cheaper countries. In March, IBM announced that it would cut 4,000 jobs and move them to India, sparking a public outcry. Forrester research estimates that as many as 3.3 million jobs will move overseas by 2015.

The acceleration of work moving overseas has spurred politicians to take action. This month, President Barack Obama promised to close tax loopholes for companies that move work abroad (whether by hiring foreign workers for the same jobs, aka offshoring, or contracting out jobs to foreign companies, aka outsourcing, is not clear).

"I want to see our companies remain the most competitive in the world. But the way to make sure that happens is not to reward our companies for moving jobs off our shores or transferring profits to overseas tax havens," Obama said in a May 4 speech announcing plans to change the tax code to help discourage outsourcing.

French Prime Minister Nicolas Sarkozy has made similar promises, backing laws intended to reduce the number of jobs moving outside of France and offering to help bail out the country's auto industry only if the auto manufacturers did not move jobs to other countries.

The Carreman case is just one example of the consequences such laws can have, intended or not. IBM also offered to allow employees to keep their jobs if they moved abroad to cheaper countries.

Last edited:

picard

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I wouldn't move to India for all the oil in Saudi Arabia for many reasons. Working conditions are horrible and wages are low. India is the ghetto of many businesses where employees are treated like slaves.

3countriesPlan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bad work conditions and insane work hours.. many supposedly reputable companies have workers working away their lives in appalling conditions just so "the man" can save a few extra bucks. I personally hate outsourcing. Way to give away our jobs your trust fund CEO punks.

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Anyone ever owned a business with employees and overhead and stuff?

No?

It's easy to chastise outsourcing from an employee point of view. Try owning and running a business for awhile, then give me your opinion.

ketostix

Banned
Reaction score
STR8UP said:
Anyone ever owned a business with employees and overhead and stuff?

No?

It's easy to chastise outsourcing from an employee point of view. Try owning and running a business for awhile, then give me your opinion.
Well the idea is outsourcing makes it hard to run a successful business when there's less money circulating in the economy. It's not about just employees but economics and the standard of living for the nation. Along with jobs, outsourcing reduces business opportunities. Outsourced employees aren't going to be good consumers. Once companies' competitors outsources they all have to to remain competitive. It creates a chain reaction and a downward spiral. The problem I have is the US government encourages outsourcing. I believe outsourcing and importing finished goods is false economics in the long run.

Da Realist

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
We truthfully have stuff we need to fix at home as well. All of these mega churches have sprang up, but where is the money to create industry? A guy in my city tried to get a loan from an urban reinvestment program for a plant but got turned down because the bank gave all the money to churches. I'm not anti-Christian, but you can save a lot more souls from doing wrong with a job than just a big building. Be easy to blame the last guy in charge, but this started with NAFTA. I'm all for tariffs, but if the money is not being distributed right, we really lose more from collecting taxes than not having them in the first place.

erivera571

Don Juan
Reaction score
Although it does reduce costs for consumer and business owners, I can't help but feel for the people who are living like slaves on the other side of the world in places like India. I guess there is no win-win scenario.

piranha45

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Maybe it could happen if we don't save enough whales.

Da Realist

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
piranha45 said:
Maybe it could happen if we don't save enough whales.
Actually, something like that could do it. Nature works on laws and things being suited for ideal conditions. Mess up enough stuff fast enough and you can have a problem. And when an industry depends on something natural, what do you think happens? Off topic, but it's gets me thinking about how everything could be gone with just one event.

But anyway, back to the original topic. Outsourcing isn't going to stop anytime soon. India and China are basically propping our economy up and if we pull out everything all of a sudden, we'll lose because we haven't got the industrial base going again yet. On top of that, if outsourcing is going to stop anytime soon, it going take people not wanting to buy cheap stuff which I don't think is going to happen anytime soon.

ketostix

Banned
Reaction score
Da Realist said:
But anyway, back to the original topic. Outsourcing isn't going to stop anytime soon. India and China are basically propping our economy up and if we pull out everything all of a sudden, we'll lose because we haven't got the industrial base going again yet. On top of that, if outsourcing is going to stop anytime soon, it going take people not wanting to buy cheap stuff which I don't think is going to happen anytime soon.
It's more like we are propping up India and China's economy. It's more of a case that we are willingly allowing them to own us more and more of us than that they are propping the US up. We have the industrail base still, it's just sitting idle. The US could slowly start it's domestic production back up. I do agree that it's the average consumer that has a blame for this too. But I don't think things are that much cheaper. Certainly not when you figure in all the real costs of importing and outsourcing. My point is the average person and Corporations might do a lot of things that are harmful to the nation, from drug traffic to dumping toxic wastes. That doesn't mean the government should encourage harmful trade and business practices and allow people to destroy the economy and the nation.

Da Realist

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ketostix said:
It's more like we are propping up India and China's economy. It's more of a case that we are willingly allowing them to own us more and more of us than that they are propping the US up. We have the industrail base still, it's just sitting idle. The US could slowly start it's domestic production back up. I do agree that it's the average consumer that has a blame for this too. But I don't think things are that much cheaper. Certainly not when you figure in all the real costs of importing and outsourcing. My point is the average person and Corporations might do a lot of things that are harmful to the nation, from drug traffic to dumping toxic wastes. That doesn't mean the government should encourage harmful trade and business practices and allow people to destroy the economy and the nation.
I don't know about us having an industrial base anymore. If all of those companies stopped selling here overnight, do we have manufacturers that can produced the same or better quality product on a massive scale? In some industries, yeah, but not so in others. It will take time and we're way past the point where we should have started back up because it shouldn't have stopped. As far as us propping up India I can see it for right now, but I think China is up and running right now. I saw today where the yuan may replace the USD as a reserve currency. When that happens, we lose a lot of money since China is backing up it's money with our own. And I agree the government doesn't need to be allowing other businesses to operate freely overseas without paying taxes, but it already is and my view is that the only way to do it is to support industry here. In other words, we need to out work everyone like we used to and make it worth it to work again.