Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Just how much cardio do I need?

ShortTimer

Banned
Reaction score
In my field of paper flowers and candy clouds of l
Alright I've been going to the gym reguarly, twice a day, for a few months now so I'm over the 'making it a habbit' hump.

My next problem is just how much cardio to do. My focus is on losing weight but I'm not losing near as much as I'd like. While I do use weights as well I'm not trying to bulk at the same time I drop the fat. So five days a week, twice a day I'm at the gym. The first time is weights and cardio, the second is cardio only. I only go once on Saturday for cardio only.

What I do for cardio depends on what machine I use, and I change the machine each time. When I get off the machine I am tired and have pushed myself. The actual amount of time varies, for the bike I do 20 minutes, for the treadmill it's 30 and the eliptical it's 40 minutes.

Over this last month I've had ZERO change in my body weight. I'm going to check my body fat % tomorrow to see if maybe I exchanged an equal amount of fat for muscle (but I kinda doubt it). Maybe last month wasn't a good example becuase I was sick for one of thos weeks and only ate oatmeal and chicken noodle soup the whole week.

My general diet is a lot better than it ever has been with me taking in protein, a carb and a vegi most meals. I lose the carb on my last meal. I only have one or two bad meals a week and I don't go crazy even with them.

So how much cardio do I have to do to lose weight? Would taking it up to a full hour each session be a good idea? Are there any formerly fat guys on here who have experience with this (you know I've never actually met a former fat guy who ever became a healthy weight... hmm).

Anyhow, constructive thoughts are welcome.

M2k961

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'll give you some advice. A few months ago, I was a slob - not so much because I weighed a lot, it was just how low my muscle mass was in relation to my body fat. I was 155 lbs, 5'6.

I started a cutting phase on a five-day-a-week, once a day bodybuilding routine. I work out for 45min-60min, shuffling through 3 main exercise routines daily, and bike for 30 minutes after, maintaining 160bpm. I would only bike when I went to the gym - five days a week, 30min.

Now I weigh 144 or so, and have a six-pack. Much stronger, much leaner, much better looking. This was by a 1500 calorie setup.

Measure your body fat, see if you did indeed gain enough muscle to maintain the same weight. If not, just stick to what I did - you're overtraining. Cut out those 3 bad meals a week - I know it's hard to, but seeing your body improve will outweigh any pleasure gotten from eating that ****.

So if you got anything from this post, let it be that you have to change your eating or working out schedule. Check out skinnyguy.net and his muscle mass building program.

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
first of all.... here's an answer to this:

(you know I've never actually met a former fat guy who ever became a healthy weight... hmm).
www.johnstonefitness.com

As far as the rest.... Take your diet and make a definitive diary of it, complete with numbers, calories and everything. You say "it's clean, I eat healthy, cheat a couple times..." blah blah.... but you need to make an effort to ACTUALLY track what you do. The vagueness you try by "eating healthier" is just going to set you back because you don't realize what you're really eating.

Try that, and you may find that you're not eating as healthy as you think, or perhaps you're eating too much still.

There's my suggestions

pff

Don Juan
Reaction score
They key is to burn more calories than you get. Don't forget that the normal amount of weight loss is 3-4 kg max per month. If you lose weight fast, you will gain back fast.

I think 30 minutes of cardio is enough, it should be maximum 1 hour. Don't kill yourself. Try to run with speed 8.5 continuously for 30 minutes. When you complete your mission, try 9, then 10 etc.

You may want to workout with the machines for an hour or so to minimize muscle loss.

Do cardio 5 times a week, eat clean, it will guarantee weight loss. CUT ON SUGAR. That is the key, don't eat chocolate, candy, dessert etc. Good luck!

gav

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
do cardio in less than 30 minutes to minimise muscle loss. it should be short and intense.

DO NOT, EVER, do cardio straight after weight lifting. that destroys your muscles. Instead, try to separate your cardio from your lifting. if you lift in the morning, do cardio at night, or preferably on a day off.

gav

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by PoloBlue
how many days a week should I do cardio or running?
3-5 times a week