Kav's Workout Journal

kav_3

Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok so I've decided to start a workout journal on here.

My goals are to basically lose weight while trying not to lose much muscle/gain some. I am 219 lbs (overweight) and around 6'1. I've followed this program before which was a couple of months ago. The problem was I became lazy around the 8th or 9th week and all my good habits came apart, so hopefully this thread will keep me motivated.

Okay so I will be following Effort's where to start thread and more specifically this particular workout from it:

http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?t=125444

DAY 1(eg. Monday)
Squats 2 x 5
Squats or Leg Press 1 x 15 (lighter weight)
Good Mornings or Stiff Leg Deadlifts or Sumo Leg Press 2 x 10-15
Glute Ham Raise or Pullthroughs or Hyperextension 2 x 8
Calf Raises 2 x 10

DAY 2(eg. Wednesday)
Incline Press 2 x 5
Dumbbell Press (Flat/Decline) or Dips 2 x 8-10
Shoulder Press 2 x 8-12
Tricep Exercise 2 x 10-15

DAY 3(eg. Friday)
Deadlifts 2 x 5
Row or Chinup/Pulldown 2 x 8
Bicep Curl 2 x 8-10
Forearm Exercise 2 x 10-15

For my cardio I will be walking 6 times a week.

In this next couple of days I plan on having all my eating habits sorted out and when I do, I'll post it on here. I will also be taking fish oil pils and a daily multivitamin for my supplements, as well as whey protein.

so what I have done so far is:

Week 1 Day 1

Max squat: 185 lbs 1*3 and a few warmup sets before that.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good work, you'll do well

Stay consistent and don't let us down!

kav_3

Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok so here's my last two workouts

Day 2 week 1 max testing

flat bench press 1 x 2 125 lbs

flat bench press 1 x 3 115 lbs

Day 3 week 1 max testing

Deadlift 1 x 3 205 lbs

Ok so I've finished my first max testing week, I still haven't got my diet ready, but I should hopefully have that figured out by tomorrow and when I do i'll post it up.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Show me your warm up for the deadlift, better to get this out off the way as soon as possible.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nice to see someone following the instructions and doing it right :up:

kav_3

Don Juan
Reaction score
Damn, I had my warm up all typed out but I forgot to post it I guess. Okay well anyways, from what I can remember this is what I did for my deadlift warmup.

1 x 5 45 lbs

1 x 5 115 lbs

1 x 3 165 lbs

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
kav_3 said:
Damn, I had my warm up all typed out but I forgot to post it I guess. Okay well anyways, from what I can remember this is what I did for my deadlift warmup.

1 x 5 45 lbs

1 x 5 115 lbs

1 x 3 165 lbs
Ok do it roughly like this the next time:

1x8 45lbs
1x5 75lbs
1x3 115lbs
1x1 145lbs
1x1 175lbs

>>>Then 1x3 205lbs

Do a similar method with your other lifts. Starting with the bar and adding roughly 30lbs whilst decreasing reps. 1-2 minutes between warm up sets and then 2-3 minutes between your last warm up and your worksets. You can also do a 5 minute walk/cycle before you do any weights.

I hope you used chalk.

Quagmire

kav_3

Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok, yeah I'll start doing my warm up sets like that from now on. All this was done without chalk, I guess I'll get some this week. Also I plan on posting my new eating plan later on tonight.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok, good stuff.

I'd also try and get some straps if you can, you will probably need them somewhere down the line unless your forearms are very developed.

As for chalk you can use talcum powder if you have to, I do this and it works just as well for me. Just don't get it underfoot.

Quagmire

kav_3

Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok so here’s the meal plan I’m thinking of, though it’s more of a work in progress, and would be open to any suggestions or better meal plans.

meal 1
5 eggs 30 g protein

meal 2

2 scoops whey 70 g + peanut butter toast

meal 3

1 can of tuna and sandwich meats = around 46 g

meal 4

2 scoops whey 70 g

meal 5
1 chicken breast 40 g protein

meal 6
2 scoops whey 50 g

protein = 236 (though I’m really trying to aim for around 2 g of protein per a pound, but having trouble thinking of actual food that could help me achieve that goal).

I’ll have to add up the calories and carbs up in the next day or two for tihs plan, unless I stumble upon sometihng better.

I’d also like to mention that all my lifting stats include the bar (which I found weighs about 45 lbs), not sure if I should be including the bar into my stats o not, but I will for now.

This also means that week 1 lifting stats should be approximately 20 lbs more than what they were because originally I thought the bar weighed about 25 lbs, which I now know it does not.

Ok, anyways onto this week’s workout.

Week 2 Day 1

Squats 2 x 5 set (I did my squat warm-ups as recommended above by Quagmire)

1 x 3 220 (too much weight, either because I did not take a long enough break between the warm up and main set or it was too much, I did not want to injure myself so I decided to lower)

1 x 2 210 (was too tired from the previous set to be able to do anything at this weight)

1 x 3 190 (easier at this weight but still really tiring. Also the weight seemed uneven so I decided to stop halfway through this first set, but it turned out it was just not evenly balanced on my shoulders)

2 x 5 190 (with 45 lbs bar, same as above)

Squat 1 x 15 set 135 lbs (I was able to handle but I was totally exhausted after doing this, also I did not do my next workout for about 15 minutes because I had to leave the gym to help my dad because he had a flat tire, but I went back afterwards to finish off my workout)

Pull through 2 x 8 set 90 lbs (could have done more but the 1 x 15 squat set was still affecting me)

Calf raises 2 x 10 set 55 lbs (could have done more for this too, but I was just totally exhausted, so I didn’t bother to try to do it at a higher weight).

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
add 9 more raw eggs to your shakes for starters

You should have a shake before and after your workout....and after workout is 3 scoops whey. So really you should be having 5 more scoops...(make another meal of a shake and eggs) if you add that all together your getting a bunch more protein

And if you want...make the chicken breast the meal (have fishoil capsules too) before you go to bed...and have ground beef after you work out instead

so your meal could look like this

Meal 1 - 5 eggs 30 g protein

Meal 2 - shake plus raw eggs

Meal 3 - 2 scoops whey with raw eggs 70 g + peanut butter toast

Meal 4 - 1 can of tuna and sandwich meats = around 46 g

Preworkout
Meal 5 - 2 scoops whey 70 g with raw eggs

Afterworkout
Meal 6 - 3 scoops whey with raw eggs

30 minutes later

Meal 7 - Carb drink (I highly recommend you get 'Carbo gain')

Meal 8 - beef+veggies

Meal 9 - 1 chicken breast 40 g protein with fish oil

Make sure you get Cage-free eggs...they are wayyy better for you

Good luck dude ;)

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So your max squat is roughly 205x3, deadlift 225x3, and bench 135x3...

Hmmm strange that you tried to go from 205x3 to 220 2x5, any reason for this? You'd have been better starting at around 180-190 for the 2x5. Ach well. Next week just try to warm up and add 5-10lbs, you know how it works.

Also here is another guide to a diet:

http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?t=134782

Shakes are 2 scoops whey+4raw eggs.

Also in Meal no.2 that you posted, how do two scoops=70grams of protein???

And where were the goodmornings/stiff legged deadlifts in your workout???

Quagmire

kav_3

Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok, yeah definetly screwed up my squats somehow, I'm not really sure what I did there lol, but for now i'll just starts at 190 lbs as my base and increase from there.

Also I did do good mornings, I just totally forgot to type it in lol.

Good mornings 2 x 10 95 lbs.

As for the diet, I think I'll probably do one of the two suggested, just need more time to look over them and when I do I'll post which one i have chosen.

Oh and the reason I typed 2 scoops of whey equals 70 g of protein is because the protein powder I got has 35 g of protein per a scoop (though the cup seems a bit larger than other one I have, which is probably a big reason for it being that way, while this other one I have has around 24 g of protein per a scoop) but yeah that's basically how I came upon that number.

I'd also like to say thanks for all the input I have recieved so far.

kav_3

Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok so here's todays workout:

Week 2 Day 2

Incline press 2 x 5 105 lbs

Dumbbell press (decline) 2 x 10 60 lbs

Shoulder press 1 x 12 1 x 7 25 lbs

Tricep Excercise (Seated Dumbbell Extensions) 2 x 10 25 lbs

Decline dumbbell Sit up 2 x 10 30 lbs (I just added this because I just wanted to do a little ab work and basically it's just going to be once a week thing.)

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do you have any idea what your bf % is?

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
kav_3 said:
Squat 1 x 15 set 135 lbs (I was able to handle but I was totally exhausted after doing this
Those high rep squats are no joke, you should feel dead after them. Keep up the good work.

kav_3

Don Juan
Reaction score
EFFORT said:
Do you have any idea what your bf % is?
You know what I have no idea what my bf % is.

EFFORT said:
Those high rep squats are no joke, you should feel dead after them. Keep up the good work.
Yeah I really didn't expect them to be that hard, but when I did them, I was dead tired.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
kav_3 said:
Yeah I really didn't expect them to be that hard, but when I did them, I was dead tired.
Just wait till you do a full 20 rep set...:up:

Keep up the good work,

Quagmire

kav_3

Don Juan
Reaction score
week 2 Day 3

Deadlifts 2 x 5 215 lbs (I still haven't gotten chalk/straps yet (I'll try to get it this week), which would have helped for my last rep when I was losing my grip.)

Rows 1 x 8 and 1 x 7 125 lbs (I had trouble on my second set and wasn't able to do it, but I think the main reason for that was because I rushed my second set, I'll probably try it again at this weight next week.)

Biceps 1 x 8 and 1 x 5 at 25 lbs (too heavy), so I did another set of 1 x 8 at 20 lbs (I think next week I'll probably start at 20 lbs)

Forearm curl 1 x 10 20 lbs (found it to be too light)

did another set of 2 x 15 30 lbs (while a little harder, I still think I could go a little higher)